• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Fed up

Win against Watford, win against Stoke, win against Brighton, rebuild that confidence and momentum.. That leaves us with City to face.

Who knows how they'll fare over the next three fixtures?

Go on to beat the lottery winners and it could be title race back on! :p

Yeah let's turn on players who tore Real Madrid a new one, and gave us our two best premier league seasons, because well you know two bad games.

Players get tired. They can' churn out top displays every game and go through patches of low confidence. When this happens you have to look for alternatives.

It can work for both the team and the player.

We didn't play well v Chelsea Liverpool Huddersfield or West Ham ?

In danger of throwing the baby out with the bath water some of you at the moment - I know it sucks to be playing below our level but at least try and have some perspective

We lost against Chelsea so it doesn’t matter how we played.

Pool/Huddersfield yes - West Ham for a half - for reason.

We lost against Chelsea so it doesn’t matter how we played.

Pool/Huddersfield yes - West Ham for a half - for reason.

I'd say it does matter when you're claiming we haven't played well all season.

By the same token - we won several games we didn't play well in so it doesn't matter how well we performed...

Under Poch we always seem to kick into gear between xmas and April, when a lot of our rivals start to fade.

Losing Wanyama and Alder at the same time has been particularly unfortunate too I think - it's probably the worst combination we could suffer.

I don't even think this is knee jerk now. Other than the CL, and the one PL match against Liverpool, we have been terrible. What's gone wrong this season. Don't give me the Wembley talk rubbish, I've heard it all before. We have a great group of players, many say the best first team in the PL..I think City have better on reflection. Even if their defence is suspect. Yet, we struggle to put in a shift. We don't look like winning. We just give up and lose. What has happened?!

Hopefully with a bit of daylight between the game and now things might not seem quite so bad to you?
Disappointing yes, and frustrating yes, but we are nowhere near the stage where we need to seriously worry (imo).
We really haven't been 'terrible' in every PL game other than Liverpool. But we have either made some silly mistakes/lost concentration at the end of a game, meaning we've dropped points or, as has been said, we are lacking some of the intensity we might normally expect to see early on in games. Those things can be addressed, I'm sure. (As you rightly say, we have a great group of players who are capable of dealing with these issues, with Poch's guidance).

As to "we don't look like winning", I'd argue the total opposite and say that in many (not all) of the games where we have dropped points, we actually have looked good enough to win. I don't believe this team ever just "gives up and loses". Of course, looking good enough to win is not the same as winning. But it's a smaller step to get there than if we are always playing badly or not creating any chances.

What has happened? Well,
- we have had a number of injuries to very key players to contend with, which added to a limited squad depth, has given Poch selection challenges, and has led to players like Eriksen - so important for us - starting to look jaded. We need to manage this but if we can get Toby and Wanyama back (in addition to Lamela as he gets up to full match fitness) we will be in a much better place.
- We have got the Wembley factor (although we have not played particularly badly at home).
- We have got teams who, perhaps more than previously, see playing very defensively against us as more likely to get them something from the game. We have to find a way to play through - or better, around/behind - those defences.

It's totally understandable to be fed up after a loss. But also important, in time, to be able to see the perspective.
(Hope that doesn't sound patronising, it's not meant to!).

I'd say it does matter when you're claiming we haven't played well all season.

By the same token - we won several games we didn't play well in so it doesn't matter how well we performed...

Even if you include Chelsea thats 4 games.

For a team with our talent that’s not really great is it?

It’s not bothered me as much as it would, as I said I expected this season to be rubbish - I said so during the summer.

But I don’t understand why people are having a go at someone for saying they are fed up with it.

Hopefully we will have some fun in the CL and get some players in Jan to have a big season next.

We were also great against Everton away, stuck three past the Hammers,and had a Kane hatrick up at Huddersfield.

We also finished second in the bloody league last season. I mean sort yourself out fella. Remember to be a supporter and not just a sad guy online who has forgotten Stephen Clemence. Pathetic.

Away
Away
Away

It's fairly obvious to me what the issue is this season. Anyone still in denial is just that.

Players believing in their own hype. We dont have a winning mentality. Its ok to them to beat Madrid and feel more comfortable. The Madrid game should have lifted us massively but the likes of Dier, Dele and Eriksen think they have proved themselves already. Dele walks around the pitch with arrogance and Eriksen hides when the going gets tough. They need to be told they haven't achieved anything in their careers. Dembele just needs to play every game or leave him out altogether. Cant keep wheeling him out here and there.

Injuries have hurt us in key areas, Dier needs to go back into midfield to protect the defenders. Eriksen needs to come into midfield and Dele needs to be dropped for Son who should be playing regularly.

We just need to go back to basics, Poch needs to stop persisting with his favourites and drop them if they aren't playing well. He says the squad is good so put your money where your mouth is and play the likes of Son, Llorente, Nkoudu.

Something needs to change as its not looking good. We really cant afford to be moving into the new stadium with no Champions League, Cant imagine certain players sticking around now without CL football either.

Wembley is clearly a factor or is it an easy excuse for players?

Under Poch we always seem to kick into gear between xmas and April, when a lot of our rivals start to fade.

Losing Wanyama and Alder at the same time has been particularly unfortunate too I think - it's probably the worst combination we could suffer.

That's the most sensible thing you've posted for a while :)

Ultimately, we lost yesterday because we conceded early - again.

Toby and Wanyama being out, where to play Dier, sticking to a back 3 or changing to a back 4 while Toby is out, having a more settled DCM pair...within that is the heart of our recent issues. Poch so good at giving us a strong defensive foundation will have to re-think things here. While both goals scored against us were well executed, at our best we would have screen the chances say if Dier or Wanyama were protecting, and got tighter to Marez and Verdy.

No worries. I'll place you in the 'Wembley has been no issue in the league' bucket.

PS. Thanks for the capitals - makes all the difference!
Why do we also win games away? It's not our home, and pitches are same size as Wembley.
Also, we have lost 1 game at home this season (undeservedly as well), and we have now lost 3 away games in a row for the first time under Poch. Yeah, Wembley clearly is the issue....

Last edited:
Why do we also win games away? It's not our home, and pitches are same size as Wembley.

My opinion is that teams come at us just that little bit more at their home games (crowd behind them etc), definitely in the case of the 3 wins mentioned above. At Wembley with the so called lesser teams (which was kinda my point) they almost treat the games as 'don't lose at any cost'. It seems really to easy to camp in and not lose at Wembley. England have had the same issue offensively and also showed it defensively in the most recent game against Brazil.

Couple of small points about Wembley that annoy me also, when a team go with 2 banks, you really need to move the ball quickly - I think its widely acknowledged that its hard to do that on the that surface. Also, one of the best ways to catch a team off guard is to restart play very quickly. Throw-ins and corners take forever due to the space between the pitch and the seating. Defensive teams have an extra few seconds to re-shape. These may sound like small things but football is small margins nowadays.

Anyway - just my opinion!

My opinion is that teams come at us just that little bit more at their home games (crowd behind them etc), definitely in the case of the 3 wins mentioned above. At Wembley with the so called lesser teams (which was kinda my point) they almost treat the games as 'don't lose at any cost'. It seems really to easy to camp in and not lose at Wembley. England have had the same issue offensively and also showed it defensively in the most recent game against Brazil.

Couple of small points about Wembley that annoy me also, when a team go with 2 banks, you really need to move the ball quickly - I think its widely acknowledged that its hard to do that on the that surface. Also, one of the best ways to catch a team off guard is to restart play very quickly. Throw-ins and corners take forever due to the space between the pitch and the seating. Defensive teams have an extra few seconds to re-shape. These may sound like small things but football is small margins nowadays.

Anyway - just my opinion!
EXACTLY the answer I expected (and wanted)! Well, you have painted yourself into a corner now, because as you say, it's about how teams set up against us.
That has nothing to do with the pitch/stadium!

EXACTLY the answer I expected (and wanted)! Well, you have painted yourself into a corner now, because as you say, it's about how teams set up against us.
That has nothing to do with the pitch/stadium!

Nothing like ignoring a whole paragraph!

Let me try again - I think Wembley is an issue due to how the opposition set up and how that works with the pitch/stadium specifics.

Can I just clarify - You think if we'd played our home league games at WHL this season (I know that's not an option) then we'd have the same points as we have at Wembley? i.e. Wembley no issue in the league?

This time last year

qiX4Cbj.png
Brilliant! Can you provide the formations, players and manager involved, to make sure we never use them again?

Can I just clarify - You think if we'd played our home league games at WHL this season (I know that's not an option) then we'd have the same points as we have at Wembley? i.e. Wembley no issue in the league?
That's a pretty stupid question, as no-one can answer that. It can't be proved any way or the other. We could have done better, we could have done worse, we could have done the same.

Back