• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Fitness / Nutrition thread 2019

spurspinter1

Paul Stalteri
Couldn't seem to find a previous one so thought it'd be cool to have a thread where we can swap training tips, meal plans, progress updates etc etc

Anyone on here recently started a bit of a fitness drive?

A gym opened up in my office building around March this year so it meant I had even less excuses than before to actually get in to shape and it's meant that I've been going pretty regularly on lunches now ever since so it's become part of the routine.

Think I've managed to improve general fitness but now looking to push to the next level in terms of nutrition + training techniques. Really want to give white collar boxing a go but think I'd get blown away until I can get a bit more mass but also want to be able to play football to a decent standard.

I've recently become a little bit more in control of what I eat and am looking for some easy but healthy mean plans for weight gain. Always been tall and slim but have gone through stages of being unbelievably unhealthy (booze, smoking, drugs, junk food) and had started to develop a paunch whilst managing to still be considered lanky; less than ideal. I have been doing a bit of research and do feel like I've found a nice balance, happy to post my general daily food plan when I can be arsed and happy to take any pointers and would appreciate links to decent websites for this sort of thing, especially if it's boxing focused.

After speaking to a few folks there who I presume know what they're talking about (on the basis that they're hench AF), I've recently started getting to the gym around 8am to do half hour cardio for fat burning and then an hour of weight training usually at 12pm. Logistically I'm still getting used to it but after a full week it's been pretty great and find myself much more alert in the mornings and energized throughout the day.

Got a Peloton bike earlier in the year, home spin class bike if you are unaware, which has been great for my GF and I. I've gone from no exercise whatsoever to doing 30-45 minute HIIT/Tabata style classes 4 or 5 times+ a week - been a revelation really.

Need to start thinking about doing a weights routine i suppose but I've never been able to get on with going to the gym - anyone got a home weights set up?

Got a Peloton bike earlier in the year, home spin class bike if you are unaware, which has been great for my GF and I. I've gone from no exercise whatsoever to doing 30-45 minute HIIT/Tabata style classes 4 or 5 times+ a week - been a revelation really.

Need to start thinking about doing a weights routine i suppose but I've never been able to get on with going to the gym - anyone got a home weights set up?
You can do pretty much anything you need with a pair of dumbbells and a few feet of space.

This is pretty decent: https://www.menshealth.com/uk/building-muscle/g752632/home-dumbbell-workout-six-pack-three-weeks/

You can do pretty much anything you need with a pair of dumbbells and a few feet of space.

This is pretty decent: https://www.menshealth.com/uk/building-muscle/g752632/home-dumbbell-workout-six-pack-three-weeks/

If only someone had sent this link to those who designed our health and wellbeing centre for the new training facilities, dammit!!!

Is that one where you link in with an instructor who is leading a class of folks from all over the place? Those things seemed pretty cool to me. Also tabata is news to me, will have a look in to it.

If only someone had sent this link to those who designed our health and wellbeing centre for the new training facilities, dammit!!!

Is that one where you link in with an instructor who is leading a class of folks from all over the place? Those things seemed pretty cool to me. Also tabata is news to me, will have a look in to it.

Yeah, there's a catalogue of thousands of pre recorded classes ranging in length of time and style of work out plus loads of different floor exercise classes and yoga etc plus if it floats your boat you can log in and ride live classes as they're recorded - the GF does those, i do the pre recorded ones.

Tabata is similar to HIIT but instead of being 1 to 1 effort v recovery it's 2 to 1, so for example 40 secs all out effort then a 20 second recovery - do that for the length of a class and you bloody well know about it.

@billyiddo - What do you think of the Peleton? Read a lot about it and that type of thing is getting pretty big but do you miss being at a gym or using a variety of equipment as in does it get tedious cycling all the time or is there enough variety? And what happens if you drop the subscription - do you just end up with an expensive spin bike? When I eventually move house would love to get somewhere where I can put a home gym in.

@billyiddo - What do you think of the Peleton? Read a lot about it and that type of thing is getting pretty big but do you miss being at a gym or using a variety of equipment as in does it get tedious cycling all the time or is there enough variety? And what happens if you drop the subscription - do you just end up with an expensive spin bike? When I eventually move house would love to get somewhere where I can put a home gym in.

Sorry mate i was never an active gym goer so cannot give you any advise from that perspective - in fact I've never managed to hold down any sort of routine for a notable amount of time so this has well and truly bucked the trend in that regard.

Probably hard to justify the cost if it's in addition to a gym membership but if you're looking for something to replace one then it's worth looking at.

Afaia without the subscription you will just be left with a 2k exercise bike so you'd have to factor that in

I’ve lost nearly a stone and a half since July :D

Another upside of being off work, managing my stress (and the related bad eating and alcohol drinking), and being able to focus on getting full sleep, relaxation, exercise & movement and nutrition.

Big challenge is keeping it going now I’m back in the Roland Rat race. 2 weeks in, working in London every day, and I’m still losing 2 lbs a week..... fingers crossed!

I’ve lost nearly a stone and a half since July :D

Another upside of being off work, managing my stress (and the related bad eating and alcohol drinking), and being able to focus on getting full sleep, relaxation, exercise & movement and nutrition.

Big challenge is keeping it going now I’m back in the Roland Rat race. 2 weeks in, working in London every day, and I’m still losing 2 lbs a week..... fingers crossed!

It's probably all that exercise you get typing away on here mate! Fair play though, sounds like you're in a good routine whilst having returned to the working world?

I've signed up for a boxing gym and with a few intro offers making it not so expensive it looks like I'll be doing a group class and a one to one session a week, both an hour long. First group session tomorrow morning.

I've taken this month off the booze and thinking I might wanna keep that up come the end of October, really struggle with moderation sometimes and I'm worried if I go back to it I'll lose a lot of momentum on the fitness side of things..

Has anyone got any websites on nutrition for boxing training that they'd recommend? Most seem to be a lead in for this protein shake or that one...

Back