• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Fans last night

Re: Emmanuel Adebayor

Adebayor is right. Whether it is wise for him to speak up though as a Tottenham player is a different matter.

I say, why not? It might stop some of the negativity. At the end of the day, all Spurs supporters want to see the team do well so if the message from the players is "look guys, you're really not helping" then maybe that will get through to some.

I find it interesting that it is Adebayor who has spoken up. A player never really loved by a large section of the fans, hated by a significant number previously and maybe now. One of the big players at the moment, a senior and also the vice captain. I reckon he probably IS echoing the thoughts of the team. So why not captain Kaboul? Why not most respected pro Hugo? Why not flavour of the month Kane? I think he has put himself in the firing line ahead of the other senior pros lacking confidence, the young kids who are getting judged so early, the manager who is still getting to grips with the squad, the club. It's a longshot but actually I take it as a positive sign as to the dynamics in the dressing room.

I love Tottenham, but the crowd, my fellow supporters, have on the whole been too often a neutral if not a negative factor on my match day experience. At league games, where about 80% of the fans will still be ST holders, I rarely find people are friendly. I sit in the North, East, South and West, Upper and Lower, and ALWAYS get some idiot sitting behind me full of criticism for some spacegoat of the other. Cup games are normally a load better because the ST % drops. Of course, I'm not suggesting that all ST holders are Victor Meldrews. But I do think a lot of them forgot what they are doing there. They go along out of routine, and are too scared to quit because they know how hard it is to get their ST back. But the whole swathes of blue seat thing on 85 minutes is embarrassing and makes me angry. I have a longer journey than most fans on a match day and I have never left before the final whistle.

We all looked forward to this stack of something like 7 out of 9 matches at home in October/November and it feels like a disaster. Yet it's the league where we have fallen woefully short. The cups - admittedly against weaker, but still fighting teams - have seen a better spirit. Away league performances have yield results. Only one defeat, at the current champions. Where is it going pitifully wrong? Home league matches, and we are in a rut. On the pitch, and in the stands. Are we better off playing away from home? Without a shadow of a doubt. Hell, the sooner we get out to Milton Keynes the better I say.

There's a lot right with the club, it's a great club and I love it. Today, there's a lot wrong as well though. And the home crowd, yes Adebayor, bang on the money.

=D>

Top post, sir!

lol

a couple of weeks ago I was reading a story about a couple who were claiming benefits because the husband was paralysed from the neck down. The article had printed pictures showing how sad there life had become and the pictures showed the normal life owes us a living facial expressions. Then this couple gets found out.. the guy.. turns out not to be paralysed.. he can do things that normal bodied people can do. Having claimed thousands in benefits the couple were sent to prison. This story didn't make me think about the state of the country we live.. It actually made me laugh out louid at the sheer brass balls of this couple.. How the **** did they go through all the checks. I still cannot believe they were able to get away with it.. I have said to myself I doubt I will see anything as brass ballsy again.

I was wrong.. Adebayor opened his gob. A lot of parallels have been aimed at Ballotelli and Adebayor. All that's left is for Adebayor to have a tshirt made stating it's your fault not mine tshirt.. Akin to the why always me Ballotelli masterpiece.

Anyway I am lolling at the brass balls of Adebayor. It's getting me through seeing this **** wear our club shirt.

Sherwood turned on the fans.. Levy got rid.. Hopefully Levy continues the status quo.

Last edited:

You are completely right, as is Ade - in that politician way where they choose the subject very carefully but actually miss the point entirely.

If thy players want nice positive, cozy atmosphere then I suggest they damn well earn it with football and effort that deserves it.
He is living in pampered football land.
I want himout of my club on 1st Jan.

The Adebayor (and AVB and recently Mourinho) statement(s) about poor atmospheres in grounds show show twisted pro football has become. As you said in your post, deliver a performance, even if it just blood, sweat and tears, that warrants a show of appreciation for the folk who spend a fortune attending the game. And if for some reason the crowd don't perform the way you (the grossly rewarded professional footballer) want, because if your turgid, limp, flaccid attitude, then pull your rich finger out of your wealthy backside and EARN the support of the crowd.

The Adebayor (and AVB and recently Mourinho) statement(s) about poor atmospheres in grounds show show twisted pro football has become. As you said in your post, deliver a performance, even if it just blood, sweat and tears, that warrants a show of appreciation for the folk who spend a fortune attending the game. And if for some reason the crowd don't perform the way you (the grossly rewarded professional footballer) want, because if your turgid, limp, flaccid attitude, then pull your rich finger out of your wealthy backside and EARN the support of the crowd.

Tbf, isn't it a chicken and egg thing? Who earns what first: the players earns the crowd approval or do the fans - paying good money that actually their not forced to pay - give minimal support to those representing their club and this grows with every positive performance that showed 'blood, sweat and tears'?

And are we really saying that just showing 'blood, sweat and tear' will get approval? Are you sure if we had a team packed full of Dawson's who give that but a limited as footballers would be enough? He got booed as much as others when things went tits up btw:-"

Sherwood turned on the fans.. Levy got rid.. Hopefully Levy continues the status quo.

Having to listen to home truths can be an important part of growing up, but it's a fact that anyone criticising the fans publicly is highly likely to fall victim to Levy's doctrine of renewal. In the continued absence of success, it's the only thing with the power to keep the mugs coming back season after season with their wallets hanging open.

Having to listen to home truths can be an important part of growing up, but it's a fact that anyone criticising the fans publicly is highly likely to fall victim to Levy's doctrine of renewal. In the continued absence of success, it's the only thing with the power to keep the mugs coming back season after season with their wallets hanging open.

It might help if there weren't cries for sacking someone every time we lose or a player puts in a bad performance.

I'm not so sure it would, really. Have there been serious cries yet for Poch to be sacked? Were there for Jol, or Redknapp, or even AVB? I didn't want him to continue because I thought he was too inexperienced, but I don't think there was really much of a groundswell of opinion to get rid of Sherwood either, outside the rarefied atmosphere of places like this.

I'm not so sure it would, really. Have there been serious cries yet for Poch to be sacked? Were there for Jol, or Redknapp, or even AVB? I didn't want him to continue because I thought he was too inexperienced, but I don't think there was really much of a groundswell of opinion to get rid of Sherwood either, outside the rarefied atmosphere of places like this.

There was a lot of noise for those that have been sacked in the past. Right now it's mostly Baldini as he apparently is solely responsible for every playyer bought since he joined the club and the inability of our coaches to make a team of them.

With Poch it's mostly a few that didn't want him in the first place and at regular intervals will remind us of this and the fact that they're still not convinced, but add the get out clause of supporting him while he's here and us needing continuity.

Liverpool and Tottenham Hotspur summer target Mauro Icardi told Inter fans exactly what he thinks about the lack of support at San Siro.

Inter are stuck in a difficult moment as a club, both on a macro and micro level – and current issues are affecting the players, fans and front office alike.

The Nerazzurri aren’t the heavy-spending powerhouse they were just a few years ago, with a new era beginning when Massimo Moratti sold the team to Erik Thohir last season.

Thohir’s reign as president of the club has seen both controversy and criticism. Tension is particularly high at the moment as the side are drastically underperforming in Serie A.

Sitting ninth in the table, many have called for boss Walter Mazzarri to be dismissed. Meanwhile, fans have taken to jeering the team during home matches as a sign of their disapproval.

Supporters vented their frustration once more in Inter’s 2-2 draw with Hellas Verona at San Siro on Sunday, a lacking performance seeing three points thrown away at the death.

Mauro Icardi was the Nerazzurri’s best player on the evening with a brace that brought his goal-tally to seven on the season in the Italian top flight.

And the Argentine striker didn’t hold back on sharing his thoughts on the club’s lack of positive reinforcement from the fans.

Icardi told Sky Sport Italia: “I don’t understand those who jeer. Things are not going the way we want them to at the moment, but on home turf we need to have the fans on our side.

“When we play at San Siro it feels like we’re the away team. There’s nothing we can do about it.

“If people want to jeer then they are free to do so and we accept it. However, it is irritating.”

Previous reports have claimed that Icardi will look to move on at the end of the season should Inter not secure Champions League football, which looks unlikely at the moment.

He was linked with a variety of clubs last summer before he ended up staying with the Beneamata – most notably Liverpool and Tottenham – and as a talented youngster would likely have plenty of offers if he wanted to go.

Just weeks ago Icardi said he’d like to remain at Inter long-term but one can only wonder if the current climate at San Siro could cause him to change his mind.

There’s plenty at stake in the short-term for the Argentine as he’s only 21 and in a stage of his career when developing in a positive atmosphere is critical.

A club like Spurs – in need of a talented, young striker such as Icardi – could use a player of his mould.
Inter must be wary that his head could be turned should the situation not improve.

There’s no concrete indication Icardi has his mind elsewhere just yet, but it’s difficult not to wonder just how much ‘irritation’ he can take in Milan before exploring other options.

http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2014/11/10/liverpool-and-spurs-linked-icardi-calls-clubs-fans-irritating-ho/

Tbf, isn't it a chicken and egg thing? Who earns what first: the players earns the crowd approval or do the fans - paying good money that actually their not forced to pay - give minimal support to those representing their club and this grows with every positive performance that showed 'blood, sweat and tears'?

And are we really saying that just showing 'blood, sweat and tear' will get approval? Are you sure if we had a team packed full of Dawson's who give that but a limited as footballers would be enough? He got booed as much as others when things went tits up btw:-"
Not for me it's not.

Ade already has between 100K and 200K (depending on who you believe) very good reasons every week do do his job to the very best of his ability.

Cheering fans may bring out another few percent, but I expect him to be at the top of his game to begin with.

Not for me it's not.

Ade already has between 100K and 200K (depending on who you believe) very good reasons every week do do his job to the very best of his ability.

Cheering fans may bring out another few percent, but I expect him to be at the top of his game to begin with.

Does Adebayor not bring your whole theory of value into question ?

Not for me it's not.

What exactly do you expect? I think the minimum you can expect is effort. And Ade isn't trying to excuse effort or lack of it. Note he is speaking for the squad, not to excuse himself.

What Ade is talking about is confidence that is taken away by a poisonous atmosphere. It's that ability to try something a bit different. A bit of skill that could well fail but could create an opening. A pass that could split the defence open in seconds if weighted just right but may get intercepted easily should it not work. A rabona.

These aren't things that you can reasonably expect and this is where it's different from the chicken and egg argument. Footballers are human beings that will be affected by confidence. And if a significant portion of the crowd is on the back of players from minute one because of a failed pass, it's down from there.

You might say that players should be able to suck it up anyway, but then you'd be ignoring the whole concept of form. In good form a player will hit something first time and in bad form they will take a touch too many and the chance will be gone. Confidence is either there and helps that inspiration or it is shot and needs time to come back. Getting on the backs of the players is the worst thing to help that.

Not for me it's not.

I think that it is best to ignore the messenger and concentrate on the message. I am sure that these comments were sanctioned by the club and the players and management knew what was going to be said.

AVB said the same thing last year and Sherwood also said that the home atmosphere was a hindrance.

How many time do we need to be told this before people will listen?

What exactly do you expect? I think the minimum you can expect is effort. And Ade isn't trying to excuse effort or lack of it. Note he is speaking for the squad, not to excuse himself.

What Ade is talking about is confidence that is taken away by a poisonous atmosphere. It's that ability to try something a bit different. A bit of skill that could well fail but could create an opening. A pass that could split the defence open in seconds if weighted just right but may get intercepted easily should it not work. A rabona.

These aren't things that you can reasonably expect and this is where it's different from the chicken and egg argument. Footballers are human beings that will be affected by confidence. And if a significant portion of the crowd is on the back of players from minute one because of a failed pass, it's down from there.

You might say that players should be able to suck it up anyway, but then you'd be ignoring the whole concept of form. In good form a player will hit something first time and in bad form they will take a touch too many and the chance will be gone. Confidence is either there and helps that inspiration or it is shot and needs time to come back. Getting on the backs of the players is the worst thing to help that.

That ability to do something a bit different as a footballer is
I. Your job and
II. The responsibility that comes with your job.

After a prolonged period of poor performance or lack of effort you should expect to your employer and consumer to have an issue.

To resolve it, put some effort in.
Take some pride in what you do.

The thing is,I think this is actually just a good PR move as it was I'll galvanise the fans to be more positive, let's hope the players react. ( unlike last Tim)

I think that it is best to ignore the messenger and concentrate on the message. I am sure that these comments were sanctioned by the club and the players and management knew what was going to be said.

AVB said the same thing last year and Sherwood also said that the home atmosphere was a hindrance.

I don't think it is right to ignore the messenger in this case. Had it been literally any other Spurs player then I'd agree but for me, Ade is precisely why there's a disconnect between the modern footballer and the modern fan.

He takes an obscene amount of money every week from the club - an amount that many would settle for as an annual salary - and continues to phone in performances week after week. I can live with this coming from a **** player who tries, what I can't accept is a talented player who doesn't try telling our fans that they should be backing him.

I'm not one for booing before the final whistle (I think we've got every right to voice our displeasure after the match) but if there's a player that deserves booing, it's Ade.

I don't think it is right to ignore the messenger in this case. Had it been literally any other Spurs player then I'd agree but for me, Ade is precisely why there's a disconnect between the modern footballer and the modern fan.

He takes an obscene amount of money every week from the club - an amount that many would settle for as an annual salary - and continues to phone in performances week after week. I can live with this coming from a **** player who tries, what I can't accept is a talented player who doesn't try telling our fans that they should be backing him.

I'm not one for booing before the final whistle (I think we've got every right to voice our displeasure after the match) but if there's a player that deserves booing, it's Ade.

What a screwed up attitude.. So you agree with the message but because its Ade its wrong?

So Ade is bigger than the club?

What a screwed up attitude.. So you agree with the message but because its Ade its wrong?

So Ade is bigger than the club?

Nope, the message is right. Ade is the last person that should be saying it. It's nothing but stupidity from the club having him say it as it will not have the resonance as it would from a player people actually respect.

If a player who is already working his ar5e off - let's say Kane - comes out and says "I'm really doing my best, but it's tough with the fans being so negative" people will listen. If Ade comes out with "Well I would try, but fvck it - I have no pride or shame and I get paid whether I bother or not. BTW, could you all cheer me a little more please, my money isn't suitable recompense for standing on the touchline with my thumb up my ar5e" people won't listen.

Nope, the message is right. Ade is the last person that should be saying it and it's nothing but stupidity from the club having him say it as it will not have the resonance as it would from a player people actually respect.

If a player who is already working his ar5e off - let's say Kane - comes out and says "I'm really doing my best, but it's tough with the fans being so negative" people will listen. If Ade comes out with "Well I would try, but fvck it - I have no pride or shame and I get paid whether I bother or not. BTW, could you all cheer me a little more please, my money isn't suitable recompense for standing on the touchline with my thumb up my ar5e" people won't listen.

BTW, I know Ade hasn't actually said the words above, but the rest is implied because of who he is. Many will think that without him saying it. There will always be an implied angle on the statement depending on who it's from.

Isn't King still a club ambassador? He would have been a very good choice - he's played recently enough for his opinion to be valid and he has the added benefit of not being tainted as part of the current ****e performances.

He said it an a post match interview with Guardian journalist and professional gooner Amy Lawrence.
There no way Ade in the minutes between the game and the interview went to the club or the other players and got some sort of okay to say this.

I know because it came out a day later that it looks like Ade's comments where carefully through overnight or something.
But the reality is Lawrence got an exclusive interview because of her back in the day gooner connects with Ade and didn't have to write it up until monday.

Here is her confirming it was post match - https://twitter.com/amylawrence71/status/531795042659471360

Last edited:
Back