• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Daniel Levy - Chairman

I still think Sherwood was caretaker in all but name. Levy learnt from the mistake of keeping Pleat as caretaker for most of the season, which led to drift and the expectation of a big name manager (i.e. Santini rather than Jol, but well played Arnesen). Sherwood did the job of holding fort and most fans would have been happy with any replacement (in the end Poch over LVG or De Boer). If Sherwood had been caretaker and we had been speculating about the manager for 9 months, would Poch have been so welcomed?

I still can't help but feel the fact that Sherwood was so 'highly thought of' at the club for so long reflects badly on Levy (and I'm a hardcore supporter of his), but I do take your point.

I still think Sherwood was caretaker in all but name. Levy learnt from the mistake of keeping Pleat as caretaker for most of the season, which led to drift and the expectation of a big name manager (i.e. Santini rather than Jol, but well played Arnesen). Sherwood did the job of holding fort and most fans would have been happy with any replacement (in the end Poch over LVG or De Boer). If Sherwood had been caretaker and we had been speculating about the manager for 9 months, would Poch have been so welcomed?
I'd have been happy with them literally getting the caretaker in to do the job after Timmeh.

I still can't help but feel the fact that Sherwood was so 'highly thought of' at the club for so long reflects badly on Levy (and I'm a hardcore supporter of his), but I do take your point.
I agree. If i think of Levy and the way he is, all i can suggest is Levy's and Timmeh's paths didn't cross that much. I just cannot imagine the persona Sherwood gives off would appeal to Levy in any way shape or form. I've always thought Levy has a very good BS detector.

I agree. If i think of Levy and the way he is, all i can suggest is Levy's and Timmeh's paths didn't cross that much. I just cannot imagine the persona Sherwood gives off would appeal to Levy in any way shape or form. I've always thought Levy has a very good BS detector.

Completely agree - it was a very puzzling state of affairs!

surely Poch was already lined up and he was managing timmeh out of the club?

I still think the timing of the Graham sacking was poor
Agreed (with the first part of the first point). I think that Sherwood was always going to be there for only 6 months. However giving a manager a 6 month contract rarely works as the players know that the manager is only there short term which gives them the opportunity to put less than the maximum in. An 18 month contract was a happy medium in that the players couldn't act up too much and it wouldn't cost the club too much to end the contract 6 months in. IMO all that was important at the time was getting AVB out of the club. It was just about impossible for the next manager to do any worse than AVB so it made sense to have somebody come in who knew the players and those coming through from the youth setup while we waited for our next long term boss to arrive.

I think the sacking of Graham was opportunistic. I think that Levy wanted him gone but it was difficult to do as the results weren't too awful (and we had just reached the FA Cup Semi final) So Levy pounced on the first excuse that came along to be able to get rid of him.

Agreed (with the first part of the first point). I think that Sherwood was always going to be there for only 6 months. However giving a manager a 6 month contract rarely works as the players know that the manager is only there short term which gives them the opportunity to put less than the maximum in. An 18 month contract was a happy medium in that the players couldn't act up too much and it wouldn't cost the club too much to end the contract 6 months in. IMO all that was important at the time was getting AVB out of the club. It was just about impossible for the next manager to do any worse than AVB so it made sense to have somebody come in who knew the players and those coming through from the youth setup while we waited for our next long term boss to arrive.

I think the sacking of Graham was opportunistic. I think that Levy wanted him gone but it was difficult to do as the results weren't too awful (and we had just reached the FA Cup Semi final) So Levy pounced on the first excuse that came along to be able to get rid of him.

Yet timmeh managed it quite easily.

I still think the timing of the Graham sacking was poor

I was convinced for a very long time that we'd have beaten the scum in that semi had Graham been in charge.

Given Levy's record the vast majority of the time since though, I can easily let that one go. I had a much harder time with the Jol fiasco.

I was convinced for a very long time that we'd have beaten the scum in that semi had Graham been in charge.

Given Levy's record the vast majority of the time since though, I can easily let that one go. I had a much harder time with the Jol fiasco.

Both were poorly handled and the timing should have been better on both occasions.

Coz, one afternoon, he looked like he was gonna floss his bicuspids with Wenger.

1412583974717_Image_galleryImage_Arsenal_manager_Arsene_We.JPG

I'll never understand why Jol get's a free pass in the role he played in his sacking.

He hitched his skirt to Saudi Sportswashing Machine and Levy caught wind, goodbye sir and thank you. What's the problem?

Has he not said since that it was just a negotiating tactic to get a pay rise?

I'll never understand why Jol get's a free pass in the role he played in his sacking.

He hitched his skirt to Saudi Sportswashing Machine and Levy caught wind, goodbye sir and thank you. What's the problem?

Wasn't the Saudi Sportswashing Machine thing something like nine months earlier (~Jan)? There was time to get rid of him in the summer if that was the reason (a bit like with Harry).

Likely story...

Entirely likely in my opinion.

From what I recall, Jol wasn't especially well paid at the time (in relative terms, and going from memory - don't have any figures to hand) and had a strong case, based on his performance, for a decent rise. It's entirely plausible that he might have taken such action in the aim of bringing that about.

Spurs was his dream job and I do not believe for one minute he had any intention of leaving for Saudi Sportswashing Machine, few extra quid or not.

When we sacked him, as bad taste as it was, I think Jol had pretty well reached his limit all the same and so it was probably due.

And since leaving he has hardly gone on to, well, do anything even close to that level again, has he?

Back