• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Eric Dier

Dier was everywhere today -immense. He is going to be an England regular in this position if he carries on like this.

Dier was everywhere today -immense. He is going to be an England regular in this position if he carries on like this.

He looks perfect for England as we clearly have no one capable at international level in his role

We ca carry on trying out players in positions where they don't play for their club or just play the best ones in the right positions

Has the media asked Poch or Dier about how exactly Dier came to be playing DM. ie was it intended as a stopgap? Or is Poch going to claim that is where he intended to play him all along - he just couldn't last season because of injuries.

He looks perfect for England as we clearly have no one capable at international level in his role

We ca carry on trying out players in positions where they don't play for their club or just play the best ones in the right positions

This is what Hodgson seems to be about

I don't think he's been as good as some think he has been but I have been very impressed and I think he has been a big reason in our better defensive performances. Keep it up lad

Has the media asked Poch or Dier about how exactly Dier came to be playing DM. ie was it intended as a stopgap? Or is Poch going to claim that is where he intended to play him all along - he just couldn't last season because of injuries.

He united the two Dutch players in central defence - I imagine this was plan 1.

Dier may have been one for the future but our need for a DM (perhaps the Ben-son duo not working) and the fact we didn't buy one meant Dier being given a go.

He clearly has technique and a presence - add speed and youth and he was worth giving a go.

It's interesting that he went from vocally not wanting to be full-back for the U21s to saying he will play anywhere for club and country.

He could even do a job up top if given a chance imo!!

I've been very impressed with his development in this role, He seems to have got his angles worked out and is now allowing the ball to keep moving rather than stopping it each time he receives it. It's a lot easier to play in midfield when you have movement ahead of you and thats what we had today.

Completely bossed it today! Beast mode. Our best by a mile, in my opinion. Very, very impressed. Long may it continue!

Am also very impressed with him....but dont think we should get carried away! He is still a bit clumsy when getting the ball with his back to the play, doesnt naturally turn defence into attack. But in saying that I really like him as a player and a leader so willl forgive the shortcomings.

What I like is tactically when the full backs push on he almost drops in like a 3rd centre back. This allows Verts and Toby to go wide to any threats in behind the Full backs. As Verts and Toby played full back for Belgium they are pretty adapt at dealign with wide threats.

I also like the way he almost goes hunting for tackles to make. He is a threat at set pieces too. He just needs to learn a little more in his offensive game. But its only 6 games in and he is still really young.

One huge bonus about him is he is fudging rapid. Not many will be able to burst past him in midfield without a) one hell of a battle b) without getting chopped.

I'm loving watching him in central mdfield. I feel we havent had a solid presence like this in the middle since the days of Scotty Sideways Parker, but Dier is leagues above him in terms of mobility and technique. Obviously not in terms of nous, but that'll come.

There were a couple of occasions today where he went to cover a wide attack and he was telling Toby and Jan to stay back and not break formation, very good from him.

Am also very impressed with him....but dont think we should get carried away! He is still a bit clumsy when getting the ball with his back to the play, doesnt naturally turn defence into attack. But in saying that I really like him as a player and a leader so willl forgive the shortcomings.

I don't think that he looks clumsy at all, he looks composed. I think the fact that he is a beast of a man he may not look finesse type like carrick, i think his style is just about right for his current role in our midfield.

What both he and Alli did really well today, was that when Palace started their intense closing down to win the ball back, they either passed through the first line of press, or crossed the ball, taking it away from the focus point of palace's pressing. Really clever play to deal with high pressing teams. Initially we did what Palace wanted by playing short passes and getting into trouble, losing the ball, but after a little while, Dier and Alli started playing the ball longer and through that line of pressure.

Dier has been so good for us and such a catalyst to shoring up the defensive part of our game, that if he is out with an injury or needs rest, there doesn't appear to be someone to replace him. We have plenty of coverage for every other position, but no one for DM. Bentaleb hasn't convinced me yet he can do a decent job at it and playing Jan or Toby kinda defeats the purpose, because they will need rest too. Veljkovic is the next one that comes to mind, but it looks Poch doesn't really rate him. Thoughts?

He has an engine and a half! Plus he's deceptively quick.. And some of those long-range diagonal balls, sheeeeiiit Dawson take note.

He has all the traits to become one of the great holding midfielders.

Back