• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Coronavirus

I think he's talking about in 1997 when Brown abolished tax relief on pension dividends which took in over 5 billion a year in the first year alone away from pensions, this led to the boom in buy to lets/housing and massively inflated prices and a massive decline in pension savings.

Bang on and better worded then me.

I got away with it by going a different way. But it destroyed my father a quiet hard working unassuming man, a solid labour man all his life could not believe a labour chancellor would do such a thing.

My son has it drummed into him, never put your money where governments can effect it. It is why i like bitcoin and the investment company freetrade.

If the level of proof you require is that high then you could say precisely the same for travel.

Seems the geniuses in UK government (and SAGE) have now realised that, they and you were talking out of their rear ends, on the subject of quarantining new international arrivals. Little bit late.

Even if that were possible in the real world...

Massive shortage of teachers in UK.

Minimum time to train a teacher = 4 years.

Average time for DBS safeguarding check to be processed = 3 months.

Weeks left of summer term = 8.

Good luck with that approach.
I know a lot of teachers.

The good ones (about 20%) would continue to work once the unions were crushed. They do the job because they care and that's what makes them good.

The rest could be replaced by non-toilet trained chimps and nobody would notice.

Seems the geniuses in UK government (and SAGE) have now realised that, they and you were talking out of their rear ends, on the subject of quarantining new international arrivals. Little bit late.
Or maybe (as they have stated) the measures would have had little to no effect at that stage and they're implementing them at the point where it will make a difference.

Or maybe (as they have stated) the measures would have had little to no effect at that stage and they're implementing them at the point where it will make a difference.
I wonder how it will make a difference now? And especially in comparison to how it might of made a difference before but didn't bother with the measure?

On the face of it it does appear a strange decision to take at this point. Even from the POV of killing the airline industry in one sentence.

Plus how will they police it, aren't they just asking arrivals to isolate in a private house?

I wonder how it will make a difference now? And especially in comparison to how it might of made a difference before but didn't bother with the measure?

On the face of it it does appear a strange decision to take at this point. Even from the POV of killing the airline industry in one sentence.

Plus how will they police it, aren't they just asking arrivals to isolate in a private house?

I know Poland isn't representative of the rest of the EU but family there said they take you phone number and address and they call you each day and you have to come to the window to prove you are home. If not you get fined heavily. No idea if the numbers of people travelling in to the UK is the same as coming into Poland 2 months ago though?

It seems in my mind that all of this probably deliberate as to achieve herd immunity the lockdown has probably worked too well in the other direction so the health system has capacity. They want it to go up again.

So it's either we stay in lockdown till a vaccine or a cure or it just disappears. Or we let it rip through society even though we have no definitive idea of how long it leaves you immune (probably 2 years)

What a absolutely mental year it has been and is going to continue to be. :-(

I suspect it's something to do with the trajectory at each time.

If R>1 then adding cases won't make much difference. If R<1 then you don't want to increase it

I'd have a far easier time accepting that had the government not put their heads down & stared at their feet on this issue back towards the beginning, when we were allowing business-as-usual arrivals from recognised hotspots.

I'd have a far easier time accepting that had the government not put their heads down & stared at their feet on this issue back towards the beginning, when we were allowing business-as-usual arrivals from recognised hotspots.
They did neither. They and their scientific advisers all made it clear that doing so would have little or no effect once the virus is already spreading in the country.

If you're suggesting a lockdown on flights in November then I'd agree with the efficacy of such an action. Beyond that, there's yet to be any evidence that it has an effect on that stage of the spread.

Back