• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Daniel Levy - Chairman

We’ve a lot of youth in the squad, many of them recent signings, I think we are youth friendly, we just forget how young some of them are.

Porro, VDV, Kulu, Gill, Udogie, Spence, Sarr, Royal, Romero, all very early 20’s when they signed.

Indeed and now have a manager in tune with a youthful strategy

But conversely the stockpiling of players in many positions has also probably stopped the development and progress of players on the fringe.

When we have multiple players in one area and we have gone and added more, the logical step would intheory be to clear out the excess you don't need and at least provide fleeting experiences to players in development. We have had 3/4 LB and RBs are some points, that's excessive and hinders every aspect of the club.

You could argue that we could have cut our losses with someone like Moura a season earlier to benefit a Mundle who eventually left to go elsewhere, maybe not good enough but equally not really joined up thinking by the club.

They have thankfully acknowledged that in the statements last year about the youth etc
Re stockpiling...you have to acknowledge the genuine difficulties in selling players?

Plus if we employ managers that don't care about youth, but with the intention of focusing on making the first team successful, then that is the path we chose. If the outcome is not successful, we criticise (as we do), and the youth/academy will be collateral damage of that period.

Last edited:
Re stockpiling...you have to acknowledge the genuine difficulties in selling players?

Plus if we employ managers that don't care about youth, but with the intention of focusing on making the first team successful, then that is the path we chose. If the outcome is not successful, we criticise (as we do), and the youth/academy will be collateral damage of that period.

Oh I'm not saying it's easy and I agree on the second point to a large extent

My over arching point is simply I don't think our strategy has been joint up and even if we had great talent coming through I think various decisions across the board would have stunted their progression IMO

Oh I'm not saying it's easy and I agree on the second point to a large extent

My over arching point is simply I don't think our strategy has been joint up and even if we had great talent coming through I think various decisions across the board would have stunted their progression IMO
It's not joined up, but that is by design. You employ two managers that aren't going to embrace the youth element of the club. That is your chosen strategy, albeit, in hindsight, unsuccessful and alien to the way we've operated before.

Of course, if it was successful we wouldn't be having this conversation, these are the breaks.

It's not joined up, but that is by design. You employ two managers that aren't going to embrace the youth element of the club. That is your chosen strategy, albeit, in hindsight, unsuccessful and alien to the way we've operated before.

Of course, if it was successful we wouldn't be having this conversation, these are the breaks.

Yeh but we also had a DOF going round Europe buying up youth for two managers who history shows are not the most patient or known for their youth development. Thats why I don't blame those managers exclusively, I just think things haven't made 100% sense at times. Albeit, its brilliant now as we have many a ready made player for a manager who clearly has that side to his game, which is partly why its so exciting, but out last 5 years of decisions and lack of joint up thinking is very much why our squads now bottlednecked.

I think that's why you have a DoF, most managers don't last three years, recruitment has to work over a longer period.

I don't think its not joined up, its hard, you are buying players in year 1 you hope will be good enough for the manager you have in year 3, but they don't all progress as they could, or necessarily fit the current system.

I don't think there is a perfect solution here.

Yeh but we also had a DOF going round Europe buying up youth for two managers who history shows are not the most patient or known for their youth development. Thats why I don't blame those managers exclusively, I just think things haven't made 100% sense at times. Albeit, its brilliant now as we have many a ready made player for a manager who clearly has that side to his game, which is partly why its so exciting, but out last 5 years of decisions and lack of joint up thinking is very much why our squads now bottlednecked.

To play devils advocate…

Levy has publicly inferred, at Oxford last year, that he only expects coaches to last a couple of years like on the continent. These “club signings” are probably an attempt to get in early to sign potential for beyond that timeline.

Still a flawed strategy though. A player sitting out two seasons isn’t going to appreciate in value as I think Levy will find with Rodon and Spence.

In terms of management appointment, squad quality, squad mentality, club direction and the clubs prefered method of business this is the most aligned we have ever been.
There's been a few false dawns over the past decade, some avoidable, some not IMHO, AVB, bale, Poch, Harry et Al, we've had three out of five, but never been able to line them all up.
This is as close as we've come.
Important part now is clear out the bits we don't want and invest it properly.
The base is there, club, coach and core squad all seem to be working from the same plan, let's hope we can build it how we want.

That's a good point. Maybe we didn't realise the two managers were as flexible as a RSJ (at least show a little interest in what is top European talent ffs)
I wonder if even a close colleague of Conte like Paratici wasn't thinking (and even raising a concern to DL, ultimately his employer), 'why are we shopping in this market?'.

Last edited:
That's a good point. Maybe we didn't realise the two managers were as flexible as a RSJ (at least a little interest in what is top European talent)
I wonder if even a close colleague of Conte like Paratici wasn't thinking (and even raising a concern to DL, ultimately his employer), 'why are we shopping in this market?'.

Hahahah Heck knows, last season was nuts

To play devils advocate…

Levy has publicly inferred, at Oxford last year, that he only expects coaches to last a couple of years like on the continent. These “club signings” are probably an attempt to get in early to sign potential for beyond that timeline.

Still a flawed strategy though. A player sitting out two seasons isn’t going to appreciate in value as I think Levy will find with Rodon and Spence.
But it's always going to be the case of you win some you lose some.

I think you just have to align things as best as possible, and probably the Poch, Ange type of appointment (still) best suits us at present, as they'll integrate and develop players of any age, and most importantly give everyone a fair crack of the whip....even if they're 'club signings'.

To play devils advocate…

He also said he'd love a long term coach like fergie or wenger.

Not disagreeing with your point. Just providing context before people jump on it.

https://www.spurs-web.com/spurs-new...or-spurs-struggling-to-sell-unwanted-players/

True or not? References the Evening Standard and says Levy may be involved in all outgoing deals and slowing transfers out because he wants to get top dollar from everyone of them.

Seeing as how Levy is involved in purchases, I think it's highly likely.

True or not what? That the spursweb twists what the original article said? True.

That spurs may struggle to offload players as many msy be on precovid saliries (as the article says)? True.

That not having a dof might make things harder? True.

That levy has historically held out for the best deal? True.

That levy is slowing down deals now? Nowhere in the evening standard article did it say that.

True or not what? That the spursweb twists what the original article said? True.

That spurs may struggle to offload players as many msy be on precovid saliries (as the article says)? True.

That not having a dof might make things harder? True.

That levy has historically held out for the best deal? True.

That levy is slowing down deals now? Nowhere in the evening standard article did it say that.

Haters got to hate.

The early part of the transfer window was successful.

The later part not really, lots of reports, which back up reports of previous years that Levy is involved in the outgoings. I do hope he is as far away from transfers as possible. But I have my doubts based on previous years and reports from lots of different sources.

Back