• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Emmanuel Adebayor - Officially gone \o/

Some people really don't realise how reliant we are on him right now. He's likely gong to be our main threat against the the Spmamers, Gooners and against Liverpool. We'll need him motivated and feeling wanted, not lacking more confidence than he does evn now..sigh...

How can he be the main man for Togo and even carry them singlehandedly in some of the games, yet play such utter tripe for us? A mystery for sure.

How can he be the main man for Togo and even carry them singlehandedly in some of the games, yet play such utter tripe for us? A mystery for sure.

You can't compare the dynamics of international football in Africa with PL and European football; That's far too simplistic.
In any case he was feeding on scraps tonight and against a good and well-season Lyon side (who have far morr recent European pedigree than us, for example)

If he does, it is because the teams he faces with Togo are of a much lower standard. As it is, he doesn't actually, he scored 1 goal in 4 matches in the Afcon. He's just not in great form at the moment for either of us.

You can't compare the dynamics of international football in Africa with PL and European football; That's far too simplistic.
In any case he was feeding on scraps tonight and against a good and well-season Lyon side (who have far morr recent European pedigree than us, for example)

Exactly.

The ironic cheers when he won a couple of late headers were entirely understandable and I very much doubt that Ade realised what was going on. It was only a very minor thing by a small minority of the crowd. Nothing nasty.

Thing is, for a bloke of 6'4", he really doesn't play that target man role well enough - at least, certainly not often enough. Compare and contrast to Gomis at the other end of the pitch. Caused Verts no end of problems throughout the match.

If the rest of Ade's game was on song, it wouldn't matter so much. But it isn't. His touch is woeful at the moment. Nothing is sticking. His passing is off. He is not getting into the right positions.

I really want him to rediscover his form from the first half of last season. But patience is wearing thin.

People can complain all they like about Ade. From tonight's game it seems like he's truly feeding on scraps.

I thought he worked his socks off today. Hopefully he'll get a break soon; it's not for lack of effort that's for sure

I didn't get to see the game this morning (Melbourne time) but I really hope you're right. If he's working, his luck will change especially with the players like Bale Lennon and Dembele around him. Roy1983 however didn't see it the same way you did so I don't know what to believe.

The ironic cheers when he won a couple of late headers were entirely understandable and I very much doubt that Ade realised what was going on. It was only a very minor thing by a small minority of the crowd. Nothing nasty.

Thing is, for a bloke of 6'4", he really doesn't play that target man role well enough - at least, certainly not often enough. Compare and contrast to Gomis at the other end of the pitch. Caused Verts no end of problems throughout the match.

If the rest of Ade's game was on song, it wouldn't matter so much. But it isn't. His touch is woeful at the moment. Nothing is sticking. His passing is off. He is not getting into the right positions.

I really want him to rediscover his form from the first half of last season. But patience is wearing thin.

I disagree. It was a minority for sure (then again, it was only a minority creating any kind of sound at all) but it was loud enough (or the stadium quiet enough, choose either way) for everyone to hear. It happened 3 times, I'm guessing by the 3rd time at least, a link was made in Adebayor's head, he's not an imbecile.

Listen, I'm not saying that Adebayor is having a great time of it. He isn't. His form has been appalling and I wasn't particularly impressed with him tonight either. However, we're now unfortunately stuck with him and Defoe till the end of the season. Both prone to long streaks without scoring, both confidence players, both so bad when they're bad that its like playing with 10 men. They are both going through a bad spell right now and thank GHod for Bale, otherwise we wouldn't be scoring at all.

However, we're stuck with them and we have to find ways of getting by with them until the end of the season. Adebayor only seems to work when he's confident. Something's not right, whether its in his head, his house, his bank account, the training ground, I don't know but something isn't right. But we have to do everything we can to help him, for our own selfish reasons, and groaning and grumbling every time he misplaces a pass or ironically cheering does nothing positive whatsoever.

I disagree. It was a minority for sure (then again, it was only a minority creating any kind of sound at all) but it was loud enough (or the stadium quiet enough, choose either way) for everyone to hear. It happened 3 times, I'm guessing by the 3rd time at least, a link was made in Adebayor's head, he's not an imbecile.

Listen, I'm not saying that Adebayor is having a great time of it. He isn't. His form has been appalling and I wasn't particularly impressed with him tonight either. However, we're now unfortunately stuck with him and Defoe till the end of the season. Both prone to long streaks without scoring, both confidence players, both so bad when they're bad that its like playing with 10 men. They are both going through a bad spell right now and thank GHod for Bale, otherwise we wouldn't be scoring at all.

However, we're stuck with them and we have to find ways of getting by with them until the end of the season. Adebayor only seems to work when he's confident. Something's not right, whether its in his head, his house, his bank account, the training ground, I don't know but something isn't right. But we have to do everything we can to help him, for our own selfish reasons, and groaning and grumbling every time he misplaces a pass or ironically cheering does nothing positive whatsoever.

Thing is, you can't stop fans groaning when things persistently don't go right. It's a reflex action - out of the mouth before you know what you're doing. It can't be avoided. So if Ade is in a rut of poor form, he'll have to learn to live with groans. It's not like booing - which is premeditated and entirely avoidable.

The ironic cheers are avoidable, granted. But again, I'm not sure that Ade would have realised what they were about. I'm not entirely sure that he would even have heard them.

Thats just rubbish. Were you even there?
His attitude is dogbrick. What has their european pedigree got to do with anything?

I thought Adebayor was well off the pace tonight - things could have been so much different if he put that chance away in the first half though.

But I can't fault his work ethic as he put in a very solid shift for us.

I'm sure his touch and goalscoring will return, so it's just a case of sticking with him until things turn round.

I'm not Adebayor's biggest fan, but I think he put in a good shift tonight, pressed them well, particularly in the first half, and made some good runs and was unlucky not to score. Drifted away in the second somewhat, but I was overall pleased with his performance and attitude.

The guys form is shocking and without his goals we simply will not come in the top four.

Too much negativity methinks. Ade isn't scoring but football is unpredictable. He could yet become a hero this season, let's think positive and see Ade's glass as half full - why be defeatist?

As with some of our other players (Gallas and Dempsey spring to mind, but others as well), some of our fans have decided that they are not good enough for whatever silly reasons and it takes pretty much a world class performance to not be labeled brick after every game. Some of the criticism makes me wonder if they even watch us play.

so is ade officially the new jenas around here? some of the criticism, especially in the lyon OMT is absolutely unwarranted and outrageous.

so is ade officially the new jenas around here? some of the criticism, especially in the lyon OMT is absolutely unwarranted and outrageous.

I think Dempsey is the new Jenas, though Parker seem to be coming along nicely. Ade is more of a Bent or Bentley, not quite sure yet.

As with some of our other players (Gallas and Dempsey spring to mind, but others as well), some of our fans have decided that they are not good enough for whatever silly reasons and it takes pretty much a world class performance to not be labeled brick after every game. Some of the criticism makes me wonder if they even watch us play.

This.

I guess the fact that Ade has only scored 2 league goals all season, has a shocking first touch and an inability to hold the ball up it has nothing to do with his criticism

Ironic considering your comments on Dawson in general

People can complain all they like about Ade. From tonight's game it seems like he's truly feeding on scraps.

I thought he worked his socks off today. Hopefully he'll get a break soon; it's not for lack of effort that's for sure

His first touch was shocking and when he did get the ball he simply failed to hold the ball up

Adebayor has been off-chocolates for most of the season.

But he still puts-in a decent shift, so I can't fault him for that.

With strikers it's invariably a matter of confidence - once Adebayor's returns I'm sure he'll be back to his lethal best.

Some people on here don't seem to know the difference between form/ability and work rate.

Coventry at home in the cup is the only time i thought Adebayor didn't put in the required work rate - other than that he has been playing poorly but not without effort and i'll argue that point all day long.

Back