• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Do we have the right blend of players at Spurs right now to challenge for top 4?

In fact, I think I can remember him making similar passes against Reading too.

I think what we're all saying is Defoe is just a stop gap til Ade is fit and we bring in a top draw 20 goal a season striker to make the whole system work much more efficiently as we need a better target man. I think his movement has improved but the main problem i have with Defoe is that he's poor at holding the ball up and gets caught offside way too much to play the main striker role and he rarely scores against the top teams.

Again, i think it comes back to Levy though. He should have spent more time trying to secure us a top 20 goal season striker this summer rather than spending so long trying to sign Lloris when Brad is doing a decent job and that Lloris money could have gone on a striker.

If we're good enough to get top 4 is a difference question and perhaps more down to the quality of players, fact is that Chelsea have signed some very good (and very expensive) players this summer. It's difficult to stay ahead of a team that can just do that when we have a limited budget.

I don't think we can compete with Chelsea, I don't think we can compete with Man U or Man C either for that matter, three of the richest clubs in the world and unfortunately theyll always be able to buy their way out of trouble, so once again the Champions League fight is between us and the goons, one of these days we are going to have to finish above them, surely???

I think we have a stronger squad then last season, we were never going to be able to replace Modric like for like and we have to find a different system. From what i have seen so far i really think we are on the right path, the team play is getting better with every game and the players are begining to adjust to the system that AVB wants to play. Early days yet but i really do believe we will be in with a shout for a top four posistion again.

Don't think so, we have too many pace/power players and not enough craft and intelligence in the final third of the pitch.

I think, what's needed in the squad after Modric and VdV left is creativity and flair in the final third. As much as I like Lennon and Bale, they're both relying too much on their pace, rather than skills and flair. Against teams that defend with a deep defensive line, that often causes problems, as they don't have that space to run into. My main concern is therefore, that the team lacks a player that can beat a player one on one by pure dribbling skills, someone like Hazard.

Been pleasantly surprised to see Dembélé play the Modric role, although he plays it slightly different. If Moutinho was brought in, Dembélé could also play on the wing or behind a striker, but it does sound like a complicated deal. Therefore I think the top priority should be a player like Willian.

Haven't watch enough of Fulham to judge whether or not Dempsey can contribute with anything else besides goals. Sigurdsson however looks like a player that needs slowly introducing as he has looked out of his depth.

I know it won't happen but if Levy somehow could manage to bring in Moutinho, Willian and Llorente, then I think it would be possible to be challenging for the title.

I feel after selling Modric and VDV we don't really have the world class talent any more that is required for a CL place. Arsenal sold the one man in their one man team and now they have definitely improved with the likes of Santi Cazorla and Podolski.

Last season we certainly had the potential and ability to finish in the top 3, but we missed out :(

This season I can't see us getting in the top 4, that being said I'd be ok with 5th or 6th.

Overall though with the addition of Lloris, Dembele, Adebayor and Vertonghen we've again begun to build an excellent young squad when you consider what we have already. If we can just add some creativity in Midfield, some cover for Bale and Lennon and add another Striker in the same mould as Adebayor during the off season I think we'd have a fantastic squad to push for the top 4 next year.

top 4 would have been a tall order this season regardless of who was in charge what with losing King and Modric (both were almost unavoidable) and i also think that we have a better shot at getting back to that level having made the change of manager - it may not be this season but im confident going in to the next 2/3 years we will have a good crack at it.

i actually think our midfield is shaping up quite nicely - losing VdV and relying solely on Sigurdsson for the AM role is a bit of a set back but being thrown in at the deep end could do wonders for his development so maybe long term it ill benefit us/him.

This season I can't see us getting in the top 4, that being said I'd be ok with 5th or 6th.

Overall though with the addition of Lloris, Dembele, Adebayor and Vertonghen we've again begun to build an excellent young squad when you consider what we have already. If we can just add some creativity in Midfield, some cover for Bale and Lennon and add another Striker in the same mould as Adebayor during the off season I think we'd have a fantastic squad to push for the top 4 next year.

If we pick up points where we should and have the odd decent result against the other top 4 contenders we might be in with a shout. Compared to the other top 4 contenders I think we are slightly lacking. The Jan transfer window will decide our fate as it has for the last two seasons. We didn't consolidate our position in January with a quality player or two for the last two years and then fell away. Moutinho and Rossi (on the cheap) might be good enough to nick us a CL place.

Arsenal look a lot better than I thought they would after losing RVP. The addition of Carzola was a great transfer for them. He'd be fantastic in Siggy's position for us. Dark horses for 2nd I think.
City have so much attacking power that the only thing that can stop them winning the league is Mancini himself. 1st me thinks.
Utd just may be in for a poor season (by their standards). I haven't been convinced by them overly from what I've seen and Giggs and Scholes are running on fumes. 3rd or 4th maybe.
Chelsea has signed every attacking midfielder in the world so should be good for a few goals. They don't look like a team yet and Torres is still spluttering but they'll probably buy big in Jan to compensate for any shortcomings. 3rd I think. A change of manager might see them win it.

I just don't see us breaking into that group but I wouldn't mind too much if we only got 5th, considering the churn at the club this summer. I'd just like to see the beginning of something big.

top 4 would have been a tall order this season regardless of who was in charge what with losing King and Modric (both were almost unavoidable) and i also think that we have a better shot at getting back to that level having made the change of manager - it may not be this season but im confident going in to the next 2/3 years we will have a good crack at it.

i actually think our midfield is shaping up quite nicely - losing VdV and relying solely on Sigurdsson for the AM role is a bit of a set back but being thrown in at the deep end could do wonders for his development so maybe long term it ill benefit us/him.

Agree.

All great teams have a strong spine. We don't at the moment, and that's why top four for us this season is going to be a struggle. Lloris is a Premiership unknown quantity, the only centre back that we have who effectively attacks the ball can't get a game and will almost certainly be sold, we do have two excellent options for the defensive midfielder but we hardly any creativity in the centre of the park either in midfield or up top.

But Mourinho's Chelsea (which is clearly what AVB tries to base his teams on) didn't have much creativity or flair either in the centre of the park and still did well. So I guess it really does come down to whether Adebayor can be our Drogba and whether Sigurdsson can be our Lampard.

I'll stick my neck out and say we've got a solid bunch of players on paper yet a bunch of guys running around with no winning mentality in their hearts. We need to concentrate for 90 minutes every single match. Until we have this these topics will continue to appear.

I don't think anybody expected Bale to turn into a poor man's Stuart Downing this season :-#

All great teams have a strong spine. We don't at the moment, and that's why top four for us this season is going to be a struggle. Lloris is a Premiership unknown quantity, the only centre back that we have who effectively attacks the ball can't get a game and will almost certainly be sold, we do have two excellent options for the defensive midfielder but we hardly any creativity in the centre of the park either in midfield or up top.

But Mourinho's Chelsea (which is clearly what AVB tries to base his teams on) didn't have much creativity or flair either in the centre of the park and still did well. So I guess it really does come down to whether Adebayor can be our Drogba and whether Sigurdsson can be our Lampard.

No, and no.

But, Mourinho's team never had a player like Dembele in the middle of the park...

I think we're in for a rough ride this season. We need to cut our expectations.

If Parker stayed fit throughout the season, or if we'd have signed a classy midfield player, we would be closer. The reason we're putting out a strong team in the Europa? Because the cups are our best shot in this transition season.

Depends on how quickly our attacking signings settle and how quickly the squad adapt to AVB's tactics. Lloris, Vertonghan and Dembele looked like being excellent signings and the latter two have already settle into the team. so the keeper, back 4 and CMs look fine. Lennon and Bale are obviously settled though Bale not playing on the top of his game

However the problem at the moment is that we haven't found the right blend between the top man and the one playing just off him - the 4-2-3-1 formation doesnt work with Defoe up top and Siggy and Dempsey have not settled in yet and developed an understanding with the other players

I think we're in for a rough ride this season. We need to cut our expectations.

If Parker stayed fit throughout the season, or if we'd have signed a classy midfield player, we would be closer. The reason we're putting out a strong team in the Europa? Because the cups are our best shot in this transition season.

Don't really think it matters. A lot of people on GG are desperate to be shot of him and almost every Spurs fans I have spoken to rates Sandro above him. IMHO Parker, Huddlestone and Dawson will be out the door in the next 12 months. I wouldn't be shocked if they all were moved on in January.

Back