• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Daniel Levy - Chairman

Wasn't 80 when he bought us - still can't remember him showing up too many times.

I don't know, the way he's run the club just doesn't seem like what a fan would do in his place - if you had the money to push your team to success (and believe me, Joe has more than most - even more than most billionaires), and you owned the club, wouldn't you do it to see the team you loved pick up the titles and trophies that would, in turn, define you as one of its best-ever owners? Jack Walker did it with the team he loved, Abramovich does it (albeit with far more blood-stained cash) with his team, smaller club owners up and down the land (usually businessmen) buy their beloved clubs and plough in as much as they can before funding them becomes too much and they hand them over to other owners. It seems like the done thing if you are a millionaire/billionaire and a fan of the club you own - the way Lewis has run us would at the very least be a major exception to this trend. And, as mentioned, he barely shows up to watch our games - once every few years if we're lucky. Does that speak of a deep emotional attachment to the club?

Overall, the way he's run us has largely been as an investment which will, in time, generate a profit on the initial purchase price of over 2000% or more when he lets it go. That's a fantastic business decision. And I'm not saying he's objectively been a *bad* owner, because he hasn't taken any money out of the club or impinged on our operating ability in any way. But he hasn't been particularly beneficial either, and his ownership of the club seems like it isn't really like a labor of love - more a calculated business decision with minimum expenditure for maximum profit.

*Levy* is a fan. There is zero doubt about that. And Levy can't be blamed for not putting his own dosh in because he doesn't have enough of it to really sustain suspending in any meaningful capacity, so he does his job as a chairman and does it well. But Levy's the junior partner within ENIC - Joe Lewis calls the shots, and I'm just not sure he's as ardent a fan of the club as some people believe him to be.

See above. And leave out the asinine snark, thanks.

Walker, among many other owners, ruined "their" club chasing a dream for their own agrandment.
I don't know where Lewis want we he bought spurs, but he has given us the opportunity to be what we are today and long term I don't think there's a club in the UK with our stability.

what we have is sustainable, ENIC could sell, or even just give us away, and the club is on a solid footing, thats incredible

I'm sure there are plenty of clubs out there whose fans wished their owners would take a back seat and let more qualified people take charge - he has no obligation to do anything other than ensure the club is being run well, which it is, so...

Oh, no, I agree - he has zero obligations to run us the way he does, or any way at all, really. He could wind us up tomorrow if he wished to take the hit that would come from losing more than a billion pounds in terms of potential profits from selling us on. I'm not suggesting that he's obligated to us in any way - only that he isn't particularly beneficial or harmful to the club in any way as an owner. He set us up to run mainly on our own money, and he exists as an unconnected entity outside of the club - not a positive, and not a negative. That's my point.

Is that not the genius of it?

Sure, if you're an investor. As a fan (which is what this side-argument about Joe Lewis is at its source)? No, not really, because you've basically set your team up to chug along slowly building itself up and winning almost nothing for two decades while clubs with more activist owners surpass yours and thrive, winning things and writing themselves into English football history.

I don't think Joe Lewis is a fan of ours. He sees us as an asset, which is well within his rights, but that doesn't mean he's a particularly committed owner either way.

Walker, among many other owners, ruined "their" club chasing a dream for their own agrandment.
I don't know where Lewis want we he bought spurs, but he has given us the opportunity to be what we are today and long term I don't think there's a club in the UK with our stability.

Walker ruined his club? How on Earth did you figure that, mate? Walker took a relatively small northern team languishing in the lower divisions after a protracted fifty-year fall from glory and took them to being Premier League champions, at the peak of English football and competitors in Europe - they went down after that, but came straight back up and re-established themselves as a competitive mid-table side which got back into Europe multiple times via relatively consistent upper mid-table finishes. And won a League Cup during that time to boot.

Blackburn's fall from grace since then is because of Venky's, not because of Walker or his trust. So I'm not sure how you can say that Walker 'ruined' Blackburn, mate. They would never, *ever* have won a Premier League title without him and his investment - they likely never will win one again. Strange sort of ruination, that. ;)

He does, and he didn't.

Yes, and your point is?

what we have is sustainable, ENIC could sell, or even just give us away, and the club is on a solid footing, thats incredible

Incredible in the context of England, perhaps. In Germany, it's the norm across all levels of football, so it actually isn't that unique on a European level.

I want the future to have more promise than the past.

I'm not arguing that Lewis must be a fan, I don't care, the less our ownership cares about football the better imo, that is Poch's job.

The stronger the business the easier our progress, it's a long game.

I want the future to have more promise than the past.

Sure, no arguments there.

I'm not arguing that Lewis must be a fan, I don't care, the less our ownership cares about football the better imo, that is Poch's job.

Depends. If the owners care about football, they could either be highly interventionist and thus act to Poch's detriment, or hands-off and only interested in funding success, which would be to Poch's *benefit*. Either way, it's not as black and white as saying 'uninterested owners = more freedom for Poch". In fact, Poch may be constrained by Lewis' lack of interest because he can't compete with other managers around us on an equal footing - it would be hard to argue that this situation is giving him *more* freedom to run the team the way he would like, I'm sure you'll agree.

Anyway, that's incidental to the point. I was arguing that Lewis isn't really a fan of ours and has left the club to be run in a manner that is neither directly beneficial nor directly harmful - people challenged me on those points, so I include my responses in the posts I make.

The stronger the business the easier our progress, it's a long game.

Sure, but other clubs have *strong businesses* and have also progressed much, much faster than we have - Chelsea and City being two examples. In the long game, they've beaten us in terms of trophies won and history accumulated, while still growing to be larger clubs than us and being fairly sustainable in terms of their football operations (debt to their owners aside, they're both really healthy in terms of revenue).

If it's a long game, having owners like Lewis isn't really a benefit in any conceivable way. It's absolutely not a hindrance by itself - he doesn't take money out or retread our progress. But it's not really a benefit either, in the context of the environment we operate in. There is no tangible advantage to doing it the slow way compared to, say, Chelsea's way. Morally, it isn't our own way or the way of a club owned and operated by its fans, it's the way our billionaire owner chose, so I'm not sure how right it is to be proud of being run as per restrictions imposed by a man who doesn't seem to have much of a connection to the club. Financially and in terms of our main goal (winning trophies), there is no benefit compared to the Chelsea way. So how is it beneficial in the long game? We have a new stadium coming up that we scrimped and saved for fifteen-odd years for - Chelsea are building an equally expensive, equal-size one while splurging like madmen for that same time period and winning the league, the Champions League, the FA Cup, the Europa League....so where is this advantage we have accumulated in the 'long game'?

Oh, no, I agree - he has zero obligations to run us the way he does, or any way at all, really. He could wind us up tomorrow if he wished to take the hit that would come from losing more than a billion pounds in terms of potential profits from selling us on. I'm not suggesting that he's obligated to us in any way - only that he isn't particularly beneficial or harmful to the club in any way as an owner. He set us up to run mainly on our own money, and he exists as an unconnected entity outside of the club - not a positive, and not a negative. That's my point.

Sure, if you're an investor. As a fan (which is what this side-argument about Joe Lewis is at its source)? No, not really, because you've basically set your team up to chug along slowly building itself up and winning almost nothing for two decades while clubs with more activist owners surpass yours and thrive, winning things and writing themselves into English football history.

I don't think Joe Lewis is a fan of ours. He sees us as an asset, which is well within his rights, but that doesn't mean he's a particularly committed owner either way.

Walker ruined his club? How on Earth did you figure that, mate? Walker took a relatively small northern team languishing in the lower divisions after a protracted fifty-year fall from glory and took them to being Premier League champions, at the peak of English football and competitors in Europe - they went down after that, but came straight back up and re-established themselves as a competitive mid-table side which got back into Europe multiple times via relatively consistent upper mid-table finishes. And won a League Cup during that time to boot.

Blackburn's fall from grace since then is because of Venky's, not because of Walker or his trust. So I'm not sure how you can say that Walker 'ruined' Blackburn, mate. They would never, *ever* have won a Premier League title without him and his investment - they likely never will win one again. Strange sort of ruination, that. ;)

Yes, and your point is?

Incredible in the context of England, perhaps. In Germany, it's the norm across all levels of football, so it actually isn't that unique on a European level.

That's one way of looking at it, another is that he took them to the pinnacle of league champions and then relegation. If he gets credit for one he must get criticism for the other. He built a team and club he couldn't or wouldn't sustain at the top. That imo is why they are where they are.

@DubaiSpur ...I keep reading your long posts (nothing wrong with them being long) and although you do square your reasoning, they just feel a little disingenuous. There is something there, a dislike, a distrust, I can't quite nail it. Maybe you've always had a bee in your bonnet regarding levy/lewis (i know you've never given levy much slack), and now it really looks like coming together, it really appears to be an effort for you to give them outright praise.

I'm perfectly happy with the way they have run the club as a business. That's how they bought it in the first place (as an investment vehicle). And more so, it aligns with my beliefs that achieving anything is so much sweeter if you've had to work hard to get there. The journey is paramount.

The other way is just instant gratification. The have it yesterday, can't wait for nothing mob.

I could f.ck a high class brass every night if I wanted, and for two weeks it would be quality, but after a month it would just be a hole....not a goal.

To think we might just pull this off, and when considering the parameters, restrictions we face and not too mention the doped up clubs we are up against is nothing short of remarkable. To tip toe a path thru that is a credit to Levy and by extension Lewis (even if the only thing he's done is save us from Sugar).

They deserve whatever they get.

And that's because they've been banging away at it for 15+yrs executing a plan that will leave a legacy at the club we all love long after you and I have spent our last visit to the new WHL.

Last edited:
That's one way of looking at it, another is that he took them to the pinnacle of league champions and then relegation. If he gets credit for one he must get criticism for the other. He built a team and club he couldn't or wouldn't sustain at the top. That imo is why they are where they are.

Sure, it's my view - I accept that they did get relegated afterwards in pretty shoddy circumstances. But to my mind, given their geographic and demographic limitations, Blackburn's stay in the top flight was a deviation from the norm for them - which, in the professional era, has been mainly spent in the lower leagues.

Without Walker, maybe they wouldn't have been relegated, who knows. but I do know that, without Walker, they would *never*, *ever* have won the league in the first place - it is a level so far removed from where they normally were without Walker's generosity that it's incredible to think that they would even have come close.

Walker's involvement (and the involvement of his trust after his death) led to two-odd decades of mostly consistent top flight participation, UEFA Cup campaigns, cup runs, a league title and a League Cup. And a relegation in between. Given those realities, I think I'm justified in saying the good was far greater than the bad.

@DubaiSpur ...I keep reading your long posts (nothing wrong with them being long) and although you do square your reasoning, they just feel a little disingenuous. There is something there, a dislike, a distrust, I can't quite nail it. Maybe you've always had a bee in your bonnet regarding levy/lewis (i know you've never given levy much slack), and now it really looks like coming together, it really appears to be an effort for you to give them outright praise.

Well, that's a novel take on it, I suppose. :p I freely admit that I've never given Levy much slack, although I'm largely content with his current approach - comes down to how much he backs the man in charge, really. He doesn't have much of a financial input into the club, so I expect good decision making as a substitute for that - hasn't always been the case, although thankfully with things like backing Poch with big bids he's making the decisions I want to see him making.

As for Lewis, no, no specific distrust or dislike, mate. But I'm firm on the idea that he isn't some ideal owner that we are blessed to have, or even a fan of our club - he's made it clear on his end (to my mind) that we are an investment, nothing more, and thus there are a range of better and worse ownership models out there to compare ourselves to. Some models have given their teams both success and the financial stability we spent one and half decades slowly building - others have seen owner take money out of their clubs and run them into the ground. Lewis' model is midway on the scale for me - not good, not bad. You don't have to dislike a man to hold that view, or distrust him given that he's made his intentions abundantly clear (to my mind) and stuck with 'em in a range of situations where some investment might have helped, or (alternatively) where the temptation to take money out of the club must have been tempting.

I
'm perfectly happy with the way they have run the club as a business. That's how they bought it in the first place (as an investment vehicle). And more so, it aligns with my beliefs that achieving anything is so much sweeter if you've had to work hard to get there. The journey is paramount.

Eh. In the long sweep of history, when our relatively barren spell from 2001 to 2017 (and counting) is brought up, the explanation will probably be that we were building, slowly and steadily. But then we will be compared to Chelsea and City as two other examples, who will both end up with stadiums our size, financial stability and success to boot without any of the arduous labour of doing it on a self-sustaining budget - and it will be pointed out that we also had a billionaire owner, like them. Only a far less personally invested one. So why was it necessary to take this route?

My ideal was, and is, fan ownership - we would be forced to go down that slow, careful route in that instance, but we can know that it's because it's our chosen way, the way of the little guy in the stands who will be at the club long after billionaires come and go - and truly a manifestation of our determination to get there ourselves as a fanbase and a club. And that would make me enormously happy. As it stands, the way chosen for us has been chosen not because of any inherent financial limitations on the part of our own disinterested billionaire, but because it fits with the 'buy low, sell high' approach. We are just an asset that appreciates in value and profile and is eventually sold - and two decades with one League Cup to show for it is in pursuit of *that* goal primarily. The club building a base to challenge was an important aspect of it, but it was likely secondary to that primary goal (or at least, was done with that goal in mind).

It's important to note that, is all. This conversation started because I posted something about Zuckerberg being the lesser evil to some blood-stained oligarch or oil monarch - I pointed out that he would probably be a better option because I could at least rest easy in the fact that we weren't owned by a complete c*nt, but that he would be the same sort of investor seeking a profit that ENIC is. I believe @Rorschach chimed in and said that our model was ideal because it was working up the slow way, without unlimited money (apologies if I'm misquoting you, mate - foggy memory, even at my age :p ) - I disagreed because it wasn't our chosen model, it was ENIC's chosen model, and that the difference mattered. Spiralled from there. :p

The other way is just instant gratification. The have it yesterday, can't wait for nothing mob.

I could f.ck a high class brass every night if I wanted, and for two weeks it would be quality, but after a month it would just be a hole....not a goal.

Right, but that's a bit tangential to the points that were being addressed earlier on. The main reason people have pointed to us as being unique (as far as I can tell) is because we're financially stable and living within our means while slowly building up to challenge for things. And it took seventeen years to get here. My counterpoint was that the flash clubs with the cash, the car and the birds are also financially stable now - they make more money than we do (through a variety of means), and run on that money. Our new stadium will be followed by Chelsea's and the expansion to the Etihad to take it up to our capacity - so they can build the same infrastructure we can, but do it quicker and easier. So what has been the tangible advantage of seventeen barren years? Our stability is something Chelsea and City can pull off while also winning trophies and being generally successful, so where have we come out ahead?

To think we might just pull this off, and when considering the parameters, restrictions we face and not too mention the doped up clubs we are up against is nothing short of remarkable. To tip toe a path thru that is a credit to Levy and by extension Lewis (even if the only thing he's done is save us from Sugar).

They deserve whatever they get.

And that's because they've been banging away at it for 15+yrs executing a plan that will leave a legacy at the club we all love long after you and I have spent our last visit to the new WHL.

Well, sure, we might pull it off now, and a lot of credit goes to Levy, and to a lesser extent to Lewis, for putting us in a position to make that happen - but that really doesn't change the fact that we could have done it a different way and been no worse off for it. :p Ultimately, being owned by billionaires isn't my ideal scenario - being owned by the fans is. Beyond that, the particular shade of billionaire who owns us is just quibbling, but a generous fan billionaire would be useful to speed up the slow build that a stingier, more profit-focused billionaire would insist on, is all. I wouldn't take the former over the latter if the former came with blood-stained hands like those of Abramovich - but other than that, I really don't see how the latter is any more morally upright than the former.

Anyway, I've liked your post because you've taken the time to read my positions, and I appreciate it - even if you seem to perceive some residual distrust or dislike of Lewis and Levy that I assure you isn't there. :p

Before they were bought? Definitely - City were almost a carbon copy in some ways, and Chelsea were then roughly what we are now, albeit on the verge of bankruptcy. Why?

I thought you were say we were on thier financial level in more recent times and thus comparing us and our recent achievements.

Before they were bought is irrelevant

I thought you were say we were on thier financial level in more recent times and thus comparing us and our recent achievements.

Before they were bought is irrelevant

Oh, no, we're not on their financial level - sorry if I gave you that impression.

My point was that they've achieved more than we have while being as financially *stable* as we are - and what infrastructure we build, they match without anywhere near as much sweat and blood, so really, there's no tangible advantage to being run the way we are versus being run like them.

Oh, no, we're not on their financial level - sorry if I gave you that impression.

My point was that they've achieved more than we have while being as financially *stable* as we are - and what infrastructure we build, they match without anywhere near as much sweat and blood, so really, there's no tangible advantage to being run the way we are versus being run like them.

I truly believe 'a big investor' will buy out Enic to some degree

Back