• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Daniel Levy - Chairman

The reason the players aren't willing to take a pay cut is that they know a lot of the clubs have the money.
They still have clubs contacting them and their agents about transfers in the summer.

That is how they know the clubs will continue spending money on transfer fees and agent fees as normal.

You have Chelsea and United fighting over £100m+ Sancho.
There's a list of Premier League clubs trying to buy Morelos from Rangers.
You have Timo Werner deciding between Liverpool and Bayern.
You have every club that needs a dm looking at Baptiste Santamaria.
Idiots West Ham looking to sign Alexis Sanchez.
But that’s paper rumours on the basis of clubs getting tv and prize money that currently they have no sight of

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...ough-staff-after-fierce-criticism-coronavirus

"Liverpool have reversed a controversial decision to put around 200 non-playing staff on furlough following widespread criticism of their plans to use the government’s coronavirus job retention scheme.

The world’s seventh-richest football club announced on Saturday that it was to follow Saudi Sportswashing Machine, Tottenham, Norwich and Bournemouth in furloughing non-playing staff during the coronavirus crisis, with the taxpayer effectively paying 80% of the wages of those affected and the club paying the remaining 20%.

However, amid a barrage of criticism from former players and supporters, and following talks between the chief executive, Peter Moore, and the club’s owner, Fenway Sports Group, Liverpool have performed a U-turn and Moore has issued a public apology for the tawdry episode."

Like our fans, their fans also foamed at the mouth about it. Their Supporters' Trust demanded an explanation and a reversal.

The media also attacked them about it, just as they did us. They demanded a reversal as well.

Liverpool duly reversed course.

This isn't about club rivalries - this is about right, and wrong.

There's still time for the club to do the right thing and not be a source of shame for this morally bankrupt crap. I hope it does.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...ough-staff-after-fierce-criticism-coronavirus

"Liverpool have reversed a controversial decision to put around 200 non-playing staff on furlough following widespread criticism of their plans to use the government’s coronavirus job retention scheme.

The world’s seventh-richest football club announced on Saturday that it was to follow Saudi Sportswashing Machine, Tottenham, Norwich and Bournemouth in furloughing non-playing staff during the coronavirus crisis, with the taxpayer effectively paying 80% of the wages of those affected and the club paying the remaining 20%.

However, amid a barrage of criticism from former players and supporters, and following talks between the chief executive, Peter Moore, and the club’s owner, Fenway Sports Group, Liverpool have performed a U-turn and Moore has issued a public apology for the tawdry episode."

Like our fans, their fans also foamed at the mouth about it. Their Supporters' Trust demanded an explanation and a reversal.

The media also attacked them about it, just as they did us. They demanded a reversal as well.

There's still time for the club to do the right thing and not be a source of shame for this morally bankrupt crap. I hope it does.
I’m guessing some sponsors gave them a bit of grief
But I don’t expect any changes with us
We have furloughed 40% of the staff which the press haven’t gone back and covered much at all (sure we will be the focus now). And of course the press focus on last seasons money and pay as if it’s paid in March

I sincerely hope the club has more nerve than to change tack at the whining of a bunch of Trust mongs.

The Dippers have done a u-turn. Levy has principles and doesn't care if people think he's a prick. Looks like the Dippers want to protect their image. I reckon it's a bit late for that.

Fair play to Liverpool for doing the right thing in the end.

Listening to The Monday Night Club on 5Live it certainly doesn’t seem to have done their image any harm at all. Indeed, it’s the opposite - they are saying they showed humility, that they are listening to their fans, and that this kind of thing is what sets Liverpool apart from other clubs.

Oh, and they’re all having a pop at us. Rightly so.

Last edited:
I’m guessing some sponsors gave them a bit of grief
But I don’t expect any changes with us
We have furloughed 40% of the staff which the press haven’t gone back and covered much at all (sure we will be the focus now). And of course the press focus on last seasons money and pay as if it’s paid in March

I wouldn't be so sure. Everyone confidently predicted that the dominoes would start falling after us, and Liverpool were held up as an example of this happening.

They've literally reversed course after two days of fierce criticism, leaving us alone to take the flak for this (rightly so). While the dominoes still might fall, assuming the club stays firm in the face of being the renewed target of criticism is premature.

I think the club can change if they want to, and the more bad PR they get, the more they will be forced to consider it. Especially given that good PR is sort of a pre-requisite for the commercial income the club wants, the stadium sponsorship the club needs, and so on.

It's not the way I wanted a change to happen, but if the club won't do the right thing on its own accord, society will increasingly force us to do the right thing. This is indefensible.

We used to line up all night for the standing room in the late 70s/early 80s. Got in for McEnroe v Connors SF. Epic. We were Mac fans. He threw a wobbler. Two quid. Good times...

Sounds good, my son is a big tennis fan. Think it would have been Feds last chance to win it this year.

I am more a sit down and watch it with strawberries type of a guy.

I wouldn't be so sure. Everyone confidently predicted that the dominoes would start falling after us, and Liverpool were held up as an example of this happening.

They've literally reversed course after two days of fierce criticism, leaving us alone to take the flak for this (rightly so). While the dominoes still might fall, assuming the club stays firm in the face of being the renewed target of criticism is premature.

I think the club can change if they want to, and the more bad PR they get, the more they will be forced to consider it. Especially given that good PR is sort of a pre-requisite for the commercial income the club wants, the stadium sponsorship the club needs, and so on.

It's not the way I wanted a change to happen, but if the club won't do the right thing on its own accord, society will increasingly force us to do the right thing. This is indefensible.

Your right and it is the only thing that will make Levy change his mind.

The Dippers have done a u-turn. Levy has principles and doesn't care if people think he's a prick. Looks like the Dippers want to protect their image. I reckon it's a bit late for that.

Levy will only care if the sponsors care and i cant see the sponsors really caring about this. It is something the talk sport and the sun care about and the inbred freaks that use that media care about. We will only change tack if it looks like hurting us.

I still don’t understand how it’s indefensible?
We have no money coming in and loads going out...
we make less money than many many business that are furloughing already and we have stack of debt

I should imagine there is a tremendous amount of paper work involved in the furlough scheme, they have either massively wasted the time of already overworked people or they didn’t actually apply to the scheme in the first place and only announced it to see what the push back would be.

I should imagine there is a tremendous amount of paper work involved in the furlough scheme, they have either massively wasted the time of already overworked people or they didn’t actually apply to the scheme in the first place and only announced it to see what the push back would be.
The latter
Fair play to them for changing their mind
I think the interest free loan from the owner may change now to cover them

They can't apply yet

If we reversed the furloughing now (without any movement on player wages) it would imply it was an ill-considered decision in the first place. And agree with it or not, Levy does not strike me as someone who makes ill-considered decisions.

Nothing wrong with a business admitting they made a mistake, however they want to spin it in the media. I see Waitrose has just reversed a policy to force all employees who were self-isolating to make up the time off they took.

The company said: "We're really sorry that we got it wrong.
"We've listened to our Partners and changed our policy. "

As I said before, I think we are fcked financially. I would imagine Liverpool’s owners have agreed to cover their shortfall. I doubt Uncle Joe is up for doing the same thing for us.

Back