• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Footballers that are Spurs-fans?

think everyones missed Jake Livermore off this list?

Yeah, can never forget Livermore. Still remember that post-match interview after he scored against Barca in the Wembley Cup a few years back.

'What's it like to score against the best team in the world?'

'Score against the best team in the world? I play for them.'

Instant legend. :D

Just watching Jamie O'Hara on some Sky Sports fantasy football programme. Turns out then when he used to train with Arsenal as a youngster, he would wear a Spurs shirt under his Arsenal one =D>

Yeah, can never forget Livermore. Still remember that post-match interview after he scored against Barca in the Wembley Cup a few years back.

'What's it like to score against the best team in the world?'

'Score against the best team in the world? I play for them.'

Instant legend. :D
Wow. What a way to silence the interviewer!

Personally reckon 5% (at most) of any top premier league player, past or present, supports the club, or even comes close, to what we would define a supporter. This aint based on attendances, but just gut 'feel' for the club, through winning and losing. All the posters on here know that feeling, irrespective of where they reside. I suspect 95% of these players don't, not just because of money, but many, who are young enough, will have been taken into youth academies etc, and not had the liberty of lording it up at Millwall in 2001, or meeting Leeds in 81 near the British Queen, or simply going out with their mates to a game.

Mackie: I’d love to put one over on my heroes
By ED AARONS
Last Updated: 23rd September 2012

JAMIE MACKIE grew up supporting Tottenham but the QPR ace wants to continue their misery at White Hart Lane today.
New Spurs boss Andre Villas-Boas is still waiting for his first win in front of his home supporters after three successive draws.
Rangers make the short trip to North London today hoping to win at the Lane for the first time since May 1994 when Mackie was an eight-year-old growing up in Surrey.
And the Scottish star, 27 yesterday, admits he would love to get one over his team — even if it wrecks their chances of challenging for a Champions League spot.
Mackie said: “My brothers are big Man United fans, being from Surrey — but I went for a London club and Tottenham was the one.
“I have always supported them and a lot of my friends do as well, so it is a good chance to play against them again.
“We are desperate to get a first win against a top Spurs side who have got quality all over the place.
“We have some good players, too, though and I am looking forward to the game.”
R’s boss Mark Hughes has lost striker Andrew Johnson for the whole season with a knee injury and could decide to play Bobby Zamora as a lone frontman today.
But Mackie, who has been used mainly as a winger under Hughes, thinks he can fill AJ’s boots if he gets the call.

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepag...put-one-over-on-his-heroes.html#ixzz2Bm15pFCH

We tend to define fans as those who started supporting the club when they first started following the game, usually as kids in Britain, and critcise fans who change allegiance. So unless a player is a Spurs fan before he joins the club we shouldn't expect them to be a Spurs fan first. Of course, they will develop an allegiance and become a fan in the broader sense, but they should keep primary allegiance as a fan to their boyhood club*.

* Not taking account of the Irish exemption

Teddy Sheringham
Jamie O'Hara
Glenn Hoddle
Michael Thomas
Kerry Dixon
Matt Le Tissier
Luke Young
Paul Robinson (left back not keeper)
Tim Sherwood (though some debate as to whether he was a gooner)

Sherwood is a gooner. 1 million percent

Every young player these days seems to support Arsenal. It's bloody annoying. In the space of a week, I've heard quotes from Wilifried Zaha, Tom Ince, Yann M'Vila, and some unknown French player saying how they all supported Arsenal as kids.

The best we can do is Jamie Mackie? Sigh. I suppose it's because in the early 2000's, when most of these lads were growing up, Arsenal had Henry, Pires and Viera while we were middling along with Bunjevcevic, Ricketts and Rasiak.

Every young player these days seems to support Arsenal. It's bloody annoying. In the space of a week, I've heard quotes from Wilifried Zaha, Tom Ince, Yann M'Vila, and some unknown French player saying how they all supported Arsenal as kids.

The best we can do is Jamie Mackie? Sigh. I suppose it's because in the early 2000's, when most of these lads were growing up, Arsenal had Henry, Pires and Viera while we were middling along with Bunjevcevic, Ricketts and Rasiak.
The correct term is glory hunters.

Personally reckon 5% (at most) of any top premier league player, past or present, supports the club, or even comes close, to what we would define a supporter. This aint based on attendances, but just gut 'feel' for the club, through winning and losing. All the posters on here know that feeling, irrespective of where they reside. I suspect 95% of these players don't, not just because of money, but many, who are young enough, will have been taken into youth academies etc, and not had the liberty of lording it up at Millwall in 2001, or meeting Leeds in 81 near the British Queen, or simply going out with their mates to a game.

On the contrary, I think the vast majority of players have a team they would say they are a "fan" of! Depends how you define "fan" mate. People will call themselves a fan from anywhere in this possible spectrum:

- they go to every game home and away, have the walls in their home plastered with memorabilia, club badge tattooed on their chest, spend all their spare time posting on xxxxxx FC forums
- they go to a large number of matches and frequently get into debates with fans of other teams, often with a far too blinkered view
- they go to a few matches a season and watch what they can of the remainder on TV. Release of the new club shirt is one of the highlights of the year
- they go to maybe one game a season, but always knows when their team is playing and looks out for their result first.
- don't go to matches anymore (possibly never have been) but have a strong affinity to a team based on childhood experiences. Used to go to games/wear club shirts/have player posters on their wall/get into heated debates with a blinkered point of view
- they call themselves a fan but have no active involvement whatsoever. Often just because they live in that city, or there is a family link eg husband/dad is a xxxx fan

Personally, I feel all of the above are "fans", bar the last group. Professional footballers, unless they actually play for the team they support, will solely fall into the penultimate one. They cannot go to watch most of their real team games as they play for another side. It's not really that wise for them to actively promote their real team too.... Could you imagine what it would be like if Aaron Lennon said "Leeds are number one for me" or Benoit said "I'm PSG till I die"? All we want to know is that they are 100% committed to the Tottenham cause, at least because we are paying them for that.

But I bet when Spurs get off the field on a Saturday afternoon, you do get situations where Walker is asking anyone he can now Sheffield United got on, or Bale is straight on his phone to check Cardiffs result. I don't know if Lennon is a Leeds fan etc by the way, just saying that these are the sorts of scenarios that exist because these are still 20, 25 year old guys who like all guys are still kids at heart. Ironically, the more removed they become from the reality we know as the real world, they will lose the sense of escapism and dreaming we get as footie fans, but I am sure that the vast majority of players still have in interest in one team ahead of any other in some way, because its THEIR team.

Think back to when you were at school.... Almost all of the lads who were interested in football were passionate about a team. Only one team, normally. And the better you were, the more nuts you were about football. Not always - I was crap at football at school (not much better now!) but I was spurs nuts and everyone knew it.

It really depends how you define a fan but I believe for most people it's rooted in childhood experience, it gets in your blood and once it's there, you can't take it out. You can lose friends, family, home, work, but it's a constant and even if Spurs got relegated out of the league, while they exist - and they probably always will - then that's who I support, and I can't change that, even if I wanted to try.

Last edited:
All about opinions CB, I think your post holds true for most with normal backgrounds, but normality for these players is somewhat different to most. I think there's quite a few players from the Robbie Keane school of thought.

The Charlton Manager - Powell or somethin - totally forgot his name.

Me

Chris Powell. I recall watching Spurs v Charlton at WHL back in the Jol days. Powell went to take a throw-in in front of where I was sitting and someone shouted "oi Powell you're Spurs and you know you are" - to which he gave us a little thumbs up behind his back. We cheered him for the rest of the game.

Back