• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Down White Hart Memory Lane

My last game at the lane tomorrow and hoping that we continue our winning run and end Arsenal's top 4 hopes.

My first game was in 1963 when Spurs beat West Ham United 3-0 with a mix of the double side and their early replacements. One of the best games of the early matches I saw was the 5-1 win over Manchester United, in 1967 I think, with Jimmy Greaves dribbling around half of the United team to score his goal. I remember being fascinated that all 5 forwards from 7-11 scored one goal each that day and then getting Kenneth Wolstenholme to sign my programme as the game had been chosen for Match of the Day. Another early memory was the 4-3 FA Cup 3rd round win over Burnley after going 2 goals down after 4 minutes with Gilly scoring the winner shortly before the end. I remember trying to jump over the wall along with the other fans to celebrate the win.

Other early memories are the 5-5 draw with Aston Villa after being 5-1 up at half time and the 4-2 win over Leeds, Cyril Knowles with 2 goals, to preserve our Division 1 status. Then there was the 9-0 win with our new superstar(!) Colin Lee scoring 4 goals while in the 2nd Division, the UEFA Cup final penalty shoot out win (stand up Tony Parks), and numerous spectacular goals from the likes of Hoddle, Klinsmann, Gazza and Ginola.

More recently, we have enjoyed the 5-1 win over Arsenal in the League Cup Semi, beating Arsenal and Chelsea twice in 8 days to qualify for the Champions league and 3 years ago the 4-2 New Years day win over Chelsea.

All great games and games I will never forget. Let's hope that the game later today adds to the list

Last edited:
That was what I meant to say, now edited! Even Ian Moores scored 3 on that day and he was one of the poorest centre forwards that ever played for Spurs
And then Hodd and Peter Taylor grabbed one apiece. And the result made it on to the BBC 9 o'clock news.

2860.jpg

4334.jpg

3842.jpg

Of all the games I've been to, five games that I went to stand out to me. I think the choice of games mostly reflect how sh1t we have been for the period of time I've been into football!

Spurs 3-4 Villa. In 1994, I was ten and my first game at WHL. Gerry Francis' first game in charge iirc. 0-3 down at half-time, gutted, came back to 3-3, elated, and then lost it in the last minute with Dean Saunders getting the winner. A rollercoaster ride ultimately ending with my hopes dashed, a microcosm of my life as a Spurs fan, little did I know it at the time!

Spurs 0 - 3 Boro. I can't remember the year, Teddy and Iversen were in the team though. The only game I've ever left early, I remember looking at the scoreboard and it saying 86 mins when I left (this is the main reason this game stands out to me). Ghod was manager iirc, but the details are hazy. Up there with the worst I have seen us play though.

Spurs 9-1 Wigan. My mate's brother was ill, so he had a spare ticket. "Only Wigan" I thought, "but phuck it, why not?" Good call.

Spurs 2-1 Chelsea. We should have beaten them 10-1, brilliant to tear them apart and see that qunt Terry so wound up by the crowd, getting sent off. Great atmosphere. And a Bale goal with his right foot.

Spurs 0-0 Milan. Most enjoyable 0-0 I've watched! Got us into the quarter-finals of the Champions League.

That was my first game too, I was 11. National Lottery launched that day and I remember Arsenal lost 1-0 to Southampton and missed a penalty which softened the blow!

Some of my favs,

Spurs 1-0 Arsenal - First NLD in Jan '95, Popescu got the winner. Unbelievable experience under he lights.

Spurs 4-2 Saudi Sportswashing Machine - Jan '01. Game had it all, 3 red cards, 2-3 pens (1 missed), great goal from Rebrov with outside of his foot.

Spurs 5-1 Chelsea - Probably the best atmosphere I ever experienced at White Hart Lane. Absolutely Electric.

Spurs 3-1 Club Brugge - First group game back in the UEFA Cup, Berbatov was irresistible, as was the atmosphere.

Spurs 2-1 Chelsea - first win in the league in 16 years, was unbelievable going a goal behind and that Ledley tackle before Dawson and Lennon won it.

Spurs 2-2 Sevilla - Probably the second best atmosphere I experienced at Home. Martin Jol's blue and white army rang out for the whole of the second half it seemed.

Spurs 6-4 Reading - just a nuts game that you see every now and then.

Spurs 5-1 Arsenal - Enough said!

Spurs 2-1 Liverpool - 3rd game under Redknapp after beating Bolton and the 4-4 at Arsenal....... came from behind late to win and the belief came flooding back.

Spurs 4-0 Young Boys - Amazing night and result after the 1st leg....... early goal and the it flowed from there.

Spurs 4-1 FC Twente - first home group game, missed pen, 2 scored, VDV sent off........ another crazy European night under the lights.

Spurs 3-1 Emirates Marketing Project - 0-1 down.......3 goals in 15 mins won the game with a great Bale performance and goal.

Spurs 2-0 Chelsea - One of the most complete performances I've seen in controlling a side who had won 13 in a row.

Guardian sport

✔@guardian_sport

Béla Guttmann and the barber’s trip that helped Benfica win the European Cup. Book extract, by @DavidBolchoverhttps://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/may/18/bela-guttmann-benfica-european-cup-eusebio?CMP=share_btn_tw …

1:32 PM - 18 May 2017 · Walthamstow, London

Excellent article except the confounded thing makes no mention the way Benfica totally got at the ref and lino in that European Cup SF second leg at WHL in 1962 to reverse Jimmy Greaves' brilliant breakaway goal. The goal had already been given but was then disallowed when Benfica claimed the lino had briefly raised his flag - inexplicably - for offside earlier in the move. Had that goal been allowed to stand there is every likelihood we would have gone on to make it to the final.

Despite our defeat over the two legs that game was by far the most memorable I ever attended at WHL, surpassing high-scoring games like our earlier, electric 8-1 thrashing of Gornik Zabrze in the EC first round second leg when we came back from 2-4 down, as well as a 9-2 annihilation of Nottingham Forest and 7-2 eviceration of Liverpool in the mid-60s.

Last edited:
Not quite sure where to put this, but as many of you may know, the Club have put a bunch of items from the Lane finale up for auction on eBay, with all proceeds going to the Tottenham Tribute Trust ("dedicated to serving the needs of former players who find themselves in a situation that compromises their quality of life").

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/tottenhamhotspurofficial/m.html

I'm all of good causes but a "warm up shirt" worn by "a spurs player" for 300 quid is taking the michael a bit

I originally posted this in the book/DVD recommendation thread but might be better placed in here.
• One-hour docufilm will air exclusively on BT Sport 1 at 9pm on Saturday 16 December and be available to purchase for download or stream via iTunes and Amazon

The club website now has some more info as well :

Club representatives, including Daniel Levy and Mauricio Pochettino, join players from throughout the eras for The Lane, The Premiere
• Exclusive event hosted at BT Sport Studios in Olympic Park, London to launch new docufilm celebrating the Club’s historic former stadium
• The Lane captures the 118-year story of the stadium that rose from humble beginnings to become a London landmark
• One-hour docufilm will air exclusively on BT Sport 1 at 9pm on Saturday 16 December and be available to purchase for download or stream via iTunes and Amazon

Tottenham Hotspur last night held an exclusive Premiere of The Lane – a new docufilm celebrating the legacy of the Club’s historic former home, White Hart Lane.

Senior representatives from the Club, including Daniel Levy and the Board of Directors, Mauricio Pochettino and his first team coaching staff, Club captain, Hugo Lloris, and the Club’s Under-18 Academy squad joined special guests including notable former players from throughout the eras at the event held at the BT Sport Production Hub in Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park, London.

The one-hour film will air for the first time in the UK exclusively on BT Sport 1 at 9pm on Saturday 16 December, following our live match with Emirates Marketing Project that evening.

It captures the 118-year story of the stadium that rose from humble beginnings to become a London landmark, bringing to life the exhilarating match-day experience and recalling those incredible moments in history, from the glory nights to the unique untold stories that shaped lives.

The story is told using rarely seen archive of classic moments and interviews with legendary former players such as Cliff Jones, Pat Jennings, Glenn Hoddle, Ledley King and Ossie Ardiles. There’s also unparalleled behind-the-scenes access with the current team as the record-breaking final season at White Hart Lane came to an emotional conclusion in May.

Club Chairman, Daniel Levy, said: “White Hart Lane will hold special significance and memories that will last throughout our lives. To be Chairman of the Club as we said farewell to the Lane was a humbling moment.

“We are growing – we outgrew the Lane and we are building a wonderful new home in its place. We are determined it will be a worthy successor to the Lane and a fitting stage for our current and future great teams.”

Upon watching The Lane for the first time, current Manager, Mauricio Pochettino, said: “It was an extremely powerful film that evoked many fantastic memories of a stadium.

“We are building towards an exciting future and always moving forwards, so it is important to reflect on what has gone before and this film will also serve to educate the next generation on what White Hart Lane meant to so many - I’m glad our Academy lads were here tonight to see it too.”

Luke Mellows, the film’s Director and lifelong Spurs fan, said: “This was a real passion project for me and an absolute pleasure to research and shoot during such an exciting and poignant time at the Club.

“I cannot thank the Club enough for the access provided to current and former players at the time, as well as the many fans and great characters I met and who contributed to the project by sharing their fascinating stories of what the Lane meant to them.”

The night also recognised the work of the Tottenham Tribute Trust, a charity that benefitted from fundraising activity during White Hart Lane’s Finale in May.

The Trust is the first of its kind, established and supported by the Club, dedicated to serving the needs of former players who find themselves in a situation that compromises their quality of life.

Following The Lane’s exclusive airing on BT Sport, the film will be available to purchase for download or stream via iTunes or Amazon.

Back