• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Emmanuel Adebayor - Officially gone \o/

I can read. Your implication was Ade had a couple of weeks away from his normal job (perhaps for an IT course) and he should breeze back to work.
In fact he had the hopes of an entire nation on his shoulder for a long period. He is the main man in Togo. He ain't the left back. Can you name the left back for Togo who is probably back at Gillingham or wherever?
We see Gazza today in rehab. I pray Ade does not have similar demons. Gazza never had anybody trying to shoot him dead.

There was no implication. Only your wayward inference. But if you are really incapable of admitting that you got it wrong, I can't be bothered to labour the point.

As to pressure, we all have it in our jobs. Ade maybe shoulders more than others in the Togo team but it's still only kicking a ball around - not saving a child's life or storming an Al Qaeda stronghold. You can't say that he shoulders more than a doctor, a soldier or an airline pilot. Or even an actor, a banker or teacher for that matter. Different types of pressure, perhaps. But none of them less real than that which Ade has to deal with.

because Dempsey went away for a few days and all his flights would have been sorted out beforehand, plus it was a one game break, in and out minimum fuss.

Adebayor went to play in an international tournament so :
played more games
was a away for a lot longer
return journey wasn't arranged beforehand

This is all true up to a point. But five days......? Five days to organise a flight to England from South Africa? Nope. I'm not buying that.

you might very well expect him back at the same time as our European Internationals but that doesn't mean Adebayor was told anything like that by the Club does it? :~

I think it's pretty obvious from what AVB said that Ade was initially expected back in time to train on Thursday.

There was no implication. Only your wayward inference. But if you are really incapable of admitting that you got it wrong, I can't be bothered to labour the point.

As to pressure, we all have it in our jobs. Ade maybe shoulders more than others in the Togo team but it's still only kicking a ball around - not saving a child's life or storming an Al Qaeda stronghold. You can't say that he shoulders more than a doctor, a soldier or an airline pilot. Or even an actor, a banker or teacher for that matter. Different types of pressure, perhaps. But none of them less real than that which Ade has to deal with.

I didn't "get it wrong" I was making a point which you have completely missed with the doctors and nurses stuff. A plumber or a road sweeper have issues just as much as someone in the public eye.

I didn't "get it wrong" I was making a point which you have completely missed with the doctors and nurses stuff. A plumber or a road sweeper have issues just as much as someone in the public eye.

Nope....I'm not having that.

You misunderstood a post that I made about being away for a few weeks and not subsequently needing an extra week to get back to work. You thought that I was talking about having been away on a holiday and posted to that effect. When I pointed out that that was not what I was talking about, you changed your tune and accused me, instead, of implying that I was talking about having been away on holiday. That was still wrong. There was no such implication. Only your wayward inference.

So please let it go, fella. I don't want to have to explain it again.

This is all true up to a point. But five days......? Five days to organise a flight to England from South Africa? Nope. I'm not buying that.

I think it's pretty obvious from what AVB said that Ade was initially expected back in time to train on Thursday.

Assuming he was still in South Africa at the time.

I think it's pretty obvious that AVB said he was expected back on friday at the latest. Which i am hoping he will be.

You are such a gear grinder Spamalot. It's actually pretty tiresome how you constantly debate for the sake of argument.. You are hereby banned from back to back tossing, forever. Maybe.

Hmmm...

"Spoke to him on monday..."
"I know where he is but it's not my place to say..."
"We're trying to figure out the best flight connections..."
"We expect him back friday at the latest..."

Me thinks Ade's asked AVB if he can take a few days off and travel to Togo to take care of some personal business. The bit about flight connections is key. I'm sure AVB wasn't talking about South Africa.

It's a bit like a londoner that works in the US they get sent to Germany for a conference. And they ask their boss for a few days off to go home for a bit. Nothing unprofessional about that as long as he's back in time for when the company needs him.

Assuming he was still in South Africa at the time.

I think it's pretty obvious that AVB said he was expected back on friday at the latest. Which i am hoping he will be.

No doubt that he is NOW expected back for today's 3pm training session at the latest. But, from what AVB said, it's fairly clear that he was initially expected back for yesterday's 3pm training session.

Actually, I really think we can.
Considering how much work he does for people in Togo.
How much is expected of him.

Unless anyone here is a very rich and successful person who has left their poor country but often returns, is feted as a hero but has massive expectation upon then to put personal resources into various needy causes then I am highly doubtful that you do understand the pressure.

If all he did was kick a ball around you may be right.
But, with his life, he does more than that. It is not his job, but perhaps it is his calling. And that is more important.

If all he did was kick a ball around you may be right.
But, with his life, he does more than that. It is not his job, but perhaps it is his calling. And that is more important.

He's a THFC employee - if he needed to go and 'find himself' - fair enough, retire from football and do some free-lancing work. But as long as he's on our payroll there is a certain code of conduct he needs to adhere to.

Their tournament finished on Sunday night - what 'national' expectations and responsibilites could he possibly have towards his team-mates and country? Stay behind and make their beds, clean the hotel rooms? Sorry, not buying any of this

So long as he is healthy and happy I don't care if he turns up just ten minutes before kick off.

Exactly. Who was the fantastic centre-back we got in, just before we played and beat Liverpool at the Lane 5 or 6 years ago? He hadn't been with the club for more than 24 hours had he (realises he could be talking gonad*s here!)?

He's a THFC employee - if he needed to go and 'find himself' - fair enough, retire from football and do some free-lancing work. But as long as he's on our payroll there is a certain code of conduct he needs to adhere to.

Their tournament finished on Sunday night - what 'national' expectations and responsibilites could he possibly have towards his team-mates and country? Stay behind and make their beds, clean the hotel rooms? Sorry, not buying any of this

As long as what he does is agreed upon with AVB then surely there shouldn't be a problem?

He played 120 minutes on a bumpy pitch on Sunday after a fairly tough 4 games in a short period of time. If he wanted a couple of days off, talked to AVB and he was cool with it then surely there's no problem.

If the agreement with Spurs was a different one then of course Ade is in the wrong. No one is denying that, although there might be some disagreements about what kinds of repercussions this should have for him at Spurs.

Didn't sound to me from the press-conference like it was agreed prior.

And if so - why didn't the club release an official statement earlier in the week indicating Ade would be given a few days off - much like it has been the case in the past with other players?

Ether way - wish we would (ultimately) find out the truth - fat chance though

Last edited:
On a birghter note - old Ade classic

[video=youtube;jgeDhHS-bRs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=jgeDhHS-bRs[/video]

You are such a gear grinder Spamalot. It's actually pretty tiresome how you constantly debate for the sake of argument.. You are hereby banned from back to back tossing, forever. Maybe.

Gear grinder?

If he's not in training today then fudge him.

If he is, i see no issue here, just a bunch of people on an online forum with no idea what is/has gone on.

Last edited:
Nope....I'm not having that.

You misunderstood a post that I made about being away for a few weeks and not subsequently needing an extra week to get back to work. You thought that I was talking about having been away on a holiday and posted to that effect. When I pointed out that that was not what I was talking about, you changed your tune and accused me, instead, of implying that I was talking about having been away on holiday. That was still wrong. There was no such implication. Only your wayward inference.

So please let it go, fella. I don't want to have to explain it again.

OK, fella, it looks like I will add you to the list of rude pedants on this site. I thought you were one of the better posters here.
I thought we were having a discussion about Adebayor's fitness not whether he was on holidays or an IT course.
I take the view he maybe needs a few days off or even longer and you disagree.
Nobody is "right" or "wrong."
Our conversation on this matter is concluded.

Back