• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Eric Dier

Oy vey. Alli suspended for remainder of season, Dier KO'd when Lloris punches him in the head instead of the ball, which then goes into the net. It's going to be a nervy run-in, innit?

Been great all season, a revelation.
But when we are trailing is he needed tactically?
Would we be better off with a midfielder with more ability on the ball and ability to create when we are faced with a deep defence and chasing a lead?
Perhaps we will bring in someone who can be subbed on and play this role in the summer.

Been great all season, a revelation.
But when we are trailing is he needed tactically?
Would we be better off with a midfielder with more ability on the ball and ability to create when we are faced with a deep defence and chasing a lead?
Perhaps we will bring in someone who can be subbed on and play this role in the summer.

Yes, because we are very capable of conceding again while chasing. Plus, as a deep-lying playmaker, he isn't all that bad.

We need a midfielder more capable than Mason as a backup to bring on in tough situations, though. Sad for him, but he's had an atrocious season injury-wise, and was responsible for today's loss, after missing that golden chance against Chelsea last week. I don't want him sold (there's always a space in the 25-man squad for a last-ditch utility man), but he has to be lower in the pecking order at the end of this summer, no question now.

Yes, because we are very capable of conceding again while chasing. Plus, as a deep-lying playmaker, he isn't all that bad.

We need a midfielder more capable than Mason as a backup to bring on in tough situations, though. Sad for him, but he's had an atrocious season injury-wise, and was responsible for today's loss, after missing that golden chance against Chelsea last week. I don't want him sold (there's always a space in the 25-man squad for a last-ditch utility man), but he has to be lower in the pecking order at the end of this summer, no question now.

For me Dier has been getting more and more low risk in the last couple of months. He will still look for the long pass forward, but in terms of accepting some level of risk on the ball in our buildup play I think he's regressed. Might be the pressure has been getting to him a bit, might be instructions from Poch to keep it simple. But I hope he ups his game (again) in this respect next season. Right now I would describe him as a deep-lying playmaker at all.

For me Dier has been getting more and more low risk in the last couple of months. He will still look for the long pass forward, but in terms of accepting some level of risk on the ball in our buildup play I think he's regressed. Might be the pressure has been getting to him a bit, might be instructions from Poch to keep it simple. But I hope he ups his game (again) in this respect next season. Right now I would describe him as a deep-lying playmaker at all.

True, but I'm more encouraged by the fact that he was trying those long balls in February-March in the first place, with some success. The fact that he can do it is what matters - reluctance to do it can be coached out of him if necessary, but the ability has to be there, and thankfully it is.

True, but I'm more encouraged by the fact that he was trying those long balls in February-March in the first place, with some success. The fact that he can do it is what matters - reluctance to do it can be coached out of him if necessary, but the ability has to be there, and thankfully it is.

He's still trying those long balls forward. Those are essentially low risk, high reward passes because if you misplace them it's not like you're giving away possession in a dangerous area.

Accepting risk when playing shorter passes and playing through pressure is a different kettle of fish. Currently both of our centre backs are taking on a lot more responsibility in terms of accepting risk in that regard. Now we have two excellent ball playing centre backs (thank fudge, and Pochettino), but it really does call into question using the deep-lying playmaker label for Dier's play. I'm not seeing it, whereas earlier in the season he showed more bravery on the ball from what I can remember.

He's still trying those long balls forward. Those are essentially low risk, high reward passes because if you misplace them it's not like you're giving away possession in a dangerous area.

Accepting risk when playing shorter passes and playing through pressure is a different kettle of fish. Currently both of our centre backs are taking on a lot more responsibility in terms of accepting risk in that regard. Now we have two excellent ball playing centre backs (thank fudge, and Pochettino), but it really does call into question using the deep-lying playmaker label for Dier's play. I'm not seeing it, whereas earlier in the season he showed more bravery on the ball from what I can remember.

Hmm. I get what you're saying, and I agree with the general consensus that his ability as a DLP, whether on long passes or short, has regressed over the past few months...but I remember him playing far more long balls to the wings and through the middle than he does now. Strange.

Either way, I still think it's nothing that can't be coached back into him over the course of the coming pre-season.

This is a bit of a concern for me. I was really happy with Dier playing in that position because he has the defensive capabilities of a traditional DM but none of the passing weakness. Especially with us trying to ensure we only turn over possession higher up the field, it's an important factor.

I don't think any of us expects him to become a Modric in terms of playmaking, but a return to earlier form is essential. I wonder if some of the change is down to him being pressed more.

This is a bit of a concern for me. I was really happy with Dier playing in that position because he has the defensive capabilities of a traditional DM but none of the passing weakness. Especially with us trying to ensure we only turn over possession higher up the field, it's an important factor.

I don't think any of us expects him to become a Modric in terms of playmaking, but a return to earlier form is essential. I wonder if some of the change is down to him being pressed more.
I would say that Dier's passing ability has always been pretty average. I think the difference is that when Dembele is on the pitch with him he can pretty much always give it to Dembele, irrespective of how tightly he is marked and know that it is very, very unlikely that Dembele will lose the ball. He (rightly) doesn't have that same confidence in Mason to be able to receive and retain the ball.

I really don't think our DM needs to be anything other than a reasonably competent passer of the ball. That part of their game is probably the least important attribute for that role in our team. All the holding player really has to do in possession is give it out wide to one of the fullbacks or play a reasonably simple pass to one of the 5 more talented players in front of him.

Dier must be high up the list of most appearances in the Premier (Spurs team) this season, and given it is quite a tough position, I reckon he must be looking forward to a rest - if the England players get one -before the Euros. One reason I like Dier as DM is his pace. with such a high line and the full backs pushed on we need pace at the back, and while Toby is no slouch, Jan doesn't appear that quick.

I would say that Dier's passing ability has always been pretty average. I think the difference is that when Dembele is on the pitch with him he can pretty much always give it to Dembele, irrespective of how tightly he is marked and know that it is very, very unlikely that Dembele will lose the ball. He (rightly) doesn't have that same confidence in Mason to be able to receive and retain the ball.

I really don't think our DM needs to be anything other than a reasonably competent passer of the ball. That part of their game is probably the least important attribute for that role in our team. All the holding player really has to do in possession is give it out wide to one of the fullbacks or play a reasonably simple pass to one of the 5 more talented players in front of him.
I think Dier's a lot better than you give him credit for. He's certainly no Hoddle and we won't see him back spinning 30 yard passes onto the feet of running full backs. But he has an understanding of the pace of the game and a reading of it that allows him to start our attacks in the correct manner. Certainly more so than in the kind of DM role you're talking about.

I think we've moved a long way past that both in ability and time. There are only 10 outfield players on a team - at our level you simply can't afford for one to just dump the ball off to the nearest player and wait for the next opposition attack. Even less so when we have most of the possession.

I think Dier's a lot better than you give him credit for. He's certainly no Hoddle and we won't see him back spinning 30 yard passes onto the feet of running full backs. But he has an understanding of the pace of the game and a reading of it that allows him to start our attacks in the correct manner. Certainly more so than in the kind of DM role you're talking about.

I think we've moved a long way past that both in ability and time. There are only 10 outfield players on a team - at our level you simply can't afford for one to just dump the ball off to the nearest player and wait for the next opposition attack. Even less so when we have most of the possession.
I think he is a very average passer of the ball. Most PL midfielders can pass the ball as well as he does. It is just that he has better positional awareness and discipline than many others. Dier plays the odd expansive pass (although his success rate with these is mediocre) and typically he keeps things simple. We just need another round peg for a round hole to cover him I think.

Makalele played for some great teams and I always thought he played a very simple game in possession. I might be remembering him wrong, but he seemed to be renowned for it at the time, along with his brilliant defensive skills.

Makalele played for some great teams and I always thought he played a very simple game in possession. I might be remembering him wrong, but he seemed to be renowned for it at the time, along with his brilliant defensive skills.
When Makelele was successful, teams used to play 4-4-2, you could play one deep and two further up. To play against modern midfields you need two deep - they both need to be able to pass.

He was also at his best in a Mourinho side - the same rules don't apply if you want to take the initiative as a team.

Last edited:
Funny, I was thinking about Makelele today. He was an excellent passer of the ball and put players through in great positions many times providing the assist to the assist. One of the top midfielders in modern football, in my book.

Reminds me of Graham Roberts. Who once said after a game against West Brom (I think), "It was a fair game. They kicked us and we kicked them."

if he shows 50% of Roberts' ("I'd run thru walls for tottenham") passion and hardness, i'll be a very happy man

Back