• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Cristian Romero

It’s fudging daft
But because those guys haven’t directly been at fault and because they are model pros there is higher tolerance for it
Davies was directly at fault for the Wolves equalizer and City’s first goal because he dropped deep whilst the rest of the defence were holding the line on the 18 yard box. I wasn’t totally sure at the time if he was at fault or the other players (we don’t know what they’re told to do), but it’s become pretty clear that holding the high 18 yard line is our tactic.

He’s got much better at that now though and is in sync with the rest of the defence in that regard.

This is true. But it's also true that we've shown that we can be rather good with Romero without VdV. Personally I hope we don't find out if we'd also be rather good the other way around this season.
Romero makes him look decent due to his organisation. Without Romero we see truer representation of his abilities. Davies isn't terrible but let's be real he's far from what we want in a starting CB. Unfortunately he's had to play a number of games this season.

CB pairings this season. I added the Chelsea pen to Romero and VDV even though Romero wasn't on the pitch. Seemed fair

Mins PlayedGoals Con.Goal Per 90
Romero & VDV8578 (inc Che Pen)0.84
VDV & Sanchez16631.6
Dier & VDV1200
Dier & Royal4535.9
Dier & Davies13531.99
Royal & Davies35271.78
Romero & Davies31630.85
Dier, Royal & Davies8111.25

Last edited:
CB pairings this season. I added the Chelsea pen to Romero and VDV even though Romero wasn't on the pitch. Seemed fair

VDV & Sanchez16631.6
Dier & VDV1200
Dier & Royal4535.9
Dier & Davies13531.99
Royal & Davies27072.33
Romero & Davies31630.85

So Dier and VDV is evidently the perfect pairing and it's backed up by concrete statistics! If only we'd have had both fit there'd be no goals conceded for the whole season, which is impressive. Especially as we are possibly just level with Forest for most goals conceded in 2023, but the collapses post Conte wouldn't have helped those figures.

It's always difficult to get an accurate reading of these things, I'm guessing the games with Royal and Davies would have come later on when there's been injuries / suspensions further up the pitch and as it's been discussed, the goals conceded haven't necessarily been their fault. For example it's hard to blame either of them for Kulu's early shirt swapping attempts but it still goes on their column for goals against....

So Dier and VDV is evidently the perfect pairing and it's backed up by concrete statistics! If only we'd have had both fit there'd be no goals conceded for the whole season, which is impressive.

We just need to get games down to 12 mins and we will be grand.

The Dier VDV and Dire Royal are too small a sample to go by. They were both in the Chelsea game when we had multiple different pairings due to red cards.

VDV & Sanchez16631.6
Dier & VDV1200
Dier & Royal4535.9
Dier & Davies13531.99
Royal & Davies35271.78
Romero & Davies31630.85
Dier, Royal & Davies8111.25

Interesting (and nice work) but I'd argue my observations (other than the 12 minutes, Dier is always in our worst combinations)

- VDV & Udogie are critical to the system as they are the recovery pace vs. counters (we saw plenty of it with VDV, Udogie showed it quite a bit Sunday)
- Romero stepping out kills a lot of attacks, the open play Brighton goals don't happen with Romero there
- The midfield balance is critical as well (players who are press resistant, show for the pass out from back line, and can pass quickly to wide/front, i.e. not Skipp or PEH)

Summary

- The openness of Ange's system is overplayed, have two decent CB's dealing with balls in and stepping up at right moments, covered by pace in VDV & Udogie specifically with a functional (press resistant) midfield, i.e. some combination of Bentancur, Bissouma & Sarr with the creativeness of Maddison or Lo Celso and you will score more and concede less.

It also highlights what we need to look for in incoming players -> technical, press resistant, good engine. Interestingly the Genoa kid looks a lot better in the air than anything we have, could be a bonus.

Interesting (and nice work) but I'd argue my observations (other than the 12 minutes, Dier is always in our worst combinations)

- VDV & Udogie are critical to the system as they are the recovery pace vs. counters (we saw plenty of it with VDV, Udogie showed it quite a bit Sunday)
- Romero stepping out kills a lot of attacks, the open play Brighton goals don't happen with Romero there
- The midfield balance is critical as well (players who are press resistant, show for the pass out from back line, and can pass quickly to wide/front, i.e. not Skipp or PEH)

Summary

- The openness of Ange's system is overplayed, have two decent CB's dealing with balls in and stepping up at right moments, covered by pace in VDV & Udogie specifically with a functional (press resistant) midfield, i.e. some combination of Bentancur, Bissouma & Sarr with the creativeness of Maddison or Lo Celso and you will score more and concede less.

It also highlights what we need to look for in incoming players -> technical, press resistant, good engine. Interestingly the Genoa kid looks a lot better in the air than anything we have, could be a bonus.

Absolutely. It's such an ignorant trope being wheeled out about 'Angeball' that it is this schoolboy all-out attack with no eye on defending. I expect more of professional pundits, critics, ex-pros and journalists such as Liew.

Imagine signing Dragusin after the FA Cup game but then VDV and Romero come back for United lol. I know, I know, Squad game, Cant trust Romero etc. But it'd be typical if we went out the cup and he didn't get to start

Imagine signing Dragusin after the FA Cup game but then VDV and Romero come back for United lol. I know, I know, Squad game, Cant trust Romero etc. But it'd be typical if we went out the cup and he didn't get to start

Could mean we don't rush Romero back if he settles well.

Back