• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Fans last night

The reason people are spread out is a vast reduction in the number of people that want to sing.

It's less than 10 years ago that the PL was pretty much entirely populated by people who wanted to sing - now, as you've said, it's a few spread out fans. Doesn't the change suggest to you that the vast majority of our fans just don't want to sing? I can't see some corny glee club changing that.

What will change it is our club playing better PL football and qualifying for competitions worthy of our excitement.

You just contradicted yourself in this post. At first you said people just do not want to sing anymore in this day and age,and then you said they would sing when the standard of football improves.

Which one is it ?

I go to games from time to time - not as much as I used to, but that's because of work commitments rather than any (perceived) lack of atmosphere.

Last night was good because we scored 5 goals and played some nice football, not because we had the glee club in.

You're just a snob

I like the glee club, at least they get people going a bit, hopefully in the new stadium they will be able to have a section together

The 5 goals and the win were very welcome.

But it was the atmosphere created by the 1882 lot that pleased me most about last night.

Their support began in the very first second of the game and continued, non stop, for the remaining 90 plus minutes. As a season ticket holder who has become ever more disillusioned by the appalling atmosphere, I can't begin to communicate to you what a magnificent, uplifting breath of fresh air it was. I hated last season. Partly because of the football. But mostly because the dreadful / non existent atmosphere depressed me hugely.

Last night, 1882 put a smile on my face long before Spurs scored or even started to produce any fluent football.

You and I are at the very opposite ends of the scale in that respect then.

I want to enjoy the football I see when I go first and foremost. If there's a good atmosphere, even better but I don't consider an artificial atmosphere from a pre-planned group any better than the song sheets left on the seats at the Death Star.

You just contradicted yourself in this post. At first you said people just do not want to sing anymore in this day and age,and then you said they would sing when the standard of football improves.

Which one is it ?

They don't want to sing because there's nothing to motivate them to sing. The same reason 10s of thousands of them didn't buy tickets last night.

Put on some decent football against some decent teams and people will want to sing again - making people move from their regular seats won't.

I want to enjoy the football I see when I go first and foremost. If there's a good atmosphere, even better but I don't consider an artificial atmosphere from a pre-planned group any better than the song sheets left on the seats at the Death Star.

So what is the difference for you from watching it on the tele,on what I guess is a HD television as you are high rate tax paying Tory voter. Why not just watch the game at home ?

They don't want to sing because there's nothing to motivate them to sing. The same reason 10s of thousands of them didn't buy tickets last night.

Put on some decent football against some decent teams and people will want to sing again - making people move from their regular seats won't.

So basically you are saying we have terribly disloyal support,after all the above is the definition of it.

The reason people are spread out is a vast reduction in the number of people that want to sing.

It's less than 10 years ago that the PL was pretty much entirely populated by people who wanted to sing - now, as you've said, it's a few spread out fans. Doesn't the change suggest to you that the vast majority of our fans just don't want to sing?

Well, yes. Precisely. As I said, an ageing fan base.

And your solution is.................? To do nothing about it, apparently.

Why not instead....you know....facilitate those who want to sing to be able to sit / stand together, thus allowing them to generate a proper atmosphere? Radical, huh?

I can't see some corny glee club changing that.

Arf! A pathetic and clueless insult. Give me hundred of the 1882 lot over ten thousand mutes and moaners.

What will change it is our club playing better PL football and qualifying for competitions worthy of our excitement.

Rubbish. Our support is embarrassingly poor these days regardless of how well the team plays. Besides which, proper supporters understand that they have a role to play even if the team is playing poorly - maybe even especially if the team is playing poorly.

You're just a snob

I'm also a narcissist, a polymath, a grumpy old ****er and really, really, ridiculously good looking - I don't think I've ever hidden these things.

I like the glee club, at least they get people going a bit, hopefully in the new stadium they will be able to have a section together

If we get a kop end then I suspect people will just gravitate there - without the quality football though, we're unlikely to have enough to fill more than a small block or two though.

So what is the difference for you from watching it on the tele,on what I guess is a HD television as you are high rate tax paying Tory voter. Why not just watch the game at home ?

It's an enjoyable experience - obviously not the travel bit or the food, but the rest is good.

Does anyone own a tv that isn't HD nowadays?

So basically you are saying we have terribly disloyal support,after all the above is the definition of it.

I think our supports been pretty fair-weathered since Jol, yes. Clearly, large numbers of our fans don't want to watch the early stages of the ITV4 cup. Clearly the vast majority of them have little or nothing to sing about at the moment.

Artificial?

What utter, ignorant nonsense!

It's support.

That's all.

Nothing ****ing artificial about it.

With "fans" like you, no wonder the support at the Lane has turned to ****.

Last edited:
Well, yes. Precisely. As I said, an ageing fan base.

And your solution is.................? To do nothing about it, apparently.

Why not instead....you know....facilitate those who want to sing to be able to sit / stand together, thus allowing them to generate a proper atmosphere? Radical, huh?

It's not about whether they sit together or not, it's about a drastic reduction in those who (currently) want to sing. It's not as if we have half the stadium singing but they're spread out so it doesn't work, we just don't have a lot of fans singing.

Arf! A pathetic and clueless insult. Give me hundred of the 1882 lot over ten thousand mutes and moaners.

From what I've seen, that's a fairly accurate ratio of singing to non-singing fans

Rubbish. Our support is embarrassingly poor these days regardless of how well the team plays. Besides which, proper supporters understand that they have a role to play even if the team is playing poorly - maybe even especially if the team is playing poorly.

What makes a proper supporter? Is someone who usually goes to Chelsea matches who turns up and sings a more "proper" supporter than an 80 year old who's been going all his life and doesn't?

Artificial?

What utter, ignorant nonsense!

It's support.

That's all.

Nothing ****ing artificial about it.

With "fans" like you, wonder the support at the Lane has turned to ****.

Creating a group with the aim of improving the atmosphere is the very definition of artificial.

The Park Lane and the Shelf as they used to be is natural support - ie. not artificial.

Creating a group with the aim of improving the atmosphere is the very definition of artificial.

The Park Lane and the Shelf as they used to be is natural support - ie. not artificial.

Utter piffle. There's nothing remotely artificial about their support. In fact, the very idea of passionate support being artificial is just......bizarre.

1882 is just a name. An idea. The only organisation that is required is that an area of the stadium is set aside so that a group of passionate Spurs fans who wish to sing and properly support the team are afforded the opportunity to do so. It is an opportunity that is denied them by the realities of modern football - an opportunity that wasn't denied such passionate fans in the past, when we had cheap tickets and standing terraces.

Your attitude is, I'm sad to say, risibly pompous and outdated.

I'm planning to bring my youngest son to his first match at the lane against Partizan and I'm hoping, praying, that 1882 are there and he'll find the experience enjoyable. Your first match only happens once and I'd hate it to be ruined by a bunch of moany ****s who can't seem to find any enjoyment watching Spurs, no matter what happens on the pitch.

Utter piffle. There's nothing remotely artificial about their support. In fact, the very idea of passionate support being artificial is just......bizarre.

1882 is just a name. An idea. The only organisation that is required is that an area of the stadium is set aside so that a group of passionate Spurs fans who wish to sing and properly support the team are afforded the opportunity to do so. It is an opportunity that is denied them by the realities of modern football - an opportunity that wasn't denied such passionate fans in the past, when we had cheap tickets and standing terraces.

Your attitude is, I'm sad to say, risibly pompous and outdated.

You are sounding like a Bolshevik,with this sort of attitude.

I want to sing. I don't go to games much because it's near impossible to get tickets in the more atmospheric part of the stadium. So I'd rather go to the pub (for free) where I can sing and shout and stand up and drink beer as much as I like, rather than pay £25+ to sit quietly in a cramped seat for 90 minutes.

Now, I'm not going to complain about the people who don't want to stand and sing, but I think that we'd both prefer it if we weren't sitting next to each other. So how is the fans getting organised a bad thing?

The point I was going to say in reply to you is there's probably a lot of fans (like me) that would attend more games if there was more of a singing/chanting element.

It's not about whether they sit together or not, it's about a drastic reduction in those who (currently) want to sing. It's not as if we have half the stadium singing but they're spread out so it doesn't work, we just don't have a lot of fans singing.

Wrong! Wrong! Wrong!

Spread 1000 fans who want to sing around a 36K stadium and they won't be able to generate any noticeable or sustained noise. Each will be on their own or in small groups. Whatever they sing will not catch on. It will die in their throats. And soon enough, they'll stop even trying. I know. I've seen it. I've experienced it.

What makes a proper supporter? Is someone who usually goes to Chelsea matches who turns up and sings a more "proper" supporter than an 80 year old who's been going all his life and doesn't?

Well, at the very least, a proper supporter is someone who doesn't **** off those fans who proactively do something to improve the otherwise woeful atmosphere at the Lane.

Back