• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Director of football-any blame?

AVB says he did not want 4 of the players we signed and told levy not to sign them.

Whether you consider levy the director of football at the time or if it was after Baldini arrived to me it says the same thing, the guy buying the players has to be the one who picks the team. Certain constraints as to how much he can spend on wages and how big a transfer fee is in relation to players age etc.

Bottom line i do not believe in the director of football with levy as our chairman.

AVB says he did not want 4 of the players we signed and told levy not to sign them.

Whether you consider levy the director of football at the time or if it was after Baldini arrived to me it says the same thing, the guy buying the players has to be the one who picks the team. Certain constraints as to how much he can spend on wages and how big a transfer fee is in relation to players age etc.

Bottom line i do not believe in the director of football with levy as our chairman.

Sauce? Or are we blindly trusting the daily mail and the "copy-paste, provocative headline" media?

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/9079743/premier-league-tottenham-coach-les-ferdinand-reveals-andre-villas-boas-sanctioned-transfers

"Most of the signings were perhaps suggestions to him, but he agreed to those suggestions," Ferdinand told US podcast Beyond the Pitch.

"The bottom line is he agreed to all of those signings. It wasn't a case that the players were brought in and he was told 'You have to make a team of these players', because if you're a manager and that happens, you're destined for the sack.

"From speaking to AVB, I understand he was happy that the players came to the club."

Will it could be the case that avb is saying this now to cover his back and i have no love for the guy. But as long as we have this system it will always be the case as otherwise why would you need it? why not just have scouts like wenger or ferguson etc.

But its AVB's job as a modern manager to deal with what he's been given.
What manager's in the world get full control of their transfers these days? Wenger and who else?

I mean he played the players he asked for Paulinho,Soldado Capoue and they got him the sack.
Chadli, Lamela, Eriksen and Chriches weren't to blame for AVB's 5-0 loss against Liverpool or 6-0 to City.

Last edited:
I don't like the DOF setup, I just don't. Too much diconnect between manager - dof - chairman, doesn't work for me. That said, even if the players signed weren't AVB's choices, there's still no excuse for what we saw on Sunday. Liverpool looked like a supremely coached team whereas we looked like a bunch of dopes who'd turned up for a kickabout. Lierpool do not have a vastly(or at all) better squad of footballers than we do on, they just had a better teacher.

BcClhwICIAA0-hK.jpg:large

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...following-departure-of-Andre-Villas-Boas.html

Tottenham Hotspur rejected Franco Baldini's offer of resignation following departure of Andre Villas-Boas

Franco Baldini, Tottenham Hotspur’s technical director, offered to resign on the same day that Andre Villas-Boas was sacked as the club’s head coach.

The offer was immediately rejected by Spurs chairman Daniel Levy, who has tasked Baldini with hiring Villas-Boas’s replacement from a shortlist of candidates the Italian was asked to draw up this month.

However, there remains the strong possibility that Tim Sherwood, Spurs’ interim head coach, will be given an extended run of games in charge beyond the busy Christmas period which starts today with the trip to Southampton.

Sherwood, 44, has no managerial experience but has asked to be considered for the role on a full-time basis and if he does well could be given until the end of the season to prove himself. The former midfielder is highly regarded by Levy.

Baldini’s shortlist is believed to include the Basle coach Murat Yakin. The former Swiss defender would also have to learn English if he is considered.

Possible candidates for the role also include former Chelsea manager Roberto Di Matteo along with former Emirates Marketing Project manager Roberto Mancini, now in charge of Galatasaray.

Baldini’s offer to resign comes just six months after the former England general manager was appointed as technical director, on Villas-Boas’s initial recommendation, and given the job of overseeing Spurs’ transfer business.

In a frantic summer of activity Spurs sold Gareth Bale to Real Madrid for £85  million, selling three other players including Scott Parker, and brought in seven players for £107 million.

So far the Spurs team have struggled to gel, which contributed to Villas-Boas’s departure, although it is understood the key factor was not results but the disintegration of his already strained relationship with Levy.

After his brief time at Chelsea and now Spurs the 36-year-old Villas-Boas does not want to work in England again and will eventually look for a job overseas with offers expected from Portugal, Spain, Italy and Brazil.

It is also understood that Villas-Boas did not receive a lump-sum pay-off after agreeing to leave last Monday and is being paid his salary on a monthly basis by Tottenham.

One result of his sacking is a slight thaw in his relationship with Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho, who spoke to him after he left White Hart Lane.

“We spoke a couple of days ago,” Mourinho said. “I didn’t speak about the case. I just said, ‘Come on, the world didn’t finish, let’s go, tomorrow is another day and another job will come, so, Happy Christmas.’ ”

Tbh with all the criticism in the media over the dof setup. this might just be a PR exercise by the Club showing that Baldini isnt all bad.

with the DOF set up the coach is always the one at risk
the DOF will always be closer to the Chairman and his inner ring of financiers and armchair football cronies

Also the story comes with this marvelous photo. It looks like Baldini showing Tim how to use his new smartphone.

Franco-Baldini_2773040b.jpg

With the Jan window in sight, you've got to wonder if our planned transfers had something to do with all this.

Back