• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

European Super League - Dead on arrival

Trickle down economics will save football. :rolleyes:

Ever considered cutting costs instead? The one thing football doesn't need is more money. People

Oh please mate, don't go there -> You mean like what happens with Spur's fans when Levy tries to manage expenses?

Don't like this (your opinion), but the same fans complaining are the same ones with unrealistic expectations of their team, that simultaneously bitch about ticket prices, merchandising and yeah, I don't like the colour/name of sponsor on shirt/stadium/etc.

A company I work with (client) looks at their customers as -> customer -> loyal (buys multiple products, retention time) -> digital (can be served with least overhead). This is exactly what is happening here, the traditional (legacy) UK based fan is the most overhead for the least profit, casuals/corporate/visitors (e.g. Son's Korean supporters) plus overseas subscriptions (not bitching about Sky/BT) are better for the club. And no, the atmosphere doesn't matter, they still sold product with empty stadiums, think they can't with it full of families/casuals?

The game, what happens on the pitch, what's changing?

What traditions do you want to keep from 30 years ago, pre PL?

Try to answer these questions yourself first. Fatalistic nonsense. Let’s bin it all because Madrid and Juventus are strapped for cash post pandemic! The least appealing «why» I have ever seen.

Oh please mate, don't go there -> You mean like what happens with Spur's fans when Levy tries to manage expenses?

Don't like this (your opinion), but I think that I am a better football fan than the rest of you complaining are the same ones with unrealistic expectations of their team, that simultaneously bitch about ticket prices, merchandising and yeah, I don't like the colour/name of sponsor on shirt/stadium/etc.

A company I work with (client) looks at their customers as -> customer -> loyal (buys multiple products, retention time) -> digital (can be served with least overhead). This is exactly what is happening here, the traditional (legacy) UK based fan is the most overhead for the least profit, casuals/corporate/visitors (e.g. Son's Korean supporters) plus overseas subscriptions (not bitching about Sky/BT) are better for the club. And no, the atmosphere doesn't matter, they still sold product with empty stadiums, think they can't with it full of families/casuals?
I actually think they will look at fans attending as functional assets. Ones they need but don’t want necessarily
And I think to strict the fans they will cut ticket prices for the prem
And charge a premium for Europe

That the game played everywhere, professionally and amateur in parks and school, is based on the same code.

I don’t see this changing that, the basics are two teams, two goals and a ball.

Yes the park games don’t have VAR, but I played in the London AFC for years and most of the time we didn’t have lino’s and proper offside either.

For the last decade most of my football has been 5 a side in a cage, no throw ins, or long balls, no headers (as we play head height), it’s still football, and I still pretend I’m Andy Sinton.

There is a difference between the technical and the reality, I don’t see this hurting the latter.

Using weasel worded phrases like "Some on here..." should be a source of embarrassment.

If you're that narked about it, give that combover a flip and go for it all, Gilly. Name and shame.

Exactly .. but lets go ..

I'm for it, and I haven't heard a single reason against other than some pretentious nostalgia grab for something that hasn't existed for decades (if ever) and .. mutter, mutter, right thing. some fudging how Sky, BT, FA and UEFA are bastions of tradition and integrity .. give me a fudging break mate.

You are not going to change the world, chose to win or lose, we chose here to win ..

Trickle down economics will save football. :rolleyes:

Ever considered cutting costs instead? The one thing football doesn't need is more money. People will always watch or play.

Amazing that in an era where there's never been more money in the game that clubs can't manage their own finances then blame everyone else for their problems.

Exactly .. but lets go ..

I'm for it, and I haven't heard a single reason against other than some pretentious nostalgia grab for something that hasn't existed for decades (if ever) and .. mutter, mutter, right thing. some fudging how Sky, BT, FA and UEFA are bastions of tradition and integrity .. give me a fudging break mate.

You are not going to change the world, chose to win or lose, we chose here to win ..

I’m surprised by the seemingly universal condemnation of it in the media, when on here it seems to be a more even split.

I actually think they will look at fans attending as functional assets. Ones they need but don’t want necessarily
And I think to strict the fans they will cut ticket prices for the prem
And charge a premium for Europe

Yes, Spurs matchday was #1 for the short time we were operating at capacity, without the biggest stadium.

Corporate facilities, huge hospitality areas, encourage families and people who will buy in stadium. US ticket prices for baseball/NFL are outrageous, they get sold.

I don’t see this changing that, the basics are two teams, two goals and a ball.

Yes the park games don’t have VAR, but I played in the London AFC for years and most of the time we didn’t have lino’s and proper offside either.

For the last decade most of my football has been 5 a side in a cage, no throw ins, or long balls, no headers (as we play head height), it’s still football, and I still pretend I’m Andy Sinton.

There is a difference between the technical and the reality, I don’t see this hurting the latter.

And I do. This new competition Is founded on protectionism and entertainment more than the sport.
It won’t be long before novelties will be introduced to keep a sterile format fresh.

Who knows what. Short corners, no goalkeeper power plays, kicks ins, whatever makes the future fan cough up a dollar.

I’m surprised by the seemingly universal condemnation of it in the media, when on here it seems to be a more even split.

The media tend to try to adopt a high and mighty approach to things like this. Try to pretend that they're upholding traditions and doing the right thing.

Yet as soon as this gets going, they'll all be behind it and throwing themselves at it as they'll know that there's billions of eyeballs watching the ESL

I think more fans will gradually come around too, but the initial reaction was always going to be a bit on the allergic side

Why, the media who has a vested interest in CL/Europa because that's what they signed up for (and have been left out in this new world)

This is typical manipulation, they are trying to protect their own interest and sucking people in with some flimflam about the heritage of the game. The fudging PM/others want to talk about the integrity of the game? what exactly are they doing to help, why have private businesses (clubs) carried the burden of supporting the pyramid for years?

And I do. This new competition Is founded on protectionism and entertainment more than the sport.
It won’t be long before novelties will be introduced to keep a sterile format fresh.

Who knows what. Short corners, no goalkeeper power plays, kicks ins, whatever makes the future fan cough up a dollar.

First and foremost it is entertainment, that’s where the money comes from.

Again, I understand your concerns but those some ideas were raised 30 years ago when the PL started, football doesn’t need gimmicks.

Why, the media who has a vested interest in CL/Europa because that's what they signed up for (and have been left out in this new world)

This is typical manipulation, they are trying to protect their own interest and sucking people in with some flimflam about the heritage of the game. The fudging PM/others want to talk about the integrity of the game? what exactly are they doing to help, why have private businesses (clubs) carried the burden of supporting the pyramid for years?

I was thinking more of the written press, who will only have more to write about. The Guardian pool for example are all FUD.

The only voice of reason I’ve heard is the American chap on the totally football podcast.

Try to answer these questions yourself first. Fatalistic nonsense. Let’s bin it all because Madrid and Juventus are strapped for cash post pandemic! The least appealing «why» I have ever seen.

I've given my view multiple times already, with reasons behind them.
Best you've come up is relegation.
When was the last time any of these clubs were relegated or when do you think the next time they will be relegated?

Won't be long till there's official time outs sponsored by Lucozade and matches dividied into quarters sponsored by McDonalds. Then probably no more draws - penalty shoot outs after 90 minutes etc.

When was the last time any of these clubs were relegated or when do you think the next time they will be relegated?
These clubs can’t be relegated from the ESL as founder members. Means they can loose every week and there’s no problem . Will still get their money. That’s not how sport should work. You think Levy will care if we are winning it ? Not in my eyes as the revenue is protected.

Destroys sporting merit. Us and the scum are both awful sides not qualifying for Europe but low and behold it does not matter we’ve wangled our way in.

Real Madrid are skint . Spunked 130 million on a 29 year old Hazard and now want to moan about revenue it’s wrong. Juve going to miss out on Champs league revenue and they want to jump ship.

American business model of a closed shop to keep revenue high regardless of performance.

Exactly, data

- When last were any of the invites relegated
- How many league titles have been won in last two decades by anyone but the invited
- How many CL entries were really wildcards vs. expected.

This is the typical flimflam of people preferring the illusion of choice

Back