• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Does anyone suffer from mental illness on here?

How are you with moderation?

Its very much a horses for courses thing, of course. I find a few beers every now and then is absolutely "enough" for me, and Ive no real desire to drink in general outside of that. Others, of course, would find it hard to leave it there and find it a trigger of sorts. So much depends on you.

Would completely stopping be best? Or would a routine of a glass of wine a night as a 'treat' be enough to satisfy?

Or, as you say, perhaps a new years health kick could be just the thing you need to change your habits. As I say, it very much depends upon your own strengths and weaknesses....

Whatever you end up trying, good luck!

I'm not very good with moderation. The problem being is that when I have one I want another and another, and I'm only a wee chap so I basically get drunk or tipsy after 2 beers. I've been like that since I started drinking around 13/14 years of age and its never really changed. I can go a week without drinking easily, sometimes 2. So I am no dependant upon alcohol, I just do it to have a good time and get drunk basically which is probably the wrong way.

Maybe I should start by eating healthier and doing more regular exercise but when I do happen go out and have a drink, maybe I should go for the weakest lager? I tend to drink Peroni and Stella and these are the ones that get me really smashed. I never really drink the weak ones like Carling or Fosters as I dont like the taste but maybe I should.

Cheers, I'm sure I will work it out one day!

Knowing yourself is the start, and clearly you have a clear view on that.

Ive always been partial to a Stella, much to my regret the following morning (many times!). I quite like ales/craft beers, and many of them are in the 3-4% range without tasting like tinkle (personal taste accepted of course!) so may be worth trying?

Without becoming an anorak you do end up recognising breweries etc after a while as well so it gets easier to spot a decent pint!

Another thing I did was simply switch to bottles instead of pints, pace yourself and effectively you drink half as much.

I've been thinking about giving up the drink. I have had a couple of office Christmas parties recently and made a complete dingdong of myself by being slimey over the women and then doing some of the naughty stuff. The hangovers have been horrendous and more than often I am not a nice person on alcohol and I have been causing arguments, especially with my family. We had a christmas break up in Lincoln at the weekend and it was awesome but I did cause a few arguments, all whilst I was drunk. All is well and the arguments have been sorted but alcohol is evil and my wife hates me when I drink. I have also been thinking about death and bad things on a hangover (which is fuelled by other stuff too) and I dont like the thoughts I have.

Has anyone tried giving it up successfully, or tried in the past and failed? I wont be going out over Christmas at all so might start before the new year resolutions kick in and see if I can become T-Total and live a much healthier life for me and my family.

GGG

Do it mate, i did it a few years ago now and i have not missed it one bit ( i used to be a big drinker mostly JD and Tequila) but i was doing it most of the time just to be social. I have always been a bit of a keep fit fanatic and to be honest the drinking was making it harder to achieve this.

I find nowadays i can still do the social scene if i want but no longer feel that i have to be half tinkled to enjoy myself. I understand what you mean when about having bad thoughts the morning after a session, as i have said before i have suffered with darkness as well ( and still do on occasion) but i find it a lot easier to manage without the hangover.

Life is a bitch at times but i find its a lot easier to handle without the extra burden of adding to it with a heavy night on the booze, and it also means i feel fitter which ( for me) makes life better.

Good luck pal.

Do it mate, i did it a few years ago now and i have not missed it one bit ( i used to be a big drinker mostly JD and Tequila) but i was doing it most of the time just to be social. I have always been a bit of a keep fit fanatic and to be honest the drinking was making it harder to achieve this.

I find nowadays i can still do the social scene if i want but no longer feel that i have to be half tinkled to enjoy myself. I understand what you mean when about having bad thoughts the morning after a session, as i have said before i have suffered with darkness as well ( and still do on occasion) but i find it a lot easier to manage without the hangover.

Life is a bitch at times but i find its a lot easier to handle without the extra burden of adding to it with a heavy night on the booze, and it also means i feel fitter which ( for me) makes life better.

Good luck pal.
Words of wisdom pal. I shall certainly try. I definitely want to keep fitter, I have a bloody gym in my garage that I dont make full use of! But I shall be in 2018. Get the food out of the way over the next week and I shall start again come 1/1/18 on the fitness bug. Thanks all.
GGG

You could have been a West Ham fan? [emoji23]

Currently sitting in a hospital with my soon to depart Dad. His dad gave Spurs to him and me and GHod willing it will pass to my kids.

Since a heart attack and other issues he was diagnosed with vascular dementia. Dementia caused by not enough blood taking oxygen to his brain. He only has old memories and he may not last the weekend truth be told.

One of the beautiful things about Spurs is it carries so much with it. You’re family history and even it’s future.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

I'm sorry to hear that. My thoughts are with you.

Words of wisdom pal. I shall certainly try. I definitely want to keep fitter, I have a bloody gym in my garage that I dont make full use of! But I shall be in 2018. Get the food out of the way over the next week and I shall start again come 1/1/18 on the fitness bug. Thanks all.
GGG

Hows it going? I saw your business issues and it made me think of this thread, are you holding up ok?

And have you dusted off that gym yet?!

Hows it going? I saw your business issues and it made me think of this thread, are you holding up ok?

Lifting weights really improves my mood. I think it's the simple thing of progressing on something, getting stronger is a simple thing to progress at and it's very satisfying. I recently built a shed in my back garden so I could get weights I had in storage (they were at my brothers, I gave them to him but he never used them). A power-rack, adjustable bench and 250kgs of olympic weights. You can't beat a home gym!

I go to the gym for weights, I dont have room at home, but I love it.

Not a body builder or anything like it, but thats not the point.

There is huge worth in setting out to achieve a goal, following a plan, and getting there. It might be "just weights" but it seeps into everything when you can adopt that mindset.

And, additionally, I just love the process. I check my brain at the door, all my worries and stresses stay there, and while Im in there I focus only on what Im doing, its brilliant.

Howdi mate, thanks for asking. Yes I’m good. I managed to sort the business issue this morning as I spoke to a senior manager calmly and politely. They saw sense in the end and said they’d get back to me. They emailed me half hour later and dropped the storage charges of £1,250 which is good. But they have overcharged by £800 on the actual charges, but nothing we can do about that, that’s just them being clamy in general.

Gymwise, I’ve been once in the new year. Been terrible but I shall start it tonight. I’ve got a punchbag, dumbbell bench, freeweights, chin up bar and a treadmill so no excuse really. I agree it does make me feel better but I just need to get in the zone and do it 3 to 4 times a week.

Alcohol wise, only had 4/5 pints this year on one night. Stuck with the peronis again and had a bastard of a headache the following day but been pretty good and mentally wise been feeling good thanks.

How about you? Good that you’re doing weights, again for me, no excuse!

Great news, Im glad things are going well.

And credit to you for dealing with a bricky situation, its the sort of thing that can spiral.

Im at a point with drink where its just not worth the hangover! Maybe if you lay off long enough you'll find similar.

Ive been rubbish with the gym. For about a month Ive barely been, so this year just trying to work my way back into it. Went twice last week, suffered.

Got in this morning, plan Wed and Fri as well - hopefully I can find the habit again.

Great start mate, keep it up.

Cheers mate. Before I would always look ahead to nights or for excuses to go out drinking but now I’m actually looking at the weekends to see what I can do and don’t think much about drink.

Also, whenever I do have a drink I feel like I’ve left myself down and don’t feel great about it after or the day after. Is that a good thing?

Cheers mate. Before I would always look ahead to nights or for excuses to go out drinking but now I’m actually looking at the weekends to see what I can do and don’t think much about drink.

Also, whenever I do have a drink I feel like I’ve left myself down and don’t feel great about it after or the day after. Is that a good thing?

I would say it is yes, it shows that you are disappointed about doing so and that you really want to quit. Having said that there is no need to beat yourself up about it, what you are trying to do is a big step and its not easy to do.

Everyone is different but one of the things i did when i resisted the urge to slip was to do something i liked as a treat. For me it was going for a run but i am sure there are many things it depends on the person.

Listen mate its not easy ( i used to be a big drinker and loved the company of others who were the same) but stick with it IF its something you really want to do.

And if you find that you have to have a drink and are struggling to resist the urge then you can always PM me if i am around.

Sounds positive to me, amazing how quickly habits can change, isnt it?

It was similar when I gave up smoking, smoked for 20 years - tried to give up countless times and it never worked. Then when I finally cracked it, it was just different. It simply wasnt on my mind so much and was rather easy to do. Been over 2 years now and Ive never even thought about it. I guess I was finally ready?

As to beating yourself up, Id agree with Parklane. Its probably indicating where your heads at, which sounds good, but by the same token dont beat yourself up on it.

Cheers @parklane1 @nayimfromthehalfwayline , it is getting easier to not binge drink or even have that drink I’d have after work in the pub. I can easily “miss” my first train at 5:08 and go to the pub for 2 before getting the 5:57 but I just always go for the 5:08 now regardless.

It also helps that my wife isn’t a big drinker either, she hardly drinks at all although that didn’t make much of a difference for me before my son was born, but I respect how she can go 3,4 months without even touching a drop. My son really has made me think it’s not worth it anymore as whenever I have been drunk and come home to him, I’ve been either too tinkled to hold him or it’s too late and he’s asleep anyway. The morning after is a right off with him too and spending those special moments with him is much better than missing.

It’s not to say I won’t ever have a beer again but I don’t feel I need to just yet, if that makes sense.

Have not posted in here for a while, hope everyone is okay.

I am doing ok, gone vegan when at home and will now only eat meat when we go out to eat or have the odd curry. Seems a few sportsmen have gone vegan with good results. I am using the disgraced British cycling mantra of small marginal gains to try and keep my physical health top notch, I believe the is a clear link between physical and mental health. Take ice baths a couple of times a week after long cycle rides and am trying to sleep better as well.

So far so good, I still get some dark moods and times when I feel a bit sorry for myself and that is when I start going over mistakes I made as a younger man, it is difficult when it is in your head to get away from bad thoughts. I do this thing where when I think about how my brother who I did not speak to for the last 10 years of his life or how I was not on talking terms with my mother when she died either, if i think these things usually late at night I get up and read a book until I am so tired I can not keep my eyes open.

I know people think should confront all our feelings all the time, but sometimes I think it is easier to just keep your mind occupied. I also have the guitar out the loft and am determined after 30 years owning it to play at least one fudging song.

Side note of interest is that I now wear nail vanish, am not a tranny not really. But I like looking down and seeing bright colours, it brightens my mood and makes me smile. I have just been let back into my local after a 6 month ban for arguing about the correct way to spell Tanya and also the origin or termassu and the red and purple alternating nails got some comments, but it seems accepted wisdom that I am a bit of a weirdo and no more has been said about it.

Do what makes you happy guys and avoid what makes you unhappy.

Have not posted in here for a while, hope everyone is okay.

I am doing ok, gone vegan when at home and will now only eat meat when we go out to eat or have the odd curry. Seems a few sportsmen have gone vegan with good results. I am using the disgraced British cycling mantra of small marginal gains to try and keep my physical health top notch, I believe the is a clear link between physical and mental health. Take ice baths a couple of times a week after long cycle rides and am trying to sleep better as well.

So far so good, I still get some dark moods and times when I feel a bit sorry for myself and that is when I start going over mistakes I made as a younger man, it is difficult when it is in your head to get away from bad thoughts. I do this thing where when I think about how my brother who I did not speak to for the last 10 years of his life or how I was not on talking terms with my mother when she died either, if i think these things usually late at night I get up and read a book until I am so tired I can not keep my eyes open.

I know people think should confront all our feelings all the time, but sometimes I think it is easier to just keep your mind occupied. I also have the guitar out the loft and am determined after 30 years owning it to play at least one fudging song.

Side note of interest is that I now wear nail vanish, am not a tranny not really. But I like looking down and seeing bright colours, it brightens my mood and makes me smile. I have just been let back into my local after a 6 month ban for arguing about the correct way to spell Tanya and also the origin or termassu and the red and purple alternating nails got some comments, but it seems accepted wisdom that I am a bit of a weirdo and no more has been said about it.

Do what makes you happy guys and avoid what makes you unhappy.
Vegan???

Weirdo.

Back