• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Gareth Bale

Re: Gareth Bale

I'm actually going to start a new thread soon about how we, as a club and supporters, behave, as i think some very interesting discussion points are coming up on a wider scale which deserve a thread outside Gareth's...interesting debate...

We're going round in circles because your definitions are strange.

if you are fouled, you have been fouled. You can go down theatrically, but you cannot dive.

If the ref missed the foul or doesn't think it was one he will book you for simulation. It will be referred to as a dive by most.

I cannot remember agreeing with you more on a series of posts in a topic this season mate. it's a love-in! But stay away from the tackle son!!!! ;-) You can see Chich for all that ;-)

Chich and I have an open relationship going on... so its ok im allowed to see other people haha

We're going round in circles because your definitions are strange.

if you are fouled, you have been fouled. You can go down theatrically, but you cannot dive.

You see players grabbing onto other players shirts in the box during set pieces, that is a foul, but you'll often see players go down in the box far too easily.

If the ref missed the foul or doesn't think it was one he will book you for simulation. It will be referred to as a dive by most.

Yes, but booking you for something doesn't always mean you've done it.

If you do a good tackle, and the ref thinks you didn't get the ball and books you, does that make it a bad tackle?

How can Foy not see that foul? It was right in front of him. The challenge was right in front of Bales path. So either Foy is an incompetent taco (likely) or the rules have changed and im not aware (basically you can tackle someone but if no contact then its not a foul and yellow card)

Its funny because by the refs trying to implement no tolerance to diving they are going to start going the other way on the spectrum and book people when its not a foul. We will end up in havoc.

You see players grabbing onto other players shirts in the box during set pieces, that is a foul, but you'll often see players go down in the box far too easily.

Exactly. When youre standing there and a player tugs your shirt you are not going to go down are you? But most players do - how come theyre never called 'dives' or 'theatrical' falls.

...only if the media have gone into overdrive highlighting as such. Funny thing is, Dempsey flew over without any contact yesterday and with minimal contact on Wed, yet none of the Judgement phalanx have said a thing. It's because he is nowhere near the threat Bale is.
I believe it is becoming a tactic. Rogers and other managers have employed it. talk up the controversy and it becomes a fact. refs miss so many obvious dives your point doesn't hold water IMO mate...

Ooh you dirty devil! To keep this on thread...I won't 'bale' on you if you're ready!!!!!

haha joke is as brick as the Twunts shirt on MOTD2 now...

Nasty fudger... Chich is on the other side - if he is ready - ill just turn it into a hit two birds with one stone scenario ;)

In all honesty what Bale did was not an offense just dont understand this reasoning.

haha joke is as brick as the Twunts shirt on MOTD2 now...

Nasty fudger... Chich is on the other side - if he is ready - ill just turn it into a hit two birds with one stone scenario ;)

In all honesty what Bale did was not an offense just dont understand this reasoning.

:eek:

And agreed mate...

(sneaks off to the corner as he realizes he might've bitten off more than he can chew...oh brick, that sounds worse...nurse? NURSE!!!)

Graham Poll said:
Bale is not yet in Ronaldo's class (for diving) but he should have been sent off at Fulham

Gareth Bale is unquestionably a brilliant player. He is a superb athlete who makes and scores goals for Tottenham and Wales.

As a result he is understandably a marked man – but by opponents or referees?

His fourth caution for simulation in two seasons makes him the worst offender in the eyes of referees but his manager claims he is being unfairly victimised as his reputation is going before him.

I was called by a Spurs fan who claimed that Bale’s caution for diving on Saturday at Fulham was a scandalous decision. I watched the highlights with interest.

Irrespective of whether you think the decision right or wrong, I think all would have to agree that at the pace it was played and the amount of contact with the opponent being questionable, it was a very difficult decision.

Andre Villas-Boas raised a fair and valid point when he said that Bale has suffered a lot of injuries and often tries to avoid contact as the pace he plays at leaves him susceptible to knocks even after slight contact. It is also very difficult for him to keep his balance at such electrifying pace.

Referees will be looking for unnatural falls and the way Bale goes down is dramatic and often not consistent with the amount of contact.

There are obvious comparisons with former Manchester United winger Cristiano Ronaldo, who in his early days at Old Trafford also used to hit the turf on a regular basis.

Having refereed both, I have to say that they are different players at different points in their careers. Ronaldo was new to English football, having come from Portugal where players going to ground is an accepted practise – he thought that was right. Bale understands the Premier League and the expectations within it.

Referees need to study the DVDs of Bale very closely and think about their approach towards him. Why, for example, would he dive in a neutral position in midfield?

Could it be that he is wary of getting injured and is pulling out of challenges - not to ‘con’ the referee into giving a free-kick, but to avoid injury?

Is he appealing for the free-kick or just getting up and on with the game? After all, when a referee is unsure there is nothing wrong with playing on in such a situation.

Perhaps a meeting between a senior referee and Bale and his manager would help each other see the opposing viewpoint. At that meeting, I would hope that the referee’s side would point out that whatever the decision, Bale should not applaud sarcastically as he did on Saturday. That should have resulted in his dismissal for a second caution.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2241868/Gareth-Bale-sent--Graham-Poll.html

The only reason there is a statement that he should've been sent off, is with regards to the clapping gesture. Technically it is correct. But frankly, I'm surprised Bale didn't volley abuse at him such would the frustration have been. Foy made a poor decision, that he countered that with technical leniency in the face of sarcasm should not be allowed to counter that fact IMHO.

The only reason there is a statement that he should've been sent off, is with regards to the clapping gesture. Technically it is correct. But frankly, I'm surprised Bale didn't volley abuse at him such would the frustration have been. Foy made a poor decision, that he countered that with technical leniency in the face of sarcasm should not be allowed to counter that fact IMHO.
For all his faults Foy is known to be reluctant to send players off so maybe Bale knew that and took a calculated risk. Most refs would not have have hesitated. But it'slooking like it's going to take a sending off and a ban before Bale finally gets the message.

For all his faults Foy is known to be reluctant to send players off so maybe Bale knew that and took a calculated risk. Most refs would not have have hesitated. But it'slooking like it's going to take a sending off and a ban before Bale finally gets the message.

The message not to clap the ref?

Why, how often has he done it, before saturdays game?

Not something i had noticed..

The message not to clap the ref?

Why, how often has he done it, before saturdays game?

Not something i had noticed..

He has never done it before as far as I can recall.

I just think Bale, especially as its been two yellow cards in a week, is feeling the heat and he is frustrated now. This is why AVB said what he said in the media and im glad he spoke out. If it happens again I want AVB to become even more aggressive and more critical.

Maybe Bale has to learn to make his falls less theatrical....

As for diving in the penalty area, the City striker who won a penalty after tangling with Fellaini went down far too easily imho, and that is diving of the worst sort.

Maybe Bale has to learn to make his falls less theatrical....

As for diving in the penalty area, the City striker who won a penalty after tangling with Fellaini went down far too easily imho, and that is diving of the worst sort.

Exactly but because there was clear contact people dont mind the fall. Just because Bale was not hit really hard doesnt make it less of a foul than the Dzeko one by Fellaini

Simple solution - referees can give free kicks for simulation, but not cards. Cards/suspensions awarded retrospectively.

Where the incident in question directly leads to a goal...I don't know, personally I'd like it chalked off, but if we go down that route I suspect the EPL turns into the NFL pretty quickly.

Gareth Bale was fouled twice. Gareth Bale (the foulee) was booked twice. That is a conspiracy where I come from.

Back