• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Error prone players - *warning* not pleasant reading

Mate, those things are dangerous. Similar one had Stalteri as our best player during Jol's first 5th place season

They also have Walker as the most solid defender (longest mins/error stats)

What is an error?

How do you tell if an error cost a goal?

Whether it directly or indirectly costs the goal?

So if a player makes an error that could lead to a goal, is it less of an importance because the opponent failed to capitalise? That seems to have zero to do with the player that makes the error, and all to do with the player who's trying to capitalise on the error.

Even without considering such things i'm really not too bothered. Gallas has made errors, yes, his legs are starting to give and he's not as able as he was in previous years. Caulker has made errors, yes, but he's 21. He's not that old and he's made errors coming to term with a new system and a new goalkeeper in addition to playing with defenders beside him he had no previous experience with (prior to this season).

I'd rather take what i've watched of the players than some stats that i have absolutely zero reason to trust.

I really wonder what exact stat this article is based on.

In the beginning it mentions giving the ball away, is that it?

I seriously doubt it's all defensive errors. 8 total defensive errors is the highest for any individual player so far this season? Really?

His 2 goal leading errors (in these stats) are probably the goal where Lloris shouted for the ball and he kicked it into an opponent (for the life of me, I can't rememeber which game) and possibly the first against Everton?

His 2 errors (in these stats) are probably the goal where Lloris shouted for the ball and he kicked it into an opponent (for the life of me, I can't rememeber which game) and possibly the first against Everton?

Granted they are errors, but they are errors that directly lead to goals?

His clearances were not good enough, but i can't hold him solely responsible for the goals simply because the ball gets crossed in afterwards and we don't deal with it well enough.

I would say he could have done better, but then at the time there were three or four players who could have done better and prevented the goal.

I'm not saying there were goal-errors, mate - simply speculating as to which 2 ones they must have used when compiling those stats

Last edited:
I'm not saying there were goal-errors, mate - simply speculating as to which 2 ones they must have used when compiling to stats

I know, i was more asking the question than refuting what you said, i should have made that clearer. :p

West Ham and Everton, but think a 20 year old learning still should be cut some slack, boy is going to be the best Defender around when he 28, im convinced

Sample size is too small to be bothered by these stats imo. In Caulkers case, 1000 minutes is only 11 games.

Would be interesting to see this over numerous years though. How the likes of King compare to Dawson, Gallas etc... Also whether certain pairs are more prone than others, or if a certain player brings the best (or worst) out of someone.

Only really useful with at least a full seasons worth of data

Sample size is too small to be bothered by these stats imo. In Caulkers case, 1000 minutes is only 11 games.

Would be interesting to see this over numerous years though. How the likes of King compare to Dawson, Gallas etc... Also whether certain pairs are more prone than others, or if a certain player brings the best (or worst) out of someone.

Only really useful with at least a full seasons worth of data

Agreed

For me Gallas has 'stood out' as the least consistent CB - numbers can we twisted any way to suit an argument and are largely a-contextual

This blog is a complete statistical mess.

First what the guy has done was select the 20 players who have made the most errors this season.
Fair enough you think. But in reality this will be mostly players who have played a lot of games.
But he hasn't even selected the 20 who made the most errors! He's selected the Top 19 (all with 4 or more errors) and Aaron Ramsay with 3.
Why Aaron Ramsay as the 20th? You wont believe this? Ramsay is top of players on 3 alphabetically by first name.
So we have 19 players with most errors and a guy who is in there because his name begins with two a's.

So he has one category (total errors) ordered.
Then when you go to the next category (errors led to shots) its the same 20 players? Tim Krul is in the top 20 with 0!
Its the same for the other categories.

So a nice stat to look at would be 'Minutes per Error'. This would filter out the players like Walker who are only in the top 20 errors because they played a lot of minutes.
But of course we can't see that as the idiot is just focusing brainlessly on the 19 players with the most errors and Aaron Ramsay.

And thats before even going into what opta define an error as.

Also, surely an error from a wide defender like Kyle Walker is far less likely to lead to a shot or a goal than an error from a central defender like Caulker, Walkers errors are more likely to lead to a cross or a corner or something where as an error from Caulker probably means someone's in on goal.

on a separate note, why can I only rate the article as awesome, superb or informative, where's the "it's irrelevant" or "it's total crap".

Back