• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Eric Dier

Said it in the match thread, Royal and Davies being better in that CB pairing than Dier is an indictment on his current levels.

Hope he gets a move (works for all), hope he can figure out how to make it work for himself (right system/position/whatever)

We don’t know how good he’d be, he’s only played half an hour hasn’t he?

I still think Dier can be an asset to another team. His play just does not fit our system. He likes to go backwards to much, scared of his lack of pace.

I don't know about others but I felt the abuse players get on here is unacceptable, the sort of thing people wrote about Dier was disgusting, I'm critical of players, particularly of their attitude in games but don't believe I've ever attacked a player personally as Dier has had to take.

Welcome to the not so new world, people have been allowed to react emotionally to everything, if I don't like something, I can go strait meltdown mode and it's accepted?

No player at a PL level is "brick", to play in a PL side for more than a season means statistically you are elite.
A player being not good for your team isn't a personal thing, nor a choice, it's not like they are trying to be poor (Ndombele aside re trying)
Royal, Dier, Sanchez, Sissoko, Skipp, Davies are just the latest ones to get abuse

And if you think this site is bad .. I urge you not to look at broader social media .. the worst thing said here is tame in comparison to reddit/youtube/FB/etc.

I don't know about others but I felt the abuse players get on here is unacceptable, the sort of thing people wrote about Dier was disgusting, I'm critical of players, particularly of their attitude in games but don't believe I've ever attacked a player personally as Dier has had to take.
Don’t see very much of that on here at all, to be honest. Maybe I look in the wrong threads!

Don’t see very much of that on here at all, to be honest. Maybe I look in the wrong threads!

Folks can possibly get a bit over emotional on the match threads as everything is fresh but I haven't seen anything that can be labeled as abuse on a personal level towards Dier. I bet it's more common at the ground especially with coked up drunken idiots who take out their pent up anger at their own lives on players who have the audacity to not be perfect.

It's a bit like Sanchez, both seem like genuinely nice blokes who put in the work and have done everything they could within their ability, but neither being good enough long term. It doesn't take away from the fact that they've both served the club for a long time, through the ups and downs.

Seeing a lot of people talking like the Bayern thing is a done deal but obviously nothing's happened until it's official. In a similar way to Lloris it'll be sad to see him go but from a club perspective useful to free up the wages, both Eric and Hugo are too good to be sat around waiting for their contracts to end but fairly obviously not what Ange wants for his system.

What about the criticism is unacceptable? I draw the line if it’s personal and name calling but just calling someone a bad player or not quite good enough isn’t unacceptable in my opinion.

What about the criticism is unacceptable? I draw the line if it’s personal and name calling but just calling someone a bad player or not quite good enough isn’t unacceptable in my opinion.

Totally agree if you have an opinion that a player has made a mistake or played badly it perfectly fair to air it, but I draw the line at personal abuse and that has been the case with Dier, please don't ask me to show example as I can't be bothered to go back 2 seasons of match threads or the Dier thread. I do accept that some people like to throw words about on the internet as "banter" but I believe banter should be face to face on the internet there's little chance their victim will punch their lights out and it's easy to be "brave".

Totally agree if you have an opinion that a player has made a mistake or played badly it perfectly fair to air it, but I draw the line at personal abuse and that has been the case with Dier, please don't ask me to show example as I can't be bothered to go back 2 seasons of match threads or the Dier thread. I do accept that some people like to throw words about on the internet as "banter" but I believe banter should be face to face on the internet there's little chance their victim will punch their lights out and it's easy to be "brave".

Well yeah you shouldn’t say anything online that you’re not prepared to say in public or to someone’s face but from what I have seen none of the criticism Dier has got is personal. I’ve said before I believe the frustration should be aimed at the club because he is still here rather than Dier himself. Totally different scenario to Ndombele who has all the talent but no effort or desire to make something of himself.

Yep don't see anything silly here, though the mods can get things wrong they would rightly ban anyone who was offensive or threatening.

I have called Dier brick and a fcuking waste of space lots.

Will do it again, Dier is brick and a fudging waste of space.

Yep don't see anything silly here, though the mods can get things wrong they would rightly ban anyone who was offensive or threatening.

I have called Dier brick and a fcuking waste of space lots.

Will do it again, Dier is brick and a fudging waste of space.

That could because you have a limited vocabulary or English is your second language.

Clubs get signings wrong all the time. Arsenal signed Jesus. Barca signed Paulinho. We’re signing Timo Werner! Strange signings happen in football. I hope this move comes off and he can have a successful career away from Spurs, but I can’t hide my happiness that he won’t be in our squad for much longer.

Dearie me...

Said it in the match thread, Royal and Davies being better in that CB pairing than Dier is an indictment on his current levels.

Hope he gets a move (works for all), hope he can figure out how to make it work for himself (right system/position/whatever)

It has nothing whatsoever to do with ability, it is everything to do with not being right for the way Ange wants us to play. Dier lost a yard of pace after he had those abdominal injuries in 2018/19. He is simply not suited to the style as he no longer has the pace. Davies is a fine player, and Royal has proven haters wrong in terms of his defensive work in the system, but I'd argue he is less effective going forward/passing than Dier. Anyway, I think his departure will be a relief for all concerned. Here's to him finding a club which suits the player he is these days - whether Bayern or Sporting...

Look, the guy was crap and somehow managed to hang on for most of his career. Fair play, but he's still crap.
He really wasn't. He was very for a long time. A mainstay of our system in DM for a while and if the game had have stayed the way it was, he'd have been one of the best DMs in the PL.
But the game moved to having a more dynamic and technical DM, leaving Dier being mid table quality at DM and CB. Then the appendix needing to be removed seemed to take a huge amount out of him - never been the same since.

He's been a really good servant to the club for a decade and a really good professional. 365 games for the club is nothing to be sniffed at. He deserves our respect and appreciation.

Last edited:
Dearie me...

Still doesn’t make the logic any less sound. Just because Bayern may follow through and sign him doesn’t mean he’s been a resounding success at Spurs nor does it make him a top player. He was a dependable player at CM in the early days but was always upgradable, we then signed Wanyama who replaced him at DM. Dier did alright at CB initially under Poch when we moved to a back three but IMO the majority of his days at CB under Jose and Conte he wasn’t good enough. As some other posters alluded to, the game has moved on and you need to be good on the ball and comfortable on the ball under pressure.

Back