• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Etienne Capoue

Yes it is if I keep hearing and reading this player is one of the best players in France and then see that video. It clearly shows that the French league isn't currently a place I'd want Tottenham to shop. Maybe it was a really really bad day at the office that day. I hope it was.. and why I said for me that video never happened and we will see when he gets to play in the Tottenham shirt.

Only if that's the main argument being used to justify signing him.

I'm assuming that Baldini, AVB, Pleat and our scouts are capable of judging the quality of a player compared to the opposition he faces. That they think he's a very good player, regardless of where he plays.

You're now talking about the French league, not signing French players. I'm a little confused what your actual point is here. If we're talking about the French league then players like Hazard might also deserve a mention.

The French league seems at the very least to be stronger than the Dutch league. Would your "that league isn't currently a place I'd want Tottenham to shop" have worked against signing Vertonghen last season?

I'm assuming that Baldini, AVB, Pleat and our scouts are capable of judging the quality of a player compared to the opposition he faces. That they think he's a very good player, regardless of where he plays.

You're now talking about the French league, not signing French players. I'm a little confused what your actual point is here. If we're talking about the French league then players like Hazard might also deserve a mention.

The French league seems at the very least to be stronger than the Dutch league. Would your "that league isn't currently a place I'd want Tottenham to shop" have worked against signing Vertonghen last season?

Or Sandro, or Paulinho, or Chadli, Or Lloris.......

There has to be some element of trust in our new DoF and scouting system if we want to see the club eventually build a Porto-style model where we sign promising young players and develop them into world-class footballers. Otherwise we'll always shop around the big leagues, and lose out on a lot of 'unproven' talent into the bargain.

Please don't confuse talent brought into a league from foreign countries and the talent brought through the home ranks.

Its hugely telling that star players from countries like Holland and France at the minute are not actually Dutch or French. As you mention Hazard as an example.. I'll reiterate what I said earlier, every league will have its star players come through. Just a shame Hazard is from Belgium. Same goes for Vertonghen.. Chadli. As for someone mentioning the Brazilian league.. IMO that league as with the Argentinian league produce more talent than anywhere. It's interesting the main Dutch stars are all north of 29. the Dutch have called up over 30 players in the past 12 months to play for the national team. In the last Dutch squad only 3 were from Ajax... That is ridiculous for a team known for its academy.

The main problem is that a lot of the talent pools have been raided at youth level nowadays.

I know people laugh at FIFA rankings but France are currently below many South American teams you would imagine laughable during the late 90s. I fully expect the Dutch to be in a simalar predicament in 2-3 years.

Anyway.. Enough gibberish on my part :lol: . I hope ..and as I said I trust those that know more than I ever would, know there brick and as always will give them my 100% support regardless of a stupid video.

Please don't confuse talent brought into a league from foreign countries and the talent brought through the home ranks.

Its hugely telling that star players from countries like Holland and France at the minute are not actually Dutch or French. As you mention Hazard as an example.. I'll reiterate what I said earlier, every league will have its star players come through. Just a shame Hazard is from Belgium. Same goes for Vertonghen.. Chadli. As for someone mentioning the Brazilian league.. IMO that league as with the Argentinian league produce more talent than anywhere. It's interesting the main Dutch stars are all north of 29. the Dutch have called up over 30 players in the past 12 months to play for the national team. In the last Dutch squad only 3 were from Ajax... That is ridiculous for a team known for its academy.

The main problem is that a lot of the talent pools have been raided at youth level nowadays.

I know people laugh at FIFA rankings but France are currently below many South American teams you would imagine laughable during the late 90s. I fully expect the Dutch to be in a simalar predicament in 2-3 years.

Anyway.. Enough gibberish on my part :lol: . I hope ..and as I said I trust those that know more than I ever would, know there brick and as always will give them my 100% support regardless of a stupid video.

I'd respectfully disagree. For one, France's problems have a lot to do with bad management as opposed to bad players. Didier Deschamps and Laurent Blanc collectively managed to undo most of the damage caused by Domenech and his squad of self-important, egotistic footballers, but that's a process that's only recently finished. Now, France's future is starting to look distinctly scary, as players like Areola, Zouma, Digne, Lacazette, Kondogbia, Griezmann, Grenier, Varane, Corchia and Niang, to name just a few, are emerging onto the scene, most brought up in French academies and all vying to join a squad that already has the likes of Lloris, Capoue,Benzema, Valbuena, Sissoko, Koscielny and Rami, who are not particularly old themselves. They'll sort themselves out.

The same goes for the Netherlands. Semi-finalists at the recent U-21 World Cup, and possessed of the likes of Strootman, Maher, Wijnaldum, Martins Indi, Van Rhijn, Clasie, Fer and Van Ginkel, most of whom are constantly being linked with moves to the big clubs, with Van Ginkel having already gone to Chelsea. Sure, their national team used to be bit old, but that had more to do with the selections of Bert Van Marwijk. Now he's been replaced by Van Gaal, a lot of these youngsters are being moved to the senior squad and are impressing.

Both these countries have produced, are producing and will produce great players, with little heed to the quality of their domestic leagues.

I mentioned Hazard as you started talking about the quality of the French league. When you were earlier talking about French players I talked about French players. But surely you can't expect me to restrict my side of the argument to only French players in the French league when you're talking about the quality of the league? Similarly I brought up the Dutch league as a comparison point to the French league.

Hazard signed for Lille in 2005, he would have been around 14 at the time. Vertonghen joined Ajax in 2003, when he was around 16. I think both players count as having been "brought through the ranks" in France and Holland respectively even though not native to those countries.

I'd respectfully disagree. For one, France's problems have a lot to do with bad management as opposed to bad players. Didier Deschamps and Laurent Blanc collectively managed to undo most of the damage caused by Domenech and his squad of self-important, egotistic footballers, but that's a process that's only recently finished. Now, France's future is starting to look distinctly scary, as players like Areola, Zouma, Digne, Lacazette, Kondogbia, Griezmann, Grenier, Varane, Corchia and Niang, to name just a few, are emerging onto the scene, most brought up in French academies and all vying to join a squad that already has the likes of Lloris, Capoue,Benzema, Valbuena, Sissoko, Koscielny and Rami, who are not particularly old themselves. They'll sort themselves out.

The same goes for the Netherlands. Semi-finalists at the recent U-21 World Cup, and possessed of the likes of Strootman, Maher, Wijnaldum, Martins Indi, Van Rhijn, Clasie, Fer and Van Ginkel, most of whom are constantly being linked with moves to the big clubs, with Van Ginkel having already gone to Chelsea. Sure, their national team used to be bit old, but that had more to do with the selections of Bert Van Marwijk. Now he's been replaced by Van Gaal, a lot of these youngsters are being moved to the senior squad and are impressing.

Both these countries have produced, are producing and will produce great players, with little heed to the quality of their domestic leagues.

I hope your right :)

BRVAl6sCAAEYKTj.jpg

Wasn't that bald guy the one pictured with Levy when he went to sign Modric?

Has been pictured several times alongside Levy and players. Was in the picture with Vertonghen at WHL before he signed last season iirc. Was in a picture with Levy, Modric's agent and someone else when Modric wanted to leave I believe it was.

Someone said that he's in charge of security, or in charge of Levy's security or something like that. And related to (by marriage?) to Levy.

I know, I couldn't really be much less specific. Hopefully someone that actually remembers will chime in :)

Back