• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Gareth Bale

If left wing is not working, take on a more free role.

If we are lacking width, go on the left wing.

So to answer your original question. Yes, left wing or free role.

He is currently spending most of his time roaming and occasionally popping up on the left wing.
I'd prefer if he spent most of his time on the left wing (or at least switching with Lennon on the right) and occasionally drifting.

I have no problems with Bale roaming into the centre, or roaming across field or even swapping positions with the right sided midfielder for a while.

But he has to also roam wide left at times. At the moment he's spending very little time wide left, that diminishes the value of two of his best abilities, running at people and crossing.

Extreme movements is the key for me, especially when faced with teams parking the bus. All the way wide left, hugging the touchline, pushing into the centre even cross field, drop deep and allow Ekotto to push on beyond him and then join the attack later, push way up close to the offside line. Lately his area of operation has been too small and too narrow.

I don't mind him doing it every now and then just to keep the defence on their toes, but he seems to be spending MOST of the game roaming these days rather than staying on the left.

He has to stay on the left and only change wings to the right if we have lennon on who can hug the line on the left, we need wingers because our replacements like krancjar are not good enough.

Bale is no where near as good as he likes to think he is, he really needs to work on his right foot.

I agree with most of the above - he should spend the vast majority of his time on the left

Both to destroy the right back, and to help out poor Benny

We need to be more solid and that comes from EVERYONE defending properly, not fannying about up front leaving huge gaps

For the record I felt Bale was not awesome at Norwich - he was frustrating me throughout the first half roaming all over the shop and standing on Adebayor and VdV's toes

Eventually it dropped to him in the box (from Adebayor) and he knocked it in, then it was all sweetness and he charged through later on.

But I think we look much better with him on the left.

Final thought - Terry Henry used to spend half the game on the left wing to find space, so surely the same should apply to G. Bale - stay left to gain space, don't go into the overcrowded middle and stand on Adebayor's toes

How do you foul someone without making contact?

intent, making a player adjust to avoid injury and stopping their advantage. happens all the time

but bale was touched of this i have no doubt after looking at a recording several times in slowed slow motion. its incredible that hardly anyone has seen it

Schezney didn't touch him IMO. Gibbs might have but again I do not think it was a penalty and I definately don't think Gibbs contact made him drop to the floor.

gibs made contact with bale and not the ball, why does bale have to stay on his feet? i dont understand why he has to stay on his feet when someone mistimes a tackle and makes contact with the opposing player and not the ball

scezeby did clip his foot, of this i SWEAR!!! get a HD replay of this on a HD screen and look at scezeny's hand and bale's foot. he touched him and not the ball

now neither the gibbs or scemevzeny contact was enough to make him drop , but it was contact..from two players in opposing directions who both missed the ball....why bale has to stay on his feet when he can gain advantage by punishing people that fall prey to the rules is beyond me

This thread is a fudging embarrassment. Bale dived. End of. How can there be any debate about this? Why do you think there are no neutrals who are even debating the issue? In real time, it looked like a foul, because it seems Bale has perfected the art of diving. With replays, you can clearly see it wasn't.

THIS IS CHEATING.

I don't know what's a bigger embarrassment, the fact that one of our star players keeps doing this, or that there are so many of you who keep defending him for it. It's disgusting. Our first goal yesterday was a lucky deflection but I was jumping around the room with joy. I hardly celebrated the second (didn't actually want to but going up 2-0 against Arsenal was too much to hold in), because that shouldn't have been a goal.

Some of you are saying that it's just part of the game and that everyone does it. That's the complete wrong attitude to take, you should be disgusted with anyone that does it, Spurs player or not, as that's the only way we'll stamp it out. But the worst of you are those who can't (or won't) even see that it was a blatant dive. I always thought Spurs fans were better than that, but I guess not.

I agree with the sentiment of your post, the fact that people still defend his diving even though he's been doing it for a few years now is embarassing. That being said, I thought it was a penalty yesterday, a gooner at my work even said it was a foul by Gibbs. I would have been kicking the fudge out of my tv had that not been given if I'm honest.

You're wrong.

Wrong about neutrals. Wrong about it not being a foul. I was unsure up until half time when Norwegian TV showed the images again, clearly showing that Gibbs touched Bale's heel. Everyone in the studio agreed. You're right that there shouldn't be a debate though. It was a foul.

It was a pen in my opinion, but most neutrals do agree that Bale is a bit of a diver. It seems to be just Spurs fans who can't see it. I accept that it doesn't take much to knock you off balance when you run at Bale's speed, but people weren't as forgiving when Ronaldo did it and there's no doubt Bale goes down without any contact on occasion.

This thread is a fudging embarrassment. Bale dived. End of. How can there be any debate about this? Why do you think there are no neutrals who are even debating the issue? In real time, it looked like a foul, because it seems Bale has perfected the art of diving. With replays, you can clearly see it wasn't.

THIS IS CHEATING.

I don't know what's a bigger embarrassment, the fact that one of our star players keeps doing this, or that there are so many of you who keep defending him for it. It's disgusting. Our first goal yesterday was a lucky deflection but I was jumping around the room with joy. I hardly celebrated the second (didn't actually want to but going up 2-0 against Arsenal was too much to hold in), because that shouldn't have been a goal.

Some of you are saying that it's just part of the game and that everyone does it. That's the complete wrong attitude to take, you should be disgusted with anyone that does it, Spurs player or not, as that's the only way we'll stamp it out. But the worst of you are those who can't (or won't) even see that it was a blatant dive. I always thought Spurs fans were better than that, but I guess not.

this is like watching a faulty towers classic....you yelling bloody murder and yet when you turn round no crime has been committed.

i'll tell you what's minorly irritating, you on your high horse like football is perfect. it isnt, people dive, and its bad when it happens. if you are THAT disgusted by it, lead a campaign to sell bale. i'd say i dareyou to do that but i dont think you have that moral superiority turned on quite high enough to stand your ground on something like that

and bale was touched. this isnt UFC......you make contact in the box then the player is going to most likely drop...two players made contact with bale and not the ball. either you havent looked hard enough at the replay or your just knocking one out the chamber every time you feel the need to point out the evil that is a spurs supporters backing their own player in a grey area

intent, making a player adjust to avoid injury and stopping their advantage. happens all the time

but bale was touched of this i have no doubt after looking at a recording several times in slowed slow motion. its incredible that hardly anyone has seen it

I agree. I'm amazed that people have just accepted it even though you can clearly see Gibbs touch his leg. It's a clear foul. Not that it matters of course, it just annoys me.

Don't get annoyed mate, there are some here who see how one views Gareth Bale as a way with which to judge their moral fibre...it's getting tedious. I personally wish he'd just stop attacking whatsoever and not get himself into these awful positions where someone might foul him but not in such an egregious 'tried-to-break-his-leg' way that it warrants reprisal!!! OR I wish offenders would just try to break his legs so as we don't have to have this tedious fudging argument. There. Wouldn't that be better LOL!!!!!!!

Seriously, it's just pathetic IMHO, almost Monty Python-esque the lengths to which some people will go to prove they're 'decent moral footballing folk'...

this is like watching a faulty towers classic....you yelling bloody murder and yet when you turn round no crime has been committed.

i'll tell you what's minorly irritating, you on your high horse like football is perfect. it isnt, people dive, and its bad when it happens. if you are THAT disgusted by it, lead a campaign to sell bale. i'd say i dareyou to do that but i dont think you have that moral superiority turned on quite high enough to stand your ground on something like that

and bale was touched. this isnt UFC......you make contact in the box then the player is going to most likely drop...two players made contact with bale and not the ball. either you havent looked hard enough at the replay or your just knocking one out the chamber every time you feel the need to point out the evil that is a spurs supporters backing their own player in a grey area

Superb! JUST read this...I mentioned Python, we both thought Cleese...wish Harry and the boys had been as much in touch...

I have no problems with Bale roaming into the centre, or roaming across field or even swapping positions with the right sided midfielder for a while.

But he has to also roam wide left at times. At the moment he's spending very little time wide left, that diminishes the value of two of his best abilities, running at people and crossing.

Extreme movements is the key for me, especially when faced with teams parking the bus. All the way wide left, hugging the touchline, pushing into the centre even cross field, drop deep and allow Ekotto to push on beyond him and then join the attack later, push way up close to the offside line. Lately his area of operation has been too small and too narrow.

100%.
He can switch it up for 15-20 mins during a match!

He has to stay on the left and only change wings to the right if we have lennon on who can hug the line on the left, we need wingers because our replacements like krancjar are not good enough.

Bale is no where near as good as he likes to think he is, he really needs to work on his right foot.

Agreed, and if he had a right foot he would be unplayable always...

Back