• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Geek corner - Update: Cat 5e/6 cabling

diego_maradona

Steffen Iversen
Staff member
Bought myself a Qnap 12TB Nas. Just wanted a central point to serve everything but am a little dumb when it comes to the set up.

What disk config should I use?

Re: GEEK CORNER: NAS 12TB Raid config?

How many disks?

Bit difficult to advise without that small piece of information

Re: GEEK CORNER: NAS 12TB Raid config?

4 3TB drives. I've gone with Raid5 now. Still interested to know what you guys think

Re: Geek corner

So, next question. Need to buy some cat6 cable for home.

My understanding is:

-Solid cable for wall runs as they are easier to punch down.
-Stranded for patch cable.
-Shielded (STP) or Unshielded (UTP), this shouldn't really matter too much for home runs?

Could anyone either confirm this line of thinking, or recommend any better?

Where is a good place to buy bulk from? Only need around 50m rather 100m right now.

Any old cable will do really - unless you're planning on wrapping it around power lines.

Maplin is usually decent for bulk, RS components are cheaper if there's one near you. If you're doing a few runs, it's worth investing in a decent punch tool - or make your own from a small knife - I'll upload a pic later.

From my understanding it's pretty standard to use shielded cable.

From past experience go with a good quality manufacturer instead of opting for the cheaper option like some on eBay as the cable that usually come unshielded and mine started to shred within a year.

Any old cable will do really - unless you're planning on wrapping it around power lines.

Maplin is usually decent for bulk, RS components are cheaper if there's one near you. If you're doing a few runs, it's worth investing in a decent punch tool - or make your own from a small knife - I'll upload a pic later.

Thanks. Was planning a trip to maplins to pick up a few things today so will check it out. Was going to buy a crimping and punch down tool too.

From my understanding it's pretty standard to use shielded cable.

From past experience go with a good quality manufacturer instead of opting for the cheaper option like some on eBay as the cable that usually come unshielded and mine started to shred within a year.

Thanks. From what i've been told elsewhere for runs of less than 30m tops it won't really make a difference with regards to shielded? I read that's more about electrical interference and many people have generally used UTP in offices too where you would expect a lot more interference.

Not all that much. For the run I'm doing I won't need more than 50m. I was gonna pick some 100m for £55 from Maplins. Roughly the same from Cable monkey after delivery

well if ive got any on site (won't find out till Friday) you are more than welcome to it, will only get chucked on the skip otherwise

Dam, electricians coming this week sometime. So prob need before then. Thanks for the offer will let you know if anything changes though.

Thanks. Was planning a trip to maplins to pick up a few things today so will check it out. Was going to buy a crimping and punch down tool too.

Are you making the patch cables too?

If you have enough short ones lying around don't bother with the crimp tool.

Back