• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Daniel Levy - Chairman

I think that's a slight misconception, Fergies team had a good blend of youth but they still bought all the top players, from the early days such as Cantona through to obviously our very own Carrick and Berbatov. I don't think any team personally can rely solely on youth but if you get 3 or 4 players from the academy with the ability to play in the first team then you have done very well.

They had a huge base of youth and added one ore two class players per year where needed. They did bring in youth and they didn not replace big players with big players in batches of 5.

This sustainability debate got me thinking at the weekend. Our new stadium is often lauded as being a big step forward for Spurs in terms of what we have to play with wages and transfer spend wise.

Going from a 36,000 to 61,000 seater (25,000 additional seats) will only bring in about 25m a year depending on the length of cup runs. 25m a year is not a lot in the modern game as Sissoko showed. Hernandez for example at Spammers will collect a third of that on his wages alone, each year.

I know with the NFL, crane sales and concerts we will bring in additional revenue but I don't see those elements being game changers.

Essentially I believe the Levy's comments centred around us as a club not being in the loss making business which City, PSG, Real etc most certainly are. There is no way those clubs are bothered about making the books balance. We are and that is a fact which I'm fine with accepting.

This sustainability debate got me thinking at the weekend. Our new stadium is often lauded as being a big step forward for Spurs in terms of what we have to play with wages and transfer spend wise.

Going from a 36,000 to 61,000 seater (25,000 additional seats) will only bring in about 25m a year depending on the length of cup runs. 25m a year is not a lot in the modern game as Sissoko showed. Hernandez for example at Spammers will collect a third of that on his wages alone, each year.

I know with the NFL, crane sales and concerts we will bring in additional revenue but I don't see those elements being game changers.

Essentially I believe the Levy's comments centred around us as a club not being in the loss making business which City, PSG, Real etc most certainly are. There is no way those clubs are bothered about making the books balance. We are and that is a fact which I'm fine with accepting.

How are you getting to the £25m extra?

Don't forget our corporate revenue at the new stadium and sponsorship in the stadium will be significantly higher

How are you getting to the £25m extra?

Don't forget our corporate revenue at the new stadium and sponsorship in the stadium will be significantly higher

Very simplistic calculation of 25,000 multiplied by 50 quid average ticket price = 1,250,000 per game. Assuming 19 league games a season = approx 25m

Granted there's FA Cup, league cup and Europe (if appropriate) but the figures aren't exactly gob-smacking.

Very simplistic calculation of 25,000 multiplied by 50 quid average ticket price = 1,250,000 per game. Assuming 19 league games a season = approx 25m

Granted there's FA Cup, league cup and Europe (if appropriate) but the figures aren't exactly gob-smacking.
No idea how much but a percentage of that extra income will also have to go on increased costs: business rates, policing, stewards, ticketing, etc etc.

However, long term there will also be profits from lettings of high rise blocks.

Standard seats are nothing but a tinkling contest in modern football. They're not really relevant to earnings.

The difference is in corporate seating - currently we have very little but are moving to a stadium designed around fitting lots more corporate seats in

Standard seats are nothing but a tinkling contest in modern football. They're not really relevant to earnings.

The difference is in corporate seating - currently we have very little but are moving to a stadium designed around fitting lots more corporate seats in

Exactly
Our corporate revenue will be double what it was previously as a minimum sndvtheur all sold on a medium term basis

Arsenal is £100m plus at the moment on match day revenue and we get £40m

I think that's a slight misconception, Fergies team had a good blend of youth but they still bought all the top players, from the early days such as Cantona through to obviously our very own Carrick and Berbatov. I don't think any team personally can rely solely on youth but if you get 3 or 4 players from the academy with the ability to play in the first team then you have done very well.
I don't think anyone is saying that we should rely solely on youth.

Our record under Levy and under Pochettino doesn't indicate that either.

I like the fact that we aim to blood in academy players if their are scraps left in the market. Why are there scraps in the market? Its because we can't afford to pay over the odds to compete with some "football" models.

However if that's the case can someone reasonably tell me why we don't go out and buy say lemar (could be any top player that would improve us) at £45 mil and lump £5 mil in bonus etc to get him?

I understsnd a delay in transfers to allow them circus acts to fight over their top premium targets.

According to the press we have a net profit of around £68 mil this summer from transfers alone. So lemar type would not be out of the question?

Those that state that the stadium etc needs funding levy has clearly stated that the transfer budget is not affected by the cost of the build.

You only have to look at the tv money that teams are blowing away so let's assume that we are not poor bundling in the champions league stash.

So this is not a levy love in or bashing question more of a help me see the light type. But if we are aiming to win things and be competitive surely reinvesting in the team to improve it should be paramount. Especially staying within our means.

The prices of players have gone to rediculous levels but when will that end? Probably not anytime soon until a giant goes bust... but again won't happen as their are plenty rich that need new toys.

We'll sign some players... there's a month left of the transfer market.

Perhaps a Lemar style, fairly big money, like Sissoko last season, will be seen as the best option. Perhaps a lower profile, less money, Wanyama type signing will be seen as the best option. But I'm confident we'll sign some players. Not sure what more you want to be "reasonably told".

If it's seeing big money being spent you're after, I would question exactly why that is. But if previous examples are to be believed Levy is very happy to funnel player sales into player signings. So at the very least the option is there.

Not quite sure what you're saying about bonuses. If you're saying that we could "bypass" our wage structure by giving new signings big bonuses I don't think that's the way to go.

Bingo.

Exactly and with the price of some of those corporate seats (tunnel bar) etc.... I think we could see ourselves overtake Arsenal in terms of corporate revenue. With us being a preferred venue for the NFL, do not underestimate just how many American companies will want to take up our space.

But I do agree with the original point, it is not going to lead to some changing of strategy in terms of how much more we spend relative to other clubs. It will just mean that we will be able to make a marquee signing and improve our wage structure to more effectively compete with some of the bigger clubs. The model we have currently does not need a complete change, it just needs a bit more horsepower behind it.

Exactly and with the price of some of those corporate seats (tunnel bar) etc.... I think we could see ourselves overtake Arsenal in terms of corporate revenue. With us being a preferred venue for the NFL, do not underestimate just how many American companies will want to take up our space.

But I do agree with the original point, it is not going to lead to some changing of strategy in terms of how much more we spend relative to other clubs. It will just mean that we will be able to make a marquee signing and improve our wage structure to more effectively compete with some of the bigger clubs. The model we have currently does not need a complete change, it just needs a bit more horsepower behind it.

That horsepower will be the stadium. The premium seats are expensive but will fill out if not already gone.

Thee world is changing and the corporate world has always played a big part in football its just on roids now.

Im not rich but pushed the boat out to get tickets and i have no regrets about it at all even punch myself at times.

I can't believe that I have read something along the lines of "I know we will sell more seats, more hospitality, have the NFL and concerts, but I don't know where the extra money is going to come from"

Hahahah

Our corporate hospitality offering is third world compared to the rest of the league and also believe it or not, as someone that knows from hospitality background, you spend more money providing services in a run down operation as you have to shell out so much in third party payments where a new stadium means we will be all under one roof. What I mean is the facilities being poor means we pay a brick load in outsourcing for alot of things, this will all come inhouse or be negotiated in one contract with the catering company.

I can't believe that I have read something along the lines of "I know we will sell more seats, more hospitality, have the NFL and concerts, but I don't know where the extra money is going to come from"

Hahahah

Our corporate hospitality offering is third world compared to the rest of the league and also believe it or not, as someone that knows from hospitality background, you spend more money providing services in a run down operation as you have to shell out so much in third party payments where a new stadium means we will be all under one roof. What I mean is the facilities being poor means we pay a brick load in outsourcing for alot of things, this will all come inhouse or be negotiated in one contract with the catering company.

We'll even get more tv money in facility fees as the production teams can use our infrastructure instead of temporary setups for each game.

That horsepower will be the stadium. The premium seats are expensive but will fill out if not already gone.

Thee world is changing and the corporate world has always played a big part in football its just on roids now.

Im not rich but pushed the boat out to get tickets and i have no regrets about it at all even punch myself at times.

That's what I mean, the stadium is the horsepower, but we are not going to change our strategy of buying young and cheap with higher sell on potential.

As for the tickets, you won't regret it I am sure. I have taken my godson to WHL for the last 6 years, and apart from anything else, it has brought us much closer. This has had the added effect of getting him to support Spurs over Arsenal (his father) which I take great pride in.

We'll even get more tv money in facility fees as the production teams can use our infrastructure instead of temporary setups for each game.

Exactly, there is more than just someones magic calculator

Non match day revenue will be up. I bet Spurs sell next to non of it now, you look how much day hire is in a London venue for somewhere the size of Spurs new place, your talking 15k a day per area, thats serious wonga

Hahahah

Could not agree more with this, the new stadium is the turning point for us we will still not be able to run at the loses the two doped clubs do but it will put us in a far better position financially to challenge them.

The importance of the stadium is it is a revenue s.tream we are in complete control of.

Levy realises that you only build something like this once in a lifetime and by design is aiming at eeking every penny he can out of our biggest asset.

But we have to be realistic. 2 clubs have a bottomless pit of money, and another started their rise to the top 20+ years ago. We can aim for Liverpool and Arsenal (off the pitch) and should look to overtake them.

To keep us attractive off the pitch we need to keep competitive on the pitch. Luckily we have a guy who can work within real constraints (relatively) but still have us in the mix. Every year he does that is a massive help further down the line. We will be miles off the financial power of City,Chelsea,Man U even when those days come, so it makes less sense now to try and play their game. We just got to do our own thing.

That's what I mean, the stadium is the horsepower, but we are not going to change our strategy of buying young and cheap with higher sell on potential.

As for the tickets, you won't regret it I am sure. I have taken my godson to WHL for the last 6 years, and apart from anything else, it has brought us much closer. This has had the added effect of getting him to support Spurs over Arsenal (his father) which I take great pride in.

I am hoping we wont all be so close together at the new ground, if you were sat next to a fatty at the lane you were in trouble. To be fair the seats were to narrow, I am 6 foot and my knees would often be touching the back of the head of the person in the row in front of me.

You are vastly underestimating the revenue generation of the new stadium, especially in relation to the corporate £.

Firstly it is worth pointing out that at the existing stadium it has been reported that the 3,000 corporate seats generate equal revenue to the other 33,000 ‘ordinary’ seats. Now consider that the new stadium has provision for an extra 5,000 corporate seats on top of the number we have at WHL, but also remember that the new stadium will have vastly improved corporate facilities which will be the best in London, not only that but our corporate facilities will also have the added attraction of regular NFL games, that will be hugely attractive for the US Banks, Insurance and Tech companies. Therefore corporate prices at hte new stadium will be significantly higher than the like for like prices at WHL. I would envisage that the 8,000 corporate seats will probably generate more than 4 times the revenue of the current corporate offering at WHL.

You are also failing to consider stadium naming rights. Again the NFL games are a benefit here as a stadium sponsor will be getting exposure from both football, and American football (and also further exposure from the various concerts, boxing matches, etc). I would envisage that stadium naming rights will come in somewhere between £10-£20 million per season.

I think your £25 million estimate of additional revenue is likely to be surpassed by more than 100%. Personally I envisage that the new stadium will add somewhere between £60 and £100 million to THFC’s turnover. If we assume we continue to operate our existing 50% wages/turnover ratio then that allow us to add £30-£50 million to our wage bill.... Or put another way that enables the club to take on 4 to 7 Hernandez’s on top of the existing squad.

I could be wrong here but I think that capital projects are usually considered to be good value if they pay for themselves over 12 years. Ours looks like it will cost a total of about £750 to £800 million. If we assume the higher figure then £66 million of additional revenue per year would make it good value. I think we will realise at least that much revenue and therefore realise that value.

Back