• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Dele Alli

Again, IMO people need to stop viewing Dele through a 2017 lens. This is a different team. This is a different player who is still bringing strings from that bow and adding them to new ones he's playing.

He is making some brilliant runs forward as yet unspotted. Despite that he still made two runs where he was spotted and should've ended up with two goals. Bergy's pass was just behind him.

You are watching a totally new and more complete Dele getting stronger and stronger. As long as he avoids injuries, I think he'll score at least 9 goals by Xmas. Happy to be held to that.

Again, IMO people need to stop viewing Dele through a 2017 lens. This is a different team. This is a different player who is still bringing strings from that bow and adding them to new ones he's playing.

He is making some brilliant runs forward as yet unspotted. Despite that he still made two runs where he was spotted and should've ended up with two goals. Bergy's pass was just behind him.

You are watching a totally new and more complete Dele getting stronger and stronger. As long as he avoids injuries, I think he'll score at least 9 goals by Xmas. Happy to be held to that.

Let's see, his application cannot be questioned, and his output (like the team) is hard to be judged with the balance issues (no striker & CM)

I do worry about him becoming just a workhorse, no point to me for that.

A box to box role in a midfield three might be the making for him as the free roaming #10 role he once thrived in is rare to find in football and I don't think he'll get it anywhere at any big team at this point at least.

I think we may need a more balanced midfield to really make it work. Him, Hojbjerg and Skipp right now look too light in key areas of what you want and need from midfield.

Perhaps Skipp and Hojbjerg can step up in that regard, perhaps Romero or some other centre back that isn't Dier or Sanchez can provide some of it. But the current setup leaves a bit too much to be desired of what I don't think Alli will bring anytime soon.

I get the point Steff that Dele won’t be the same player as he was in 2018. He’s been asked to play a different role and he has to evolve because, at his best, his brilliance only shone through in a certain role in Poch’s system.

But if he goes through the season playing like yesterday or last week, he won’t get picked for England again. He won’t be near as good as a lot of midfielders for the top clubs. Dele still has a distance to go. He’s made a great start but people are getting carried away.

I'm with @thfcsteff here if Dele can keep this up over a season he is going to be in double figures. He is putting in a defence shift yet still making those runs into the box which will lead to goals. Having a player that can contribute in both areas due to outstanding work rate is an unbelievable asset to have.

Our problem though is the fact that none of the three midfielders (or the wingers) are true playmakers. We need a deep lying Brozovic or Paredes to make the system work. Seems the kid Sarr may be such a player but he is not realistically going to be an option for a couple of seasons yet...

I get the point Steff that Dele won’t be the same player as he was in 2018. He’s been asked to play a different role and he has to evolve because, at his best, his brilliance only shone through in a certain role in Poch’s system.

But if he goes through the season playing like yesterday or last week, he won’t get picked for England again. He won’t be near as good as a lot of midfielders for the top clubs. Dele still has a distance to go. He’s made a great start but people are getting carried away.

I will be delighted if he never gets picked for England again.
In fact i'd be over the moon if none of our players were never picked again for international games.

I think the first sentence is key
I said it to may mates earlier.., he is playing now the wilnaldum role at pool. It’s a different role
But I do think we need to get a better balance in midfield overall
I think having a striker in front of them yesterday may have helped. The ball stuck with wolves attackers. It didn’t with ours

In fact i'd be over the moon if none of our players were never picked again for international games.

I wouldn’t. I can understand that you prefer for players to be kept fresh and injury free for us. But, can you imagine the players mindset if they knew that they wouldn’t get international recognition playing for us? Kane wants to leave as we don’t win trophies, imagine how many more would if they were no longer being called up for their country because of playing for us.
I think we have to be happy with players being called up as it generally reflects that the player has been playing well. I just wish international friendlies and pointless qualifiers were binned.

I wouldn’t. I can understand that you prefer for players to be kept fresh and injury free for us. But, can you imagine the players mindset if they knew that they wouldn’t get international recognition playing for us? Kane wants to leave as we don’t win trophies, imagine how many more would if they were no longer being called up for their country because of playing for us.
I think we have to be happy with players being called up as it generally reflects that the player has been playing well. I just wish international friendlies and pointless qualifiers were binned.

Never going to happen obviously, but when you watch the way our players are run into the ground (Especially for England) in meaningless games while others are "injured" it makes my blood boil.

There was a lot of talk when he first got into the team at MK Dons that he was likely to go on to become a Steven Gerrard type box to box number 8. He has the athleticism, the skill, the awareness, the vision and the finishing ability to do this.

Out MotM yesterday IMO (just ahead of Bergwijn).

There was a lot of talk when he first got into the team at MK Dons that he was likely to go on to become a Steven Gerrard type box to box number 8. He has the athleticism, the skill, the awareness, the vision and the finishing ability to do this.

Out MotM yesterday IMO (just ahead of Bergwijn).
He played that’s role at MK when I saw him play there
He was very much an 8
It was why I was w
Stunned when we played him where we did and how quickly he settled into that role

I'd agree with that but if he's not getting picked for England it's because there are a bunch of players playing better than him. And if a lad like Phillips for Leeds or some of those other fellas are being picked ahead of Alli then he's not performing at a level of a top 4 player. He has the potential, he's showing the work ethic and he's taking responsibility for his recent difficulties. Hopefully the latter 2 can start driving him towards delivering on his potential.

He was a lot better yesterday for sure but i do agree i can not see him getting back into the England set up just yet ( if at all). As you say he is putting in more application then he has for a while ( and depite what some have said it was not just under Jose where he was poor it happened at the end of the Poch era as well). Lets hope he can keep it up but as i have said before i do not really see how he fits especially if we bring in another M/F player.

I'd agree with that but if he's not getting picked for England it's because there are a bunch of players playing better than him. And if a lad like Phillips for Leeds or some of those other fellas are being picked ahead of Alli then he's not performing at a level of a top 4 player. He has the potential, he's showing the work ethic and he's taking responsibility for his recent difficulties. Hopefully the latter 2 can start driving him towards delivering on his potential.
Kalvin Phillips is another number 10 who was converted into a deeper midfielder by Bielsa. KP is a much better long range passer of the ball than Dele but Dele far more skilful.

I'm not sure what his role with us will be, other thsn and kane (if hes still here) everyone further forward than peh is still playing for a role.
Until the window closes and we have a settled first 15 or so i'm willing to go along with it on a game to game basis.
I still think harry will be gone, we will bring in a cm, an am and right back. A cf is a possibility as well.

Our problem though is the fact that none of the three midfielders (or the wingers) are true playmakers. We need a deep lying Brozovic or Paredes to make the system work. Seems the kid Sarr may be such a player but he is not realistically going to be an option for a couple of seasons yet...
I agree. I'm guessing Nuno is going somewhat safety first with Skipp and Hojbjerg, of course City and a fairly tough away game as well as Lo Celso coming back from the Copa and whatever the Ndombele situation is probably factors as well.

If we're progressing with a narrow 4-3-3 we need a lot of hard work from all those central three players. Hard to find a playmaker (or whatever) that can also do the required defensive work. But that's what we really need.

I agree. I'm guessing Nuno is going somewhat safety first with Skipp and Hojbjerg, of course City and a fairly tough away game as well as Lo Celso coming back from the Copa and whatever the Ndombele situation is probably factors as well.

If we're progressing with a narrow 4-3-3 we need a lot of hard work from all those central three players. Hard to find a playmaker (or whatever) that can also do the required defensive work. But that's what we really need.

I don't think we keep the 4-3-3

Kane comes in the side, looks like (even with incoming rumours) we want two wingers

4-4-2?

I love the national side but never see it as a binary reflection of who our best players are. I learnt this during the Hoddle era the hard way.

He was a lot better yesterday for sure but i do agree i can not see him getting back into the England set up just yet ( if at all). As you say he is putting in more application then he has for a while ( and depite what some have said it was not just under Jose where he was poor it happened at the end of the Poch era as well). Lets hope he can keep it up but as i have said before i do not really see how he fits especially if we bring in another M/F player.

I think the truth is that as long as he keeps up what he is doing, he fits. Again, he is getting into the box too.

Back