• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Europa League idea

90sSpursBook

Erik Edman
would never happen but.....

would you be more excited about the EL if the top X number of clubs (including us) to qualify went straight into the knock-out rounds after xmas rather than having to go through Group Stages and even qualifiers.

I cant imagine the club would lose a great deal of revenue from those games and you could certainly balance that against the free weeks you would have during a busy PL period with League Cup games.

would never happen but.....

would you be more excited about the EL if the top X number of clubs (including us) to qualify went straight into the knock-out rounds after xmas rather than having to go through Group Stages and even qualifiers.

I cant imagine the club would lose a great deal of revenue from those games and you could certainly balance that against the free weeks you would have during a busy PL period with League Cup games.

Personally, I would just make it a straight knockout like the old Uefa Cup, and just call it the Europa Cup.
Yes, there will still be a fair few meaningless 2nd leg games (like the Tblisi one in August), but I dont think you can beat the 2-legged knockout format

Personally, I would just make it a straight knockout like the old Uefa Cup, and just call it the Europa Cup.
Yes, there will still be a fair few meaningless 2nd leg games (like the Tblisi one in August), but I dont think you can beat the 2-legged knockout format

Agree with this. The worst teams would get flushed out and leave battles between good sides & those sides that put up a good fight. More entertaining, even if we do know that some second legs will be wasted due to commanding leads from the first leg.

The Europa League would gain a lot more if they just stopped the ****ing CL drop outs from coming in, completely ruins it.

It will never compete with the CL for prestige but allowing the losers of that competition another pop at Europe is total BS.

I agree with that in principle but when teams like Real Madrid/AC Milan/Dortmund may find themselves in the EL through this process, it adds a bit of excitement to the competition. After all, wouldn't you still rather face a team of the quality if Real Madrid next round, than Dnipro?

I think it speaks louder that this action IS required in an attempt to add prestige to the tournament. Few of the sides involved are of any real quality. We could have played with our laces tied and still qualified through our group. We faced sides who would struggle to be promoted from the Championship! Why would anyone want to see these games?

The only way to add to the tournament therefore is to either have bigger teams enter or less games against the minnows. How else will there be more games against the big sides, bar the CL drop outs.

And yes, as I've said at the start, I don't agree with it. I don't agree that losers get a second chance. But, I can live with it.

The only thing the Europa League needs is a Champions League place for the winners.

It would sort out the EL and, for us domestically, the FA and League Cups overnight.

I like the fact that we may see really good teams come to the lane later in the competition, but I do think it is out of order that they get a second chance in Europe.

What the Europa League needs is to be the 2nd level after the competition for league Champions but that will never happen because letting in teams that finish 2nd, 3rd and 4th in the major leagues give UEFA too much money to have a purely Champions' Cup competition.

Yes I want the return of the European Cup, Cup Winners' Cup and UEFA Cup.

I agree with that in principle but when teams like Real Madrid/AC Milan/Dortmund may find themselves in the EL through this process, it adds a bit of excitement to the competition. After all, wouldn't you still rather face a team of the quality if Real Madrid next round, than Dnipro?

I think it speaks louder that this action IS required in an attempt to add prestige to the tournament. Few of the sides involved are of any real quality. We could have played with our laces tied and still qualified through our group. We faced sides who would struggle to be promoted from the Championship! Why would anyone want to see these games?

The only way to add to the tournament therefore is to either have bigger teams enter or less games against the minnows. How else will there be more games against the big sides, bar the CL drop outs.

And yes, as I've said at the start, I don't agree with it. I don't agree that losers get a second chance. But, I can live with it.

I'd rather we stood a better chance of winning it.

To fix Europa League is not that difficult.

Better Prize -> Winner gets CL place (next season?), better money
Format -> better seeding/knockout only format/no drop outs
Coverage -> better media promotion

Absolutely, but this is far too simple for EUFA to implement. Currently the EL is a way of handicapping teams trying to get qualified for CL. Liverpool are a classic case of this.

Absolutely bang on the money, but far too sensible for a body like Uefa to implement

Back