• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Director of football-any blame?

Danishfurniturelover

the prettiest spice girl
We have a new director of football again and again the club is a difficult place. Does it really work? some rumours saying avb did not get the players he wanted.

Not a huge fan of avb think he is to cautious for us. So is this the problem with the director of football that the coach never gets the players he wants or is it like when we had that french guy for a bit before jol became manager. Does Baldini have his desired coach lined up or is our current situation due to the director of football.

You have a point that he has not been in the job long but it is funny how whenever we have the director of football playing results suffer.

Dunno about blaming Baldini specifically, but I don't like the DoF structure as you will inevitably get situations arise when a manager doesn't get the player he wants. The DoF has to work for the manager. It's Levy thing though so you're always going to get his staunch supporters in favour of the system.

:lol:

or perhaps they are actually just in favor of the DoF structure for it's merits

Perhaps, maybe I just have a different opinion, Maybe we'll never agree on anything hey :p

Really don't want to get into another arguement, but I do feel Levy is teflon in some Spurs fans eyes, not just here on this forum btw.

Well yes, if at the end of the season we are in a situation in which we believe we have under performed then the DOF should take some of the blame, as he was part of the 'player buying' process.

Currently? We're four points from second place. Ask me how i think we're doing in about seven games time.

Well yes, if at the end of the season we are in a situation in which we believe we have under performed then the DOF should take some of the blame, as he was part of the 'player buying' process.

Currently? We're four points from second place. Ask me how i think we're doing in about seven games time.

Do you know what mate, this isn't aimed at you in particular so don't take it personally because loads of people do it but I do wish people would stop focusing so much on points rather than the position in the league. We're 9th at the moment and it could get even worse by next weekend. I'm not going to be throwing any parties if we finish 7th this season but only miss out on 4th by 6 points.

Perhaps, maybe I just have a different opinion, Maybe we'll never agree on anything hey :p

Really don't want to get into another arguement, but I do feel Levy is teflon in some Spurs fans eyes, not just here on this forum btw.

well that's a different debate entirely.

im sure there are those in favor of the DoF structure that aren't fans of Levy and the vice versa - not everything is agenda driven you know ;)

edit: and at this stage of the season points are much more relevant than league position - league positions means nothing really until the new year when little groups start to divide up the table and the end is in sight

Do you know what mate, this isn't aimed at you in particular so don't take it personally because loads of people do it but I do wish people would stop focusing so much on points rather than the position in the league. We're 9th at the moment and it could get even worse by next weekend. I'm not going to be throwing any parties if we finish 7th this season but only miss out on 4th by 6 points.

Points determine the position in the league. It's a classic start to the league where the top teams are tightly bunched (Bar arsenal).

It'll become more stretched as the season goes on, currently we're still close to where we want to be in the league. One win away from the CL positions. One measly win. If we were fifth and ten points off fourth i would be far more upset, despite being in your eyes closer to where we want to be.

Well yes, it could get worse next weekend, but it could also get better. I wouldn't be throwing any parties if the season was over and we were outside the top four, but it's massively far from over. It's like being two seconds behind the leader halfway through a 5k run, in that in the scheme of things it's not that great a gap and it can be overcome before they hand out the medals.

Last edited:
Dunno about blaming Baldini specifically, but I don't like the DoF structure as you will inevitably get situations arise when a manager doesn't get the player he wants. The DoF has to work for the manager. It's Levy thing though so you're always going to get his staunch supporters in favour of the system.

The manager could be working without a DoF and still not get the player he wants though.

I think there's a misconception about the DoF system that Baldini just floats about willy nilly sigining players then handing them to AVB to deal with. They will have a system, yes, maybe we miss out on our top target, but they will have agreed a list for contingency. I don't think AVB is ever going to find himself in a position where we have signed a player that he a) doesn't want or b) wasn't aware that we were signing.

Personally, I'm not really a fan of the system, but mainly because it's a bit of an easy cop out for the manager. When things aren't going well fans and papers start to say that the manager hasn't been given the players he wanted (as is already evident from this thread), whenever the blame falls soley on the managers door step.

I actually wish for the opposite. Our position does not matter one iota until we've played 38 games. It's how many points we're ahead/behind we have to look at. We have 4 points to make up on 2nd place. Losing to United will be bad as the gap will increase. Whether we're 9th or 12th? Does not matter.

Jol never really benefitted from Comolli, but Redknapp certainly did (especially in the form of Modric and Bale, but also BAE, Kaboul etc).

A DoF's focus is pretty much by definition 3-5 years in the future.

The manager could be working without a DoF and still not get the player he wants though.

I think there's a misconception about the DoF system that Baldini just floats about willy nilly sigining players then handing them to AVB to deal with. They will have a system, yes, maybe we miss out on our top target, but they will have agreed a list for contingency. I don't think AVB is ever going to find himself in a position where we have signed a player that he a) doesn't want or b) wasn't aware that we were signing.

Personally, I'm not really a fan of the system, but mainly because it's a bit of an easy cop out for the manager. When things aren't going well fans and papers start to say that the manager hasn't been given the players he wanted (as is already evident from this thread), whenever the blame falls soley on the managers door step.

The system is good though if the club has a clear philosophy. It seems we've adopted a more skill based approach with our youth teams, as opposed to the traditional English fascination with those that develop earlier physically. Long term the aim will be to have a senior squad of 22 players, 2 for each position, and as long as they're comfortable on the ball and can play a passing game we won't have to buy a new squad every time a coach leaves. The new guy will be told to work with what he has. Any glaring deficiencies can of course be addressed. For one head coach/manager to keep a team performing at a certain level for several seasons usually requires huge turnover on players. Sometimes it's easier to wipe the slate clean by sacking him, other times you can do it with a few squad adjustments.

I think he threatened to go to Monaco if he didn't get one.

Exactly. AVB requested it and publicly stated he was delighted that we got Baldini.

I'm undecided on the issue of a Director of Football as I think it can work very well, but can work very badly. Arnesen was certainly fantastic for us. Comolli wasn't so great and signed a lot of crap whilst he was here (of which Bentley is a prime example) but at the same time Comolli did manage to get us a few great players such as Bale and Modric.

As for Baldini I personally have faith in him and don't think that our signings are the problem we have at all. I think we have probably good to many players at once though and it's difficult to integrate a almost whole new team at once. Just look at QPR.

I did expect us not to be fully integrated and outstanding right now, but at the same time I am concerned that we aren't at least starting to score 2 goals every now and then and starting to look like were gelling. Instead we seem to have gone backwards if anything.

Which leaves two possiblitys in my opinion, either AVB's tactics aren't right or the integration period is going to take a lot longer than I thought it would.

I'm sure Baldini is the right man for the job though, he's signed some fantatsic players down the years for Roma and has earnt himself a huge ammount of respect in world football which means that if AVB does get the sack Baldini will probably be able to recruit some big name manager. The only worry is it's usually continental managers who are willing to work under a DoF so we might get another Ramos!

AVB wanted the system right? So far as not getting the players he wanted. Well Moutinho was out of our hands when Monaco showed up and tbh i can't name any others that were his preferred choice

Back