• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

First car advise

I fancy a bird's motor, wouldn't mind a two seater hard top convertible Merc. Is that too gay?

Guy at work has the SLK. He is around your age, 60 ish, and the car makes him seem a lot younger. Only got the 1.8 engine, but goes like a dream. I'd go for it if I didn't need to ferry the kids/dog/golf clubs around.

Guy at work has the SLK. He is around your age, 60 ish, and the car makes him seem a lot younger. Only got the 1.8 engine, but goes like a dream. I'd go for it if I didn't need to ferry the kids/dog/golf clubs around.
:ross::ross::ross:

Brilliant. :)

54 on Saturday actually. ;)

Just recently bought a 2000 reg BMW 330ci coupe for £1600 so there's plenty of bargains to be had.

Regarding mileage, you really want to be aiming for a car that has done around 7k to 10k a year. German made engines (BMW, Audi, Skoda, VW) like to be driven. You'll have all sort of problems with clogged engines if you buy low mileage high age. You can't go wrong with german cars with 80k to 130k miles. Best bet is to look on autotrader and see what sort of miles are on the models you want. If there's very few with 100k+ miles, don't buy them as they obviously don't last. But there's plenty of BMWs and Audis with even 300k+ miles and still going strong

So I should avoid the 325 SE I've seen... 57 plate, automatic 35k miles? Under £10k asking price.

It's totally up to you. I think £10k sounds a lot for a 6 year old car. If I were you I'd go for one with a few more miles on and save myself £3k.

If you're looking at a BMW you really cannot go wrong, the engines are pretty much bullet proof. Things to look for are leaking coolant, bent radiators, knackered bushes or rusting on the wings. If all that is ok you're good to go :)

Look at this one for example. Sure the miles seem high but you get so much more for your money and it'll last years

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...i/page/1/postcode/hp51rt/radius/100?logcode=p

Cheers for all the help folks
Bought a nice wee 307 03 plate today

Quick question though as I haven't passed my test and don't intend to drive this car until I do what kinda insurance do I need and where will I get it from? As its bot getting used until I pass

Cheers for all the help folks
Bought a nice wee 307 03 plate today

Quick question though as I haven't passed my test and don't intend to drive this car until I do what kinda insurance do I need and where will I get it from? As its bot getting used until I pass

I'd go fully comprehensive, is more expensive than 3rd party but worth it.

And worth trying the comparison sites for quotes, though look out for what they don't include that could be added extras - personal injury cover, legal cover, courtesy car, etc.

And be careful on the mandatory excess you pay if you make a claim. Could be as low as £100 in some policies or up to £500!

My car is taxed for 6 months and has just passed its mot

If I park it on my mums drive off the main road do I need to insure it? It will not be used in any way until I pass my test

My car is taxed for 6 months and has just passed its mot

If I park it on my mums drive off the main road do I need to insure it? It will not be used in any way until I pass my test

I believe so, I think the law has changed in recent years but I'm happy to be corrected.

My son passed his test back in April and he has us on his insurance as it really brings the price down. Still bloody extortionate though.

My son passed his test back in April and he has us on his insurance as it really brings the price down. Still bloody extortionate though.

There is only one slight issue with that in that any no claims discounts (I think) do not go to your son but to you actually and seeing as you can only go upto a certain percentage (maybe 70% I think or like 6 yrs NCD) the NCD really goes to waste. I may be incorrect though.

Back