• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Grading our summer signings

Paulinho C
Eriksen C+
Chiriches D+
Capoue D
Chadli D
Soldado E
Lamela U

I'm slightly embarrassed that I didnt recognise this at the time but to sign 7 players to replace 1 and none of them had previously played a minute of English football is quite frankly the most ridiculous piece of business any club has ever done in the transfer window.

i didn't quite grasp it at the time either - i wonder if a season later we can expect them to step it up a level after a generous bedding in year - who knows, maybe this season of inconsistency will have been worth it in the long run

Interesting that Paulinho is getting higher marks than Eriksen by some, Paulinho got injured granted but he played every game under AVB whilst Eriksen was in and out of the side and still has the same number of goals.

Opposition fans reading this will be surprised by the grades Chiriches has received, personally I think it's a joke but I won't get into this again.

Thanks - just at a glance - the 2 seasons we ended up finishing 4th (11-12 and 09-10) we made 3 (11-12; Friedel, Parker, Adebayor) and 4 (09-10; Kranjcar, Bassong, Crouch, Kaboul ) major (players going straight into the 1st team) summer signings - all from the PL.

Without doing a full analysis (and because this supports my theory!!) it would seem the correct strategy to success that season is to buy no more than 3-4 players and buy players from within the PL

Thanks - just at a glance - the 2 seasons we ended up finishing 4th (11-12 and 09-10) we made 3 (11-12; Friedel, Parker, Adebayor) and 4 (09-10; Kranjcar, Bassong, Crouch, Kaboul ) major (players going straight into the 1st team) summer signings - all from the PL.

Without doing a full analysis (and because this supports my theory!!) it would seem the correct strategy to success that season is to buy no more than 3-4 players and buy players from within the PL

We'd never have had the likes of;

Berbatov
Modric
Van Der Vaart
Bale
Sandro
Lloris
Vertonghen

if that was the strategy.

the first part would seem correct - ideally you only want to make a small number of alterations each year - i think that'll generally be the plan, just the Bale situation was a unique one last year - so much money in one go - lets not forget our squad was in need of a fair bit of work also - can certainly see why we brought so many in.

the second part, yeah it does kinda suggest that but i don't think that's a sound strategy on the whole - buy the players you think are best for the job. argument obviously being that it takes foreign players longer to settle

We'd never have had the likes of;

Berbatov
Modric
Van Der Vaart
Bale
Sandro
Lloris
Vertonghen

if that was the strategy.

Like i said that was a lazy analysis based on first glances. You have listed some of the better players that we have signed in many years but Berba, Modric, Bale. Lloris and Sandro needed some considerable settling in time and with the way that Levy expects results straight away (wrongly we'd both agree I'm sure) we were able to guarantee short term success by buying the likes of Crouch, Parker, Friedel and Kranjcar instead who could hit the ground running.

What I suspect my theory does prove is that if you base your entire transfer policy in bringing in exclusively players from outside the PL then you are unlikely to have a good season.

Well I think it's clear that our foreign imports have lifted us to the level we're at now, I don't think we'd be where we are by signing Friedel, Parker, Kranjcar and Crouch every season, they were merely supplementary players. There's no guarantee with any signing, for every foreign flop there's a Darren Bent or David Bentley so I don't think it's even a case of one being "safer" than another, I imagine it's about getting the right blend. If I could do over our summer window then I'd keep Eriksen and Chiriches who I'm delighted with and Lamela too, I'd've handled him differently to how we have so far though, he's started three league games, all away(Emirates Marketing Project/Southampton/Fulham), he should've been starting at home to the likes of Norwich/Hull/Saudi Sportswashing Machine/West Ham/Stoke/West Brom/Palace etc, he should've been played into form and comfort, I don't think we could've handled him any worse if we'd tried. I'd've supplemented those three with Cabaye and Benteke for example, instead of Capoue, Paulinho, Chadli and Soldado, five players wouldn't have been such a turnaround especially with two of them being settled PL players, I'd be surprised if we wouldn't be in a better position right now if we'd gone that way. I can be accused of hindsight but it's only what I'd been saying all throughout the summer window.

Soldado is the one that has surprised me the most and not in a good way. I was sure he would be an upgrade on anything we had but he was totally unsuited to AVB's style of play, or possibly the support players did not play to his strengths, intentionally or not.

Paired with Ade he looks much better but still no goals. His finishing now looks forced and it reminds me quite a bit of when Defoe goes on those extended barren runs. Nothing is instinctive any more and he is cutting across shots and misfiring regularly. Having seen him play quite a bit in La Liga the contrast is stark. He will do very well to turn it around now and I'm not sure he has it in him. I hope I'm wrong.

not a mention here of Baldini, the architect of all of this, what should his grade be ?

not a mention here of Baldini, the architect of all of this, what should his grade be ?

His focus is 2-3 years in the future.

The reason we had to bring in 7 new players now was because of the short termism of the Redknapp years. Remember Sandro and Walker are the only signings from that time still left at the club.

His focus is 2-3 years in the future.

The reason we had to bring in 7 new players now was because of the short termism of the Redknapp years. Remember Sandro and Walker are the only signings from that time still left at the club.

That's astounding when you think about it - more players from Arnesens time still at the club probably.

That's astounding when you think about it - more players from Arnesens time still at the club probably.

Martin Jol
Michael Dawson Nottingham Forest Jan-05 £3,500,000
Aaron Lennon Leeds United Jun-05 £800,000
Benoit Assou-Ekotto RC Lens, France Jun-06 £3,500,000
Danny Rose Leeds United Jly-07 £1,000,000
Heurelho Gomes PSV Eindhoven, Netherlands Jun-08 £7,000,000
Andros Townsend Youth Team Jly-08 Free

Harry Redknapp
Jake Livermore Youth Team Jly-09 £0
Kyle Walker Sheffield United Jly-09 £4,000,000
Kyle Naughton Sheffield United Jly-09 £6,000,000
Ryan Mason Youth Team Nov-09 £0
Jon Obika Youth Team Nov-09 £0
Younes Kaboul Portsmouth Jan-10 £4,000,000
Sandro Internacional, Brazil Mar-10 £6,000,000
Bongani Khumalo SuperSport United, SA Jan-11 £1,500,000
Brad Friedel Aston Villa Jly-11 £0
Cristian Ceballos Barcelona, Spain Jly-11 £0
Souleymane Coulibaly AC Siena, Italy Jly-11 £2,000,000
Tomislav Gomelt NK Hask, Croatia Jly-11 Undisclosed
Alex Pritchard (Youth Team) Aug-11 £0
Harry Kane (Youth Team) Aug-11 £0
Iago Falque Juventus, Italy Jan-12 £880,000
Nabil Bentaleb Lille OSC (France) Jan-12 £0
Giancarlo Gallifuoco Sutherland Sharks, Aus Jan-12 £0
Grant Hall Brighton & Hove Albion May-12 £0

André Villas-Boas
Gylfi Sigurdsson 1899 Hoffenheim, Ger Jly-12 £6,800,000
Jan Vertonghen Ajax, Netherlands Jly-12 £9,000,000
Emmanuel Adebayor Emirates Marketing Project Aug-12 £5,000,000
Mousa Dembele Fulham Aug-12 £15,000,000
Hugo Lloris Lyon, France Aug-12 £11,800,000
Zeki Fryers Standard Liege, Belgium Jan-13 £3,000,000
Lewis Holtby Schalke 04 Jan-13 £1,500,000
Lawrence Vigouroux (Youth Team) Jun-13 £0
Shaquile Coulthirst (Youth Team) Jun-13 £0
Paulinho Corinthians, Brazil Jly-13 £17,000,000
Nacer Chadli FC Twente, Netherlands Jly-13 £7,000,000
Roberto Soldado Valencia, Spain Aug-13 £25,900,000
Etienne Capoue Toulouse, France Aug-13 £8,600,000
Vlad Chiriches Steaua București, Rom Aug-13 £8,114,000
Erik Lamela AS Roma, Italy Aug-13 £29,900,000
Christian Eriksen Ajax, Netherlands Aug-13 £11,000,000

Arnesen - 2 - Dawson, Lennon
Comolli - 4 - Kaboul, Rose, (BAE), (Gomes)
Redknapp - 4 - Sandro, Walker, Naughton, Friedel (retiring in 3 months)
AVB - 13 - Lloris, Verts, Chiriches, Paulinho, Dembele, Capoue, Lamela, Eriksen, Holtby, Siggy, Chadli, Soldado, Ade

It's why I keep saying we need a manager more like AVB than like Redknapp, because our squad was built by and for a technical manager.

Well I think it's clear that our foreign imports have lifted us to the level we're at now, I don't think we'd be where we are by signing Friedel, Parker, Kranjcar and Crouch every season, they were merely supplementary players. There's no guarantee with any signing, for every foreign flop there's a Darren Bent or David Bentley so I don't think it's even a case of one being "safer" than another, I imagine it's about getting the right blend. If I could do over our summer window then I'd keep Eriksen and Chiriches who I'm delighted with and Lamela too, I'd've handled him differently to how we have so far though, he's started three league games, all away(Emirates Marketing Project/Southampton/Fulham), he should've been starting at home to the likes of Norwich/Hull/Saudi Sportswashing Machine/West Ham/Stoke/West Brom/Palace etc, he should've been played into form and comfort, I don't think we could've handled him any worse if we'd tried. I'd've supplemented those three with Cabaye and Benteke for example, instead of Capoue, Paulinho, Chadli and Soldado, five players wouldn't have been such a turnaround especially with two of them being settled PL players, I'd be surprised if we wouldn't be in a better position right now if we'd gone that way. I can be accused of hindsight but it's only what I'd been saying all throughout the summer window.

=D>

Paulinho C
Eriksen B
Chiriches B
Capoue C
Chadli D
Soldado F
Lamela U (As he's not played enough to grade)

Back