• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Djed Spence

Sounds like absolute gonad*s to me. SURELY Spence has to start this game?!
Why does he? I’m a massive fan of his but I said previously people were making an assumption that he would play this game based on nothing other than the fact he hasn’t played(which kind of makes it weird that would make him a shoe in for this game). Doherty hasn’t played much and will probably get game time here. Yes this cup is the least important but Conte doesn’t strike me as someone who will just throw a cup opportunity away and wouldn’t surprise me if we field a slightly stronger side than expected (still with some obvious rotation).

Just wishful thinking that Spence would start, I don’t see him being perceived as ready for first team until next season….

Why does he? I’m a massive fan of his but I said previously people were making an assumption that he would play this game based on nothing other than the fact he hasn’t played(which kind of makes it weird that would make him a shoe in for this game). Doherty hasn’t played much and will probably get game time here. Yes this cup is the least important but Conte doesn’t strike me as someone who will just throw a cup opportunity away and wouldn’t surprise me if we field a slightly stronger side than expected (still with some obvious rotation).

Just wishful thinking that Spence would start, I don’t see him being perceived as ready for first team until next season….
Fair point about Doherty needing a bit of game time.

If Spence was an older player, I'd have no issue with him being frozen out. But he's a very promising youngster who's seemingly being left to rot on the bench. Sure, if he's been terrible at training he doesn't deserve a starting spot, but we're not exactly blessed with alternatives at RWB so we need someone who can do a job -- what if Doherty picks up another injury and then Royal picks up a knock? Even just for the lad's morale, he should get a chance.

Do any of the ‘Spence must play’ folk have any inside knowledge of what is happening at the club? Any sense of how Spence feels about his situation? That would be great information to have when discussing how and when he should play.

Do any of the ‘Spence must play’ folk have any inside knowledge of what is happening at the club? Any sense of how Spence feels about his situation? That would be great information to have when discussing how and when he should play.

Do not be silly.;)

Fair point about Doherty needing a bit of game time.

If Spence was an older player, I'd have no issue with him being frozen out. But he's a very promising youngster who's seemingly being left to rot on the bench. Sure, if he's been terrible at training he doesn't deserve a starting spot, but we're not exactly blessed with alternatives at RWB so we need someone who can do a job -- what if Doherty picks up another injury and then Royal picks up a knock? Even just for the lad's morale, he should get a chance.

What happened to Bale and Walker after they signed, despite being standout championship players? Neither became a first team player for about 2 years.

Who knows, but I've noticed Spence come on the pitch and celebrate with the lads a couple of times when we have scored/won so he looks happy enough to be part of the group - I think that is comforting enough for now at least....

What happened to Bale and Walker after they signed, despite being standout championship players? Neither became a first team player for about 2 years.
Bale was mega young and started straight away
By Spence’s age he had okayed well over 100 games for us
Walker was signed as a prospect not a ready to go player

Sorry, but you're wrong about Bale -- he signed in summer 2007 and made his debut against ManU in August, so basically immediately. He played a bunch of games that season.

I'll give you Walker not becoming a regular for a while, but he spent a couple of years on loan so it's not the same. Signed in summer 2009, immediately loaned back to Sheffield Utd, recalled in January, made a couple of appearances, then shipped off to QPR followed by Villa.

I know not everyone will agree with me but I would play as many prospects for EFL games as possible. This season is simply too cramped to actually contest this competition without spreading ourselves too thin. Obviously, first-teamers who need match fitness should start like Gil, even Skipp... they can try their best and I'll be happy for them if they win but I won't be upset if they lose, would be a good thing in the long run for this season.

But it's nonsense about Championship players needing time. Dele didn't need time. You wonder if he would have ever played if Conte had been in charge?

Different type of manager though. Poch used the Alli and Dier type signings the club were making for (irrespective of) him, whereas Ramos (re Bale) and Redknapp (re Walker) were more 'ready made only' coaches like Conte is.

But it's nonsense about Championship players needing time. Dele didn't need time. You wonder if he would have ever played if Conte had been in charge?

With Dele though we had a manager who did, at the time, field younger players (e.g. Mason, Bentaleb) We had a young team overall and expectations were lower. Plus Dele was an exceptional talent. Fast forward a few years and Poch wasn't so interested in the young and less experienced (see KWP) and only wanted players who would improve the team. So who knows how Dele would have fared under Conte - possibly wouldn't have made it. Sliding doors.
I'd hope to see Spence on the bench tomorrow and come on to replace Doherty later on in the game.

Back