• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Cristian Romero

There was no violence in the first 10 games of the season. He was calm, played with his head, and was excellent. There's no excuse for the way he ran around making stupid and dangerous tackles against Chelsea. He needs to cut it out and play as he did in those first 10 games. If he can do that then he is a world-class player, if not he could end up being a liability in the really big games.
Agree completely and this interpretation others are making that this rage inside him makes him the player he is (and therefore we have to live with those moments he boils over) are ridiculous imo.

What is more concerning is that maybe he is actually quite dumb and wont ever learn or is just unable to control the rage. I say this because he is well aware var is in operation yet does it anyway.

If he does it again I would 100% want him out. And that is a real shame.

Seen enough football in my life to know that some players are just built differently, we can call them dumb or thick or what ever nonsense but it's more an aggressive by nature than this idea its either taught or can be taught out of them.

Viera, Keane, Terry, Shearer, Gerrard all of them 100% had those tackles in or worse and more than once or twice

Seen enough football in my life to know that some players are just built differently, we can call them dumb or thick or what ever nonsense but it's more an aggressive by nature than this idea its either taught or can be taught out of them.

Viera, Keane, Terry, Shearer, Gerrard all of them 100% had those tackles in or worse and more than once or twice
Difference is there was no var back then. A lot of those players got away with murder because of it.

To keep doing it in the var age suggests he is either an idiot or unable to control himself and neither of those two possibilities are good for us.

Difference is there was no var back then. A lot of those players got away with murder because of it.

To keep doing it in the var age suggests he is either an idiot or unable to control himself and neither of those two possibilities are good for us.

We all have parts of our nature we should likely change and don't, I know I do. Now magnify it and intensify it x 10 and you have a footballer.

Not saying it's ideal I just don't buy the idea it's easily adapted or trained out or not learning from something that's intrinsic makes someone thick.

We all have parts of our nature we should likely change and don't, I know I do. Now magnify it and intensify it x 10 and you have a footballer.

Not saying it's ideal I just don't buy the idea it's easily adapted or trained out or not learning from something that's intrinsic makes someone thick.
Fair enough and actually I am hopeful the other night was a massive learning curve for him. Although him kicking out at Colwill, getting away with it and still going again by clearing the ball and having the clarity of mind to decide I’m going to simultaneously fudge this guy up (despite var being in play) really worries me.

If we are going to see this every 15 to 20 games and especially in high pressured encounters then for me we need to start work on finding a top replacement. We have shown we can identify these talents at reasonable prices so we’d just have to do it again.

It’d be a shame ofc and I hope he learns so it doesn’t come to that.

My thoughts as well, Romero plays on the edge and IF we take that out of his game he will be less of the player he is.

Love him but if he shows he isn’t learning and just keeps doing it, what choice do we have other than to cut loose and get someone else in.
Why didn't Real Madrid get rid of Ramos?
Because they knew he was a bloody good defender (and in his case, also a bloody good goalscorer), so the positive would outweigh the negative.
Romero has the potential to be world class too, and I think he will add more goals too in the future.

Why didn't Real Madrid get rid of Ramos?
Because they knew he was a bloody good defender (and in his case, also a bloody good goalscorer), so the positive would outweigh the negative.
Romero has the potential to be world class too, and I think he will add more goals too in the future.

Love romero but he is worse than useless if sent off. He needs to control his passion.

Ramos was sent off 28 times for Real Madrid. Never heard anyone call him useless.

When they were down to 10 men was he useful or worse than useless?

Roy keane said the coaches at utd told him when he was sent off he was worse than useless. Why? Because you are a man short. Having dier on the field would be better.

Roy keane said the coaches at utd told him when he was sent off he was worse than useless. Why? Because you are a man short. Having dier on the field would be better.
You are correct in that he's no use when not on the pitch, but that needs to be weighted against what he brings when he is on the pitch. You can't make a decision on something by only factoring in the negative aspects.

You are correct in that he's no use when not on the pitch, but that needs to be weighted against what he brings when he is on the pitch. You can't make a decision on something by only factoring in the negative aspects.

All i said was when he is sent off he is less than useless. So needs to control his passion.

I didn't say anything else.

Agree completely and this interpretation others are making that this rage inside him makes him the player he is (and therefore we have to live with those moments he boils over) are ridiculous imo.

What is more concerning is that maybe he is actually quite dumb and wont ever learn or is just unable to control the rage. I say this because he is well aware var is in operation yet does it anyway.

If he does it again I would 100% want him out. And that is a real shame.
not me, I'd keep him - he isn't that much of a liability, and we know where the problem is with him; he isn't dumb by any measure, but he is emotional and can be rash, that's why Micky is such a good foil for him. His red wasn't a deliberate action to injure the opponent, it was his Argentinian teammate - but when slowed down it looked like it was.

It certainly aint easy looking and getting a world class defender, far from it. Besides, he's getting older, more mature, and will learn to control his emotions looking at the whole picture, I still have a lot of faith in him.

not me, I'd keep him - he isn't that much of a liability, and we know where the problem is with him; he isn't dumb by any measure, but he is emotional and can be rash, that's why Micky is such a good foil for him. His red wasn't a deliberate action to injure the opponent, it was his Argentinian teammate - but when slowed down it looked like it was.

It certainly aint easy looking and getting a world class defender, far from it. Besides, he's getting older, more mature, and will learn to control his emotions looking at the whole picture, I still have a lot of faith in him.

Perfect footballers don't exist, the idea we are going to go out and get better is fanciful, we get worse but they don't get sent off, fine, but that's a trade off IMO.

Viera was sent off a record number of times in the PL, something like 8 or 9 in a career, Romero is on 2 (I think) and is actually not as a prolific card producer as Bentancur or Bissouma.

Yes it's annoying but cards and red card are part of the game, I take his ability over the downside every day of the week.

Sometimes I think we have been so starved of having winners at the club that having that type of player is just alien to us

And yet the teams with Ramos and Keane in did pretty darn well.

Romero isn't at their level yet. There is definitely a risk/reward calculation to make - but it isn't as simple as "he gets sent off a fair bit, bin him".
Re: "less than useless" - that is myopic. If Romero has stopped two clear goals and we win 2-1 with ten men he has clearly been incredibly useful.

Right now it feels more impactful because we had to take a risk with the squad and only have two senior starting CBs. But this is all part of the rebuild. We also expected to be about 8th right now, so having bring in Davies or Dier for a game or two would have been ok.

Instead we have all the injuries at the same time and we're exceeding expectations.

And yet the teams with Ramos and Keane in did pretty darn well.

Romero isn't at their level yet. There is definitely a risk/reward calculation to make - but it isn't as simple as "he gets sent off a fair bit, bin him".
Re: "less than useless" - that is myopic. If Romero has stopped two clear goals and we win 2-1 with ten men he has clearly been incredibly useful.

Right now it feels more impactful because we had to take a risk with the squad and only have two senior starting CBs. But this is all part of the rebuild. We also expected to be about 8th right now, so having bring in Davies or Dier for a game or two would have been ok.

Instead we have all the injuries at the same time and we're exceeding expectations.

Keane said that advice helped him control himself and be a better player.

Are you seriously suggesting this is something he can't improve on?

Keane said that advice helped him control himself and be a better player.

Are you seriously suggesting this is something he can't improve on?
Absolutely not. I brought up both the need to try to improve it and the need for a risk/reward calculation immediately after his last sending off.
That calculation has to based on current data, and change if/when improvement is seen.

Whether he can improve on it, none of us know.
Whether he needs to is the central point of the r/r calculation. If we a 3rd that isn't a huge drop off, we could easily absorb him getting two suspensions per season.

Absolutely not. I brought up both the need to try to improve it and the need for a risk/reward calculation immediately after his last sending off.
That calculation has to based on current data, and change if/when improvement is seen.

Whether he can improve on it, none of us know.
Whether he needs to is the central point of the r/r calculation. If we a 3rd that isn't a huge drop off, we could easily absorb him getting two suspensions per season.

I haven't said we should sell him. Or that he was brick. Just that is an area of his game he needs to improve on. Yes "needs" if he is to be the best he can be.

It's not just the reds he gets. It's the yellows aswell that have led to bans.

Stop being so defensive of him. You can criticise a player without thinking he's brick.

Back