• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Coronavirus

I suspect the real motivation for this means the politics thread would be a better place for this post.

The motivation is that our government has announced that they have identified a new strain that is more contagious. Closing boarders until they know more makes sense, although I suspect that it is probably already spreading outside the UK.

The motivation is that our government has announced that they have identified a new strain that is more contagious. Closing boarders until they know more makes sense, although I suspect that it is probably already spreading outside the UK.
I agree, it's probably far too late for that given the numbers here.

I think you underestimate the pettiness of many EU member states in their current mindset though. It's at least as much a political bargaining chip as it is a public health measure.

I agree, it's probably far too late for that given the numbers here.

I think you underestimate the pettiness of many EU member states in their current mindset though. It's at least as much a political bargaining chip as it is a public health measure.

Is that true of Israel and Kuwait too?

Let's hope that France doesn't close the boarder for more than 48 hours or we'll be seeing food shortages and big impacts on manufacturing.

Is that true of Israel and Kuwait too?

Let's hope that France doesn't close the boarder for more than 48 hours or we'll be seeing food shortages and big impacts on manufacturing.

This would've been the response from the rest of the world if we hadn't tried to control the virus. The economic impacts would've been off the scale.
I don't really know enough about their economic position to answer that.

I know that we can safely transport goods and materials through a pandemic though - we've been doing it for the best part of a year. Stopping leisure travel is a PH decision, stopping goods is a political one.

Trump's travel ban didn't apply to US residents, was limited to people who had been to China but was after the disease had spread to multiple countries, including the US.

Spain was the main country where we imported it from. We had months between the initial outbreak and then to develop plans for managing it. I doubt that we could've kept it out indefinitely but we could've delayed it. We could've maintained a test and isolation policy for longer, if we had kept numbers down.

The argument playing off public health and economic impact is false. The countries that have suffered the least economic impact are the ones that were proactive and lockdown early.

That's not true though, it applied to residents of specific countries whether they'd been to China or not.

I doubt that it would be a year of tier 4. The Oxford vaccine should be approved before the end of the month. That will be a lot easier to roll out but it is still a huge task vaccinating everyone that we need to and we do not know if it stops people catching it or how long it lasts.

What the government should probably do is mass testing in tier 4 areas with legally enforceable quarantine for anyone testing positive.
Knowing our government, they’d let their cronies bodge that up as well...

2M positive tests is excellent though. Must be getting near double figures once all the ones who had it before testing was readily available and asymptomatic cases are taken into account.

Just goes to show how close to immunity we could have been without the foolishness and cowardice of those demanding lockdowns.

So why do virologists and epidemiologists say that herd immunity is only achieved with a vaccine?

Back