• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Crossroads

I

All these little things have not gone our way and yet again the move has come at a bad time. We dont seem to get the breaks and do things at the right time.

I don't want to be negative but we have seen some great players come and use us as a stepping stone. We need to move stadium to compete financially so in the grand scheme of things its a good move. However the timing couldn't be any worse!

But you will anyway. :rolleyes:

Even though we will be in 4 competitions next season and in particularly we want to get beyond the group stage of the CL I still hope Poch takes the League Cup a little more seriously next season. If we get drawn against Liverpool as we did this season I think we should play a noticeably stronger team. I say this only because the league cup is the easiest trophy to win as the top teams do not take it too seriously and I think if our young team win a trophy, even if it the league cup it will give them a little confidence.

I think Pochettino is exactly the right manager to be in place while this transition is taking place.
Much of his focus has been about bolstering the mentality and self-belief of the players.
Having been working on this for a couple of years, I firmly believe that they are no going to be far more resistant to the perceived impact of playing at a different ground because they will have more confidence in their ability regardless of location. There has also been time for Pochettino to create that culture within the team that will help isolate and protect from external scrutiny. So while everyone else keeps asking the question and publicly expecting there to be a 'Wembley effect', the group can remain strong within themselves.
Oddly, it may well be that the experience of being behind Leicester in last season's run-in will also have had a formative role in steadying the ship over the coming year because there is a bit of a siege mentality and a community feel already in place from that.

Thing is to the OP, ever since BMJ took over, all our fans/media keep making "this" season the season that if we don't do "x" we will never get the chance again.

If we don't get into Europe, if we don't get 4th & CL money, if we don't keep Carrick, Keane, Berbatov, Modric, Bale, etc. if we didn't win last season, if we don't win this season, etc. Yet somehow the next season gets better, the next manager gets better, the next player gets better.

What people miss (and I really think Poch is critical to us), is what separates Spurs from every other club in the league is not the manager or the players, its how well the club all up is run, vision, strategy, finances.

Thing is to the OP, ever since BMJ took over, all our fans/media keep making "this" season the season that if we don't do "x" we will never get the chance again.

If we don't get into Europe, if we don't get 4th & CL money, if we don't keep Carrick, Keane, Berbatov, Modric, Bale, etc. if we didn't win last season, if we don't win this season, etc. Yet somehow the next season gets better, the next manager gets better, the next player gets better.

What people miss (and I really think Poch is critical to us), is what separates Spurs from every other club in the league is not the manager or the players, its how well the club all up is run, vision, strategy, finances.

Yup!

I really feel that 2-3 years back the planning was that we knew we would have a transitional time. Getting in a new Coach etc, learning his ways. We started with a young core to learn his systems. The way Poch wants us to play. But in the last 2 seasons we have maybe acheived more than we thought we could in this time, the young players have done better than we expected. Suddenly we playing wise we are ahead of our curve.

But that is not a negative. It goes to show Poch has what it takes. He moulds players. We are a team, not a bunch of individuals. When one comes out another comes in and does a job.

It is important we keep the spine of our team and continue to progress. I want the players to buy into that. But it is all about money in the end. I Think we can convince most to hang on. But into the project and then reap the rewards.

Can we win the league whilst playing at Wembley? of course. We need to get out the gates early though. Both seasons have been tough late on due to a 10 point or so gap and knowone being able to beat the teams we are up against.

Lets believe.

Let me put it this way - I'm equanimous about our stadium move. Partly because, as @jts1882 pointed out, the excitement around our future stems partially from seeing how close at hand the new stadium really is - just a season away, more or less. And partly because I feel like our unforgettable form at the Lane was *down* to it being scheduled to be demolished - the players gave more, the fans gave more and the coaching staff gave more because they all knew that the old girl was on her final bow and wanted to send it off with a bang.

I really feel that 2-3 years back the planning was that we knew we would have a transitional time. Getting in a new Coach etc, learning his ways. We started with a young core to learn his systems. The way Poch wants us to play. But in the last 2 seasons we have maybe acheived more than we thought we could in this time, the young players have done better than we expected. Suddenly we playing wise we are ahead of our curve.

But that is not a negative. It goes to show Poch has what it takes. He moulds players. We are a team, not a bunch of individuals. When one comes out another comes in and does a job.

It is important we keep the spine of our team and continue to progress. I want the players to buy into that. But it is all about money in the end. I Think we can convince most to hang on. But into the project and then reap the rewards.

Can we win the league whilst playing at Wembley? of course. We need to get out the gates early though. Both seasons have been tough late on due to a 10 point or so gap and knowone being able to beat the teams we are up against.

Lets believe.

images

Yep, I was expecting a discusion about wobbly scenery and Amy Turtle as well:rolleyes:

I think we have had a brilliant season and nine times out of ten a team would have won the league. Last season it was a freak Leicester and this season it was the machine Chelsea.

We seem to always miss out when it comes to a big crossroads for the club. Not qualifieing for the CL during the lasagna season, Redknapp flirting with the England job caused players to drop. Fulop throwing a game.

If we had performed significantly worse and scraped a top 4 finish on the last day would it have been seen as doing better at a cross road?

I think our consecutive comfortable top 4 finishes get underrated by some. Offered that 2-3 years ago I think most would have taken that in a heartbeat. We did very well to get back into a title fight from being in a top 4 fight. Leaving any doubt of a top 4 finish in our dust. How about that for a cross road? Do you think City, Liverpool, Arsenal or United would have rather taken our path at that particular cross road?

I share the OP's frustrations, I cringe when the media say we're almost there in terms of finishing top, we should have won the league last season, its no surprise too see us only 4th favourites next season, its asking a massive amount to uproot to a new stadium, hold on to all your players in todays crazy transfer windows and avoid injuries to what is a small squad compared to the other big 4/5.
I wasn't really old enough to appreciate what the Tottenham team of 87 did but the fact that's 30 years ago depresses me, its been a hell of a long time for us to become title contenders again, I may not be alive in 2047.

I share the OP's frustrations, I cringe when the media say we're almost there in terms of finishing top, we should have won the league last season, its no surprise too see us only 4th favourites next season, its asking a massive amount to uproot to a new stadium, hold on to all your players in todays crazy transfer windows and avoid injuries to what is a small squad compared to the other big 4/5.
I wasn't really old enough to appreciate what the Tottenham team of 87 did but the fact that's 30 years ago depresses me, its been a hell of a long time for us to become title contenders again, I may not be alive in 2047.

The fact that it has taken us 30 years to get back to being title contenders should tell you something about how big that particular challenge has been for the club. Yet upon achieving this your primary reaction is one of frustration?

Back