• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Doping in athletics thread

The biggest surprise for me is that people are still surprised when they find out cyclists/athletes are doping.

The sooner people realise that everyone is doing it (some more legally than others) the sooner we can get on with deciding whether we want an F1-style superhuman competition or that we want to clamp down properly and have a straight one.

The biggest surprise for me is that people are still surprised when they find out cyclists/athletes are doping.

The sooner people realise that everyone is doing it (some more legally than others) the sooner we can get on with deciding whether we want an F1-style superhuman competition or that we want to clamp down properly and have a straight one.

Used to be a sprinter myself and always looked forward to the Olympic athletics, but now don't watch it. Remember the Ben Johnson final? Every one of the eight finalists was eventually exposed as a drug cheat. Now I just assume that they all on the juice.

Should have both so you can compare how big a difference the drugs actually make.

as much technology goes into masking the drugs these athletes take as in how they can improve their performance by taking them in the first place, everyone is on 'roids in some way or other,sad but thats modern sport for you.

I'd quite like to watch both.

The current version where everyone dopes but pretends they don't holds no interest for me whatsoever.
The problem is it would be like bodybuilding is now - the main event is just who can get the most steroids down their veins without dying, and the 'natural' competitions where its exactly the same as it is now - who can get he most down them without getting caught.

The financial rewards are so great in professional sport, and the improvements through micro dosed/designer steroids I don't think anyone in an individual or small team event is clean.

Football and larger team sports are a less certain area for me though - I think that with the amount of people involved in a club it's probably only done by individuals rather then absolutely everyone or even a majority, otherwise we would have had far more whistle blowers.

The problem is it would be like bodybuilding is now - the main event is just who can get the most steroids down their veins without dying, and the 'natural' competitions where its exactly the same as it is now - who can get he most down them without getting caught.

The financial rewards are so great in professional sport, and the improvements through micro dosed/designer steroids I don't think anyone in an individual or small team event is clean.

Football and larger team sports are a less certain area for me though - I think that with the amount of people involved in a club it's probably only done by individuals rather then absolutely everyone or even a majority, otherwise we would have had far more whistle blowers.
I'm fairly sure there's no systematic doping in football but I'd say it's almost impossible that it doesn't happen at all.

I feel sorry for the athletes who get taken to task for drug use. For one thing, most of their peers are likely doing the same, but just haven't been caught. And secondly, most of the people outside of sports complaining about it have never trained a day in their life like these people do, and can't even fathom their level of dedication. They are still putting the work in.

I feel sorry for the athletes who get taken to task for drug use. For one thing, most of their peers are likely doing the same, but just haven't been caught. And secondly, most of the people outside of sports complaining about it have never trained a day in their life like these people do, and can't even fathom their level of dedication. They are still putting the work in.

I couldn't disagree more with that, its cheating, just because someone else is getting away with cheating doesn't excuse it, if they know its happening then blow the whistle, come out and say, "I know for a fact that that fudger is on EPO and HGH and regularly gets bags of spun blood". If a few more of these "passengers" had the balls to be honest then things would soon clean up. They justify it with "everyone else is doing it" but they reality is they just want a shortcut as well, cnuts the lot of them.

I couldn't disagree more with that, its cheating, just because someone else is getting away with cheating doesn't excuse it, if they know its happening then blow the whistle, come out and say, "I know for a fact that that fudgeer is on EPO and HGH and regularly gets bags of spun blood". If a few more of these "passengers" had the balls to be honest then things would soon clean up. They justify it with "everyone else is doing it" but they reality is they just want a shortcut as well, cnuts the lot of them.
Totally agree. Then the shortcuts become a fast road to ruin. Athletes should be held up as examples of the best the human body and spirit can be.

If a few more of these "passengers" had the balls to be honest then things would soon clean up. They justify it with "everyone else is doing it" but they reality is they just want a shortcut as well, cnuts the lot of them.

things could soon be cleaned up (if there was more whilstelblowers). but i think this would be a long term thing. i think if a current athlete were to be a whilsteblower, in many sports, i think that could spell the end of his career. in cycling for example, an athlete not on drugs had no chance of competing. i wouldnt be surprised if this was the case in numerous other sports too. for the athlete that whistleblows, he would be invloved in a long term process forming his evidence and presenting it in a water-tight manner. by this time, his career could well be over.

rightly or wrongly, i think a lot of athletes could be justifying their doping practices via this line of thinking. just look at what happened to the career of cyclist christophe basson because he refused to be part of the lance armstrong doping regime. he might have a clean conscience, but he wasnt able to do the sport that he loved, nor was he able to make a living from it.

Last edited:
yeah it would probably be the end of their career, like those who have done it, Kimmage and Bassons spring to mind, but that's not the point, "I didn't do the right thing because it was hard" is no excuse

those who truly wanted change fought for it, despite the consequences

you're 100% in that 'doping yourself, just because everyone else is' doesnt make it right. however, i think most people can at least sympathise with the plight that athletes can sometimes find themselves in. the recent revelations in cycling are a good example of this. how many people would seriously give up the sport that they have invested their lives into once they realise that doping is the only way to reach the next level of competition? im sure many young cyclists found themselves in this crappy position of having to contemplate what to do in this situation; and i think its somewhat understandable, if not acceptable that many choose to go the way of drugs when put in this dilemma.

i think its down to the sporting authorities tbh. its up to them to ensure that athletes are not put into the situation whereby they are practically forced to dope.

don't get me wrong, they are victims too, and some are more guilty than others, but none of them are excused

It's not right but it's always going to be part of sport as cheating -whether it's injecting yourself with hormones to run faster, diving to waste time or Henry punching the ball to get his team to the world cup - will never be eradicated while the risk to reward is so skewed and the people with the option are those most driven to succeed.

Only way to get rid of it is to stop watching it and hope everyone else does the same so the reward goes down.

It's easy to look and claim the moral high ground but imagine if all you've ever wanted to do since you were a kid was to play football/run/cycle and you trained and trained, you were better then everyone else you knew you at 12, 13, 14, 15 and went into it professionally at the expense of education or work.

Then you were 16 and you were still technically better than everyone and you worked harder than everyone but you just weren't keeping up, and could see everyone was cheating. Someone you trust and have worked with then comes to you and says 'do you want what they're on' and assures you it's safe and you'll never get caught.

You have the option of either going to the press, having multi million pound PR machines destroying you, your bridges in the sport burnt and having huge libel suits bought against you. The media will surround your life but at the same time you're a young kid with nothing going for you and no way of earning money to feed yourself, let alone enough to defend yourself against the accusations you're just making it up to make up for the fact you're not good enough and aren't going to make it.

Or you do what everyone else does, dope and get a professional contract which will put you in a healthy position for the rest of your life and let you do what you love.

There are very few people that would take the first option, particularly when you consider the drive and determination it takes to get to the point that will be even an option - these people who become professional sportsmen are insanely competitive and those that entertain the idea of quitting -for any reason - rarely get to that stage.

Same reason why the team that wins the league is the one that surrounds the reef and dives - they'll do anything to win.

I couldn't disagree more with that, its cheating, just because someone else is getting away with cheating doesn't excuse it, if they know its happening then blow the whistle, come out and say, "I know for a fact that that fudgeer is on EPO and HGH and regularly gets bags of spun blood". If a few more of these "passengers" had the balls to be honest then things would soon clean up. They justify it with "everyone else is doing it" but they reality is they just want a shortcut as well, cnuts the lot of them.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/aru...n-against-greg-henderson-for-twitter-comments

One cycling suing another over comments he made about the other on twitter

Back