• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Do Asians know how to eat with fork and knife?

disc0

John Gorman
It might seem like a stupid question, but do they? I've no idea. I'm going to Malaysia in the spring, and realised I've never seen an Asian eating with a fork and knife. Only those GHod damn chopsticks (which I'm actually getting the hang of using).

It's a bit like asking if they know how to use plates - using a fork and a knife doesn't exactly demand a particularly difficult technique.

:lol:

when i was in Malaysia (funnily enough) for the first time about 6 years or so a go i asked myself the same question - especially when we was served our dinner in a restaurant with no cutlery - having a quick look around from our table we could see others eating with their hands so we just thought "when in Rome" and cracked on with it - a bit messy but not that much of a problem. . . just at the time of finishing the waitress rushes over, laughing (as well were a few of the customers) and pointed out the cutlery station on the other side of the room that we somehow missed - we also noticed at this point that it wasn't people eating with their hands that we saw but young children playing with their food and their parents were quite amused with seeing the stupid westerners stuffing sloppy curry in to mouth's with their hands.

where you going in Malaysia btw ?

Last edited:
Racist

Quite a few racist posts in Random at the moment

A worrying trend

Too right, I've been guilty a few times myself recently, it's only you slapping me back into line when required has stopped me turning into a big ole racist. (She did call me Wincent though).

Here's one that gets me. Am I the only one who thinks that eating Chinese food with chopsticks is an affectation? People I know shovel 99% or more of their food into their face with a spoon or fork and then when it comes to eating Chinese food grab a set of chopsticks to "maintain tradition", to my mind if they were that bothered with with maintaining tradition they wouldn't be eating Cash'n'carry beanshoots from a tin foil carton in Dunstable.

Seinfeld does a bit on this on his tv show. When I'm on a computer I'll see if I can YouTube it.

:lol:

when i was in Malaysia (funnily enough) for the first time about 6 years or so a go i asked myself the same question - especially when we was served our dinner in a restaurant with no cutlery - having a quick look around from our table we could see others eating with their hands so we just thought "when in Rome" and cracked on with it - a bit messy but not that much of a problem. . . just at the time of finishing the waitress rushes over, laughing (as well were a few of the customers) and pointed out the cutlery station on the other side of the room that we somehow missed - we also noticed at this point that it wasn't people eating with their hands that we saw but young children playing with their food and their parents were quite amused with seeing the stupid westerners stuffing sloppy curry in to mouth's with their hands.

where you going in Malaysia btw ?

Lol. Classic white man fail.

I'm going to Kuala Lumpur for a week. Then spend a couple of weeks in Malaysian Borneo. A friend of mine, whom I lived in Berlin with is teching English in village there. Working for an NGO or similar. Really looking forward to going there. Any tips/advice?

Here's one that gets me. Am I the only one who thinks that eating Chinese food with chopsticks is an affectation? People I know shovel 99% or more of their food into their face with a spoon or fork and then when it comes to eating Chinese food grab a set of chopsticks to "maintain tradition", to my mind if they were that bothered with with maintaining tradition they wouldn't be eating Cash'n'carry beanshoots from a tin foil carton in Dunstable.

Went to Yo Sushi tonight

I don't mind using chopsticks there, as it's all quite easy to pick up

Slightly concerned by the splinters that come off the chopsticks though

Back