• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Danny Rose

He hasn't proved himself yet as there's a long way to go this season.

As I've said, I'm happy to see Rose doing well but being called in to the England squad really isn't an indicator of much these days, I hope you get the smugness you deserve but it's not earnt yet!

Getting called up for England these days is a bit like Tim Sherwood randomly ruling himself out of being your manager - it kind of happens to everyone and is no big deal.

I think I might have got a call up from Hodgson when Phil Jones bust his shoulder, but I didn't have enough credit to return his call.

The good ones don't often get beaten by the likes of Downing.

Maybe. But I said Rose is still developing. Also can you name me your top three Left backs in the Premier league. I will watch them versus Downing to make sure they never get beaten by him.

All Im saying is that we should be a little proud that we are producing players that are at least getting up to England level consideration. You can deride England all you want and I do too, but they are still a Top 10-20 nation.

Maybe. But I said Rose is still developing. Also can you name me your top three Left backs in the Premier league. I will watch them versus Downing to make sure they never get beaten by him.

All Im saying is that we should be a little proud that we are producing players that are at least getting up to England level consideration. You can deride England all you want and I do too, but they are still a Top 10-20 nation.

Top 32 (I think Cameroon were the only team worse than us at the WC), and only that because the qualifying system is setup to the disadvantage of African and Asian countries.

He still needs to prove to me that he's not sh*t. He's got a way to go yet. Can see the venom returning when Sterling destroys him on Sunday

Not sure we an really claim Rose as home-produced. We bought him from Leeds aged 17. Bale was just one year older when he arrived from Southampton but the universal view is that it was Southampton who 'produced' him rather than us.

I can't stand the bloke but today I am going to take a day off and say Congratulations for his call up.

I would love to think that he takes as much positives from the experience as he can

I'm less than convinced by him BUT as with all players am happy to be proved wrong. Long term i still see Davies becoming 1st choice fullback. If Rose continues to develop into a good fullback option and we can rotate the 2 long term fantastic, there will be no complaints from me.

Not sure we an really claim Rose as home-produced. We bought him from Leeds aged 17. Bale was just one year older when he arrived from Southampton but the universal view is that it was Southampton who 'produced' him rather than us.

I see your point and its a contentious one for me. Bale joined as a left back and then was sold as a Attacking midfielder. So a lot of his growing up came at spurs. In reverse for Rose as he was a left winger who we have converted to a full back. So I do feel we have had a hand in "producing" them even though we bought them from other clubs at young ages.

Zabaleta, Baines and Azpilapilapilachetabanetta (the Chelsea one).

Working a yard and crossing the ball past a full back doesn't count as beating in my book.
If you're up against a player that's a bit below average at crossing and terrible at dribbling then letting him cross is getting beat.

i thought downing is a pretty decent player, not top 3 in his position but definitely above average. and that means better than most.
We rate Downing very, very differently.

I rate Downing somewhere around the level of a 6 year old girl.

The good ones don't often get beaten by the likes of Downing.

A matter of frequencies, not absolutes.

I thought Rose did alright against West Ham, nothing more. Wasn't tested defensively against QPR and did really well when attacking. He will be up against a lot better than Downing and will have to improve on his performances from last season if he wants to keep his place. I obviously hope he does.

i thought downing is a pretty decent player, not top 3 in his position but definitely above average. and that means better than most.

Pretty big gulf in quality between "not top 3 in his position, but definitely above average". Whoever the top 3 wingers/wide right sided players in the Premier League are they're a lot better than Downing and there are quite a few players in between them and Downing in quality.

The point remains that to be a good enough full back to be a regular starter for us I think Rose has to do better than he did last season. Even arguing that he did alright against Downing he still has to do better than that to keep his place (imo).

Back