• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Daniel Levy - Chairman

i find this statement a bit worrying:
"Levy insists that nothing much has changed in terms of Tottenham’s position in the marketplace, especially with a fixed sum ringfenced for transfers each season as part of the refinancing agreements."

What is the point in taking on all of that risk and all of that debt if it hasn't changed our position in the marketplace? Or perhaps is it just the huge overspend on the stadium that has led to this?

He's talking percentages....so the ringfenced money will increase as the other metrics do.

i find this statement a bit worrying:
"Levy insists that nothing much has changed in terms of Tottenham’s position in the marketplace, especially with a fixed sum ringfenced for transfers each season as part of the refinancing agreements."

What is the point in taking on all of that risk and all of that debt if it hasn't changed our position in the marketplace? Or perhaps is it just the huge overspend on the stadium that has led to this?

PRO viewpoint: our position hasn't changed, we are still in the market for top talent, just like always, the huge debt is being serviced, it is not sucking up our resources, the money is ringfenced and not being spent elsewhere

ANTI viewpoint: our position hasn't improved, we're still a small club with the same budget as ever

Take your pick

Given the state of the squad even back then we are back to the argument that I don’t believe

1. There was no one out there that could improve it

2. All of them didn’t want to come to spurs.

Grealish was on that list, if that’s the level of player we were looking at the bar was mediocre.

There must have been some serious scouting issues.

One of Mopos faults (few) is being too stubborn when it comes to players - look at selections etc - so it’s not a hard leap to assume he’s the same when it comes to transfers.

No one will ever know the players he was offered - so it’s hard to say either way

I agree on the scouting issues in the past, if the best ideas Mitchell could come up with were the likes of Mane and Wijnaldum (sp?) it’s hardly a deep search is it.

Again, I don't think Levy quite understands who he's appointed, and how much his methods need to change to make this a success.
Yeah, Levy hasn't noticed one of the biggest personalities in football in the last 20 years, wouldn't bother with due diligence for the biggest appointment in a football club and didn't spend weeks talking to and interviewing Mourinho before appointing him. He just heard about him a few weeks before appointing him...

If Mourinho isn't a success, throws his toys out of the pram and starts slating Levy or Spurs then his standing in football is going to drop even lower than it was after Utd. Mourinho knows he has damaged his image with events at Utd and is now on a charm offensive to build his image up again.

Whatever you think of Levy and Mourinho, they are two smart men and both know what they are getting into.

Yeah, Levy hasn't noticed one of the biggest personalities in football in the last 20 years, wouldn't bother with due diligence for the biggest appointment in a football club and didn't spend weeks talking to and interviewing Mourinho before appointing him. He just heard about him a few weeks before appointing him...

I've been around enough executives and decision-makers to know that they often have an inflated opinion of their own preparedness for eventualities. Hell, part of my job is foresight-centric - understanding possible futures and then briefing executives on their preparedness (diplomatically, of course).

In Levy's case, no doubt he knows Mourinho, and has wanted him in for a while. I also suspect he's a) bought into Mourinho's charm offensive (which has happened to smart men in football before), and b) believes he can wrangle Mourinho into submission, should he start his typical second season act of demanding signings to make a push for the title.

I happen to think he's wrong about that second point, because Mourinho's media presence is much, much larger than Levy's, and sympathy for Levy's penny-pinching narrative will run out quickly given how Poch was sacked after not being backed. Mourinho has the press eating out of his hand - Levy does not. And Mourinho is unscrupulous enough to use that to full effect, unlike Poch.

Hence, I don't think Levy quite understands who he's dealing with. If he did, he wouldn't come out with this penny-pinching bargain-bin stuff he's been doing for twenty years.

Hopefully Levy spends money, gets players in early and backs his man this time. If not, it won't end as quietly as Poch's time here did - we lost a good man and appointed a global prima-donna in his place, and that will have consequences for how Levy's delay, delay routine will go down.

I've been around enough executives and decision-makers to know that they often have an inflated opinion of their own preparedness for eventualities. Hell, part of my job is foresight-centric - understanding possible futures and then briefing executives on their preparedness (diplomatically, of course).

In Levy's case, no doubt he knows Mourinho, and has wanted him in for a while. I also suspect he's a) bought into Mourinho's charm offensive (which has happened to smart men in football before), and b) believes he can wrangle Mourinho into submission, should he start his typical second season act of demanding signings to make a push for the title.

I happen to think he's wrong about that second point, because Mourinho's media presence is much, much larger than Levy's, and sympathy for Levy's penny-pinching narrative will run out quickly given how Poch was sacked after not being backed. Mourinho has the press eating out of his hand - Levy does not. And Mourinho is unscrupulous enough to use that to full effect, unlike Poch.

Hence, I don't think Levy quite understands who he's dealing with. If he did, he wouldn't come out with this penny-pinching bargain-bin stuff he's been doing for twenty years.

Hopefully Levy spends money, gets players in early and backs his man this time. If not, it won't end as quietly as Poch's time here did - we lost a good man and appointed a global prima-donna in his place, and that will have consequences for how Levy's delay, delay routine will go down.

Agree with all this, although a futures purist would carp that you are straightlining.

Given the state of the squad even back then we are back to the argument that I don’t believe

1. There was no one out there that could improve it

2. All of them didn’t want to come to spurs.

Grealish was on that list, if that’s the level of player we were looking at the bar was mediocre.

There must have been some serious scouting issues.

One of Mopos faults (few) is being too stubborn when it comes to players - look at selections etc - so it’s not a hard leap to assume he’s the same when it comes to transfers.

No one will ever know the players he was offered - so it’s hard to say either way

I would say when you take on Njie and Nkoudou for starters, you're perhaps not being stubborn enough!!! Grealish was available for 15 million at a fire sale price for a short window; at that price, he'd have been an excellent investment. Instead, we fudged around and "bosh" up went his price to 40 mill, which I think everyone accepted was overpaying by some distance.

I think there were big players who wanted to come to us, but I further think we play the transfer market in a certain way.

I will say this...if the Dybala deal had happened (and I am lead to believe by good sources that it really was close) I think we'd be in a very different place for a variety of reasons...

We spent £150m in the summer unless we back out of the Lo Celso deal which with the noises made by Betis is unlikely
Put that in perspective, that was half our turnover not that long ago
That’s not a club not spending
What it is (imo) is a club that now knows it’s financial status so can commit to spending elsewhere. That’s normal in any organisation of any sense and stature... don’t spend big money until you know the costs you have incurred in your largest project
It’s why I’m confident we will buy players and they won’t be regain basement ones unless the club believes they can develop them further

If Mourinho isn't a success, throws his toys out of the pram and starts slating Levy or Spurs then his standing in football is going to drop even lower than it was after Utd. Mourinho knows he has damaged his image with events at Utd and is now on a charm offensive to build his image up again.

Whatever you think of Levy and Mourinho, they are two smart men and both know what they are getting into.

Can not agree more, there is a lot of guesswork going about what will/will not happen and its flimflam. Does ANYONE seriously think that Levy/Jose have not sat down and had a frank talk about what money is available if needed?. Same old moans about Levy not backing his managers and predicting trouble between Levy and Jose by the same folks who have a gripe ( always have/always will) every year.

Its almost ( notice i said almost) like they are building themselves up to a " TOLD YOU SO MOMENT" .

We spent £150m in the summer unless we back out of the Lo Celso deal which with the noises made by Betis is unlikely
What it is (imo) is a club that now knows it’s financial status so can commit to spending elsewhere. That’s normal in any organisation of any sense and stature... don’t spend big money until you know the costs you have incurred in your largest project
It’s why I’m confident we will buy players and they won’t be regain basement ones unless the club believes they can develop them further

They are not listening.

I would say when you take on Njie and Nkoudou for starters, you're perhaps not being stubborn enough!!! Grealish was available for 15 million at a fire sale price for a short window; at that price, he'd have been an excellent investment. Instead, we fudged around and "bosh" up went his price to 40 mill, which I think everyone accepted was overpaying by some distance.

I think there were big players who wanted to come to us, but I further think we play the transfer market in a certain way.

I will say this...if the Dybala deal had happened (and I am lead to believe by good sources that it really was close) I think we'd be in a very different place for a variety of reasons...
Or good enough

I think it's pretty clear that this is most likely closest to the truth

Only if it fits your preconceived point of view.

The other read on what Levy was saying is that nothing was different from his end, we had a net budget to work with as always - and external factors got in the way.

Potentially internal ones as well, if Poch was unwilling to work within the (consistent) structure afforded.

We spent big/relatively big money under Poch a number of times. I dont buy the idea that he was stitched up at all to be honest.

& it was 100% of our t/o not much further back!

The issue here is youve assumed a position on Levy, only to then argue against it. All very conveniently wrapped up in the narrative youve constructed.

The problem I have reading it is this.

Has Levy ever struck you (or anyone) as not being prepared? Or as being so egotistical he thinks he can control the like of Mourinho?

I have to say, for me, the answer to both is a flat NO. Which leaves the rest of your post unravelling as I read it.

Levy managed Redknapp just fine, another media savvy (with media clout) manager who loves to buy players time and again.

Levy has shown willingness to be opportunistic, but also planning and execution time and again.

I cant help feeling with the summer that wasnt, it really did come down to exactly what he said - an inability to make room for players, as well as the market not offering much in the first place.

Allied to Poch being keen on a policy of only signing players to really strengthen - it seems to me an unfortunate confluence of circumstance is the most likely "truth" than any sort of conspiracy or caricature of Levy being Scrooge.

Mourinho? Youd have to be deaf, blind and having spent the last 15 years living on the moon to not know what he is and how he is likely to behave.

We've all seen the charm elsewhere, we've all seen how it goes. Personally I credit Levy to know EXACTLY whats going on there and to not be so full of himself to think he can change him.

Again, occams razor - theyve had conversations already about what is/isnt going to be available. Simple as that.

If Mourinho tries to move the goal posts later on, then its something to deal with at the time. But Id be confident right now in Levy holding up his end of whatever bargain they have made.

I just saw some guy say he refuses to buy food or drink at Spurs due to lack of investment on the pitch. How pathetic is that as a POV.

Its a pretty abstract view when you might go to a pub in London and all you get for your money is the pint and no influence over how the owner spends his profits? I find some of our support totally odd.

Its the biggest example of cutting your nose of I have seen in a long time.

The Telegraph are reporting that the Spurs chairman has set his sights on a £25million per year naming-rights deal with a 15-year commitment which would net the Champions League finalists a windfall of £375million.

Such a deal would make Tottenham the highest recipient of a stadium sponsorship deal in England with Emirates Marketing Project netting around £21.9m-a-year from Etihad.

It would also make the stadium the recipient of the biggest sponsorship deal in world sport, eclipsing the Toronto-based Scotiabank Arena which earns £24.4m a year over a twenty-year period.

When did you expect it to change our position in the marketplace then?
I'll say straight away I'm not an economist at all.

I imagined something like what Arsenal experienced. Some years of limited spending, but over time being able to spend more. Long term impact depending on results on the pitch.

Surely we're waiting for the stadium naming rights? Once that is sorted, stadium payments are secure and the rest can go to investing in the squad? It would be madness to get this far and go for it in transfer spending, risking financial meltdown if the naming rights never materialise/TV money disappears.

Back