• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

ENIC

The thing that got me in this window was a lack of foresight. We go in with a 13 mill bid in the afternoon of the final day of the window, why not do that at the start of the window and then if negotiations break down by say mid-jan go to the next target and we may have been able to bring in someone like Negredo if we had the time as Sevilla were crying out for the money and maybe would have taken 13-15 mill. Even skint Everton were in there about to do a deal when that should have been us.. If that didn't happen then maybe we could loaned someone.. It just stank what happened yesterday and tinkled me off, it was as if he was saying i'll show the fans that we tried but all along knew we would be re-buffed. That one off Jan deal a few seasons back when we bought in VDV was defo a one off. I just want someone in there who knows what their doing and has a plan because form the outside it doesn't look good.

1. Reports suggest that it was Internacional who were so keen to do a deal that they made contact with Spurs at the last minute - not vice versa. In the circumstances, it was only natural that Spurs tested the water to see whether or not there genuinely was a deal to be done. Turns out that there wasn't. All of which suggests to me that Spurs weren't going to bid for Leandro at all until Internacional came running to us, hoping that we would pay their overinflated asking price. So, no.......I don't think it was grandstanding by Levy.

2. The fact that Everton were in for Negredo is irrelevant. So were we, according to many accounts. But Everton were apparently thwarted by the fact that Sevilla were demanding far too high a price for Negredo. And it's quite likely that we were too.

3. VDV was an August 31st signing. Not January 31st.

You have a point about Michu. But it's not a stick you can beat Levy with - at least, not directly. Very much a failing of the football staff. Sherwood is on record as saying that he went to watch Michu last season and decided that he wasn't right for us.

As to Benteke and the like, I fully agree. We need to be finding the future stars rather than vainly chasing players that are overvalued or who want wages that we can't afford. Our scouts are not doing the business. Major overhaul required.

The post you were responding to said he is 'a very good finisher and better in that respect than any striker currently at Spurs'...I think it would be prudent to wait and see how Michu does over the next couple of seasons. More often than not, players like him get found out. Yes, he's decent, but at the end of the day (and quote me on this) I believe he will end up being a Spanish Grant Holt. I agree that at 2 million he would've been decent, but it's arguable if he's even the right sort of striker to play the way AVB likes to.

You have a point about Michu. But it's not a stick you can beat Levy with - at least, not directly. Very much a failing of the football staff. Sherwood is on record as saying that he went to watch Michu last season and decided that he wasn't right for us.

As to Benteke and the like, I fully agree. We need to be finding the future stars rather than vainly chasing players that are overvalued or who want wages that we can't afford. Our scouts are not doing the business. Major overhaul required.

We've not done too badly over the last few years...Bale and Lennon, both lower-tier purchases, Walker and Naughton the same...I think the frustration comes with strikers particularly, where frankly, I cannot remember the last one of note we picked up in this 'scouted-purchase' fashion that worked out. Benteke? An excellent prospect for sure, but I'd say we're not the only ones kicking ourselves.

Of course there is also the blunt reality that had we signed Benteke, and had he had the same sort of start he had at Villa, he'd have been ridiculed and crucified by some of our fan-base before his career had been given a chance! You know it's true...the abuse Dempsey got was absurdly disproportionate; few are as single-minded or tough enough to take it like he did.

I think we have to remember that Levy is chairman, not owner or dictator. He is chairman of a board of directors, all of these decisions are joint decisions, not Levy working independently. There's a budget agreed and Levy negotiates within that budget.
The strategy is right, most decisions are good, all are well intended, we just have to live with the ones that back fire.

Michu Michu Michu - remember Bentley? One season wonder. Michu has looked good and quite intelligent but ill reserve judgement.

Benteke Benteke Benteke - remember Bentley? One season wonder. I don't even think Benteke is that good nor intelligent enough - from what I have seen admittedly not a great deal.

I would wait for another season to pass judgement.

Levys main issue is he is stuck between a rock and a hard place. He wants us to progress simultaneously he can only do it with the boundaries of the financial budgets he has to play with. Levy also needs to distinguish between his role as a Chairman and that of a Director of Football as that he is not.

It is frustrating however that there is a great chance for third here and we were unable to get that one player who may have made a difference - the same as the previous season.

Levy in my opinion is happy with fourth and I don't think he, Lewis or the Board have in their minds or ability to push on beyond that.

Levy in my opinion is happy with fourth and I don't think he, Lewis or the Board have in their minds or ability to push on beyond that.

not in their ability? sorry man that's crap (rest of the post was decent) last season the manager was provided with all the tools necessary to finish 3rd but bottled it, Levy can't odds that. we didn't need extra players last season, we needed a manager not to have his head in the clouds dreaming of England or letting our back up players leave on loan/transfers when we had a thin squad outside of the first XI.

until we are in a position to close the considerable gap between ourselves and the top 3 financially i don't see how anyone can be unhappy with 4th being the boards limitations atm especially when outside of that financial top 3 we are still someway behind Arsenal and Liverpool in terms of finances.

we have built a strong squad based on a smart and well thought out transfer model, there will be times like last season when everything comes together and we get a chance to jump up a position or two as the players reach their potential together and our rivals are not at their peak but there is also the possibility that we will have a bad season like the end of Jol/start of Ramos times when our top players get poached and the replacements aren't as good as we initially had thought. that's the game we have to play until we have the new stadium here and the turnover which means we can attract more 'dead cert' type players. Levy needs a man in charge who shares his vision, Im hope Villa Boas is that man and that he can consistently get the best out of our players and build a team/style that is greater than the sum of it's parts

Last edited:
Michu Michu Michu - remember Bentley? One season wonder. Michu has looked good and quite intelligent but ill reserve judgement.

Benteke Benteke Benteke - remember Bentley? One season wonder. I don't even think Benteke is that good nor intelligent enough - from what I have seen admittedly not a great deal.

I would wait for another season to pass judgement.

Levys main issue is he is stuck between a rock and a hard place. He wants us to progress simultaneously he can only do it with the boundaries of the financial budgets he has to play with. Levy also needs to distinguish between his role as a Chairman and that of a Director of Football as that he is not.

It is frustrating however that there is a great chance for third here and we were unable to get that one player who may have made a difference - the same as the previous season.

Are you not happy with fourth considering how brick we were before that? Just look at Villa/Saudi Sportswashing Machine. Similar size clubs/Similar size fanbases.
They have imploded of late and are nowhere.
Does it not show ambition that we are building this new stadium to maximize revenue? Building a new training ground to attract top players? The foundations is now there.
All it is going to take now is patience from the fans.

Oh and on another note, how do you propose to push beyond 4th place, when we have;

Manchester united (Huge worldwide brand)
Emirates Marketing Project (Sheikh)
Chelsea (Abramovich)

Ahead of us....

:-k

Are you not happy with fourth considering how brick we were before that? Just look at Villa/Saudi Sportswashing Machine. Similar size clubs/Similar size fanbases.
They have imploded of late and are nowhere.
Does it not show ambition that we are building this new stadium to maximize revenue? Building a new training ground to attract top players? The foundations is now there.
All it is going to take now is patience from the fans.

Oh and on another note, how do you propose to push beyond 4th place, when we have;

Manchester united (Huge worldwide brand)
Emirates Marketing Project (Sheikh)
Chelsea (Abramovich)

Ahead of us....

:-k

By signing all those world class players who are quing up to sign for us. Its so easy being a chairman don't know what all the fuss is about.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Fapatalk HD

one trophy in 12 years

not only have city and chelsea overtaken us

qp fudging r spent more than us

tragic

We've not done too badly over the last few years...Bale and Lennon, both lower-tier purchases, Walker and Naughton the same...I think the frustration comes with strikers particularly, where frankly, I cannot remember the last one of note we picked up in this 'scouted-purchase' fashion that worked out. Benteke? An excellent prospect for sure, but I'd say we're not the only ones kicking ourselves.

Of course there is also the blunt reality that had we signed Benteke, and had he had the same sort of start he had at Villa, he'd have been ridiculed and crucified by some of our fan-base before his career had been given a chance! You know it's true...the abuse Dempsey got was absurdly disproportionate; few are as single-minded or tough enough to take it like he did.

For all the successful signings we've made in other positions, no one could really deny that we've failed to have similar success with signing strikers - ever since Berbatov. And that's seven years ago.

I'm not saying that Benteke is the answer. But something is amiss with our scouting system when we find ourselves failing, year after year, to find strikers in the same way that we seem to be able to find midfielders and defenders.

Am I missing some kind of sarcasm on this forum? Because I am losing the will to live here somtimes...

Welcome neighbour! Well kind of although born in Enfield (Carterhatch Lane side) I now live in cheshunt and still work in and around Enfield Chase Side! Indeed, all sorts of weirdos on this forum!

I'm one of Levys biggest fans but we've made a big mistake not bringing in a striker last month.

Welcome neighbour! Well kind of although born in Enfield (Carterhatch Lane side) I now live in cheshunt and still work in and around Enfield Chase Side! Indeed, all sorts of weirdos on this forum!

I'm one of Levys biggest fans but we've made a big mistake not bringing in a striker last month.

Harry Kane will be our saviour; Im sticking my neck out there!
Not that I know him or anything 8-[
Lol..
Keep faith in the striker predicament.

By the way, on another note, well done on getting out of Enfield. brickhole central now!

one trophy in 12 years

tragic

mate think about what you just wrote for a second

does not take anything to go out and spend money, just means you end up like leeds or even Emirates Marketing Project first time round when they were down in league 1

Spending money like pr is not a sign of doing things right, i find your comment hard to understand.

Im not the biggest levy fan but he runs us well on the money side of things, maybe as jimmyb said earlier we need to sort out our sscouting side but honestly levy not spending like qpr is not a sign of failure but a sign of common sense.

Harry Kane will be our saviour; Im sticking my neck out there!
Not that I know him or anything 8-[
Lol..
Keep faith in the striker predicament.

By the way, on another note, well done on getting out of Enfield. brickhole central now!

I know mate. I work for William Hill on relief and work all down the Hertford Road. Spent 4/5 years working in and around Harringay and Wood Green too and there's no difference anymore such is the level of scum walking the streets! Such a shame as when I was a kid it was such a nice area.

Harry Kane will never be the answer lol.

For all the successful signings we've made in other positions, no one could really deny that we've failed to have similar success with signing strikers - ever since Berbatov. And that's seven years ago.

I'm not saying that Benteke is the answer. But something is amiss with our scouting system when we find ourselves failing, year after year, to find strikers in the same way that we seem to be able to find midfielders and defenders.

Im starting to think it is to do with the class system we have in this country. It is like we are middle class and we are scared to make the jump up to upper class, getting a striker in would make us upper class but we are scared to try it, its like we do not believe in ourselves to be upper class.

We need elocution lessons i think.

one trophy in 12 years

tragic

That was a joke,.. right?

If it wasn't then I just don't know where to start on how many points your missing and don't think I have the energy for it either.

We've got a world class striker in and for peanuts in transfer fees, it's just he's played like a **** this year, if we had the ade of last year this point wouldn't be raised.

Back