• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Climate Change

It is a perilous position. Humans only have a certain capacity. We aren’t able to address lots of things at once.

We need an international focus on quick climate wins. When methane leaks from a few processing plants in one country equated to THE WHOLE of the UKs annual carbon emissions, there are easy things we can do.

We need to count the emissions globally, as well as nationally, and get government’s working together more.

Absolutely agree. I know Jordan Peterson decides opinion but his take, like yours is spot on IMO. There are too many unachievable targets and too many in general. Focus down on the achievable and do it globally. Take out the political lip service and do what's needed on the achievable.

The opinions from Peterson on the climate in the Rogan podcast was the biggest pile of brick I've heard.

edit: All his opinons are, except the one to tidy your room. I agree with that.

Last edited:
as you said Mr https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-65948544.amp

Just in our experiences: our summers are not what they were right? Summers in the 70s, 80s, 90s weren’t quite like this were they? No wonder the seas are getting hotter

We already have a dramatically different climate.

What we can do about it, and how we go after the ‘low-hanging fruit’, dealing with things like methane leaks? But the rate of change should alarm us and should make us ask what change we can ensure our governments take. Just buying EVs isn’t the answer. We need to ensure nation states are collaborating globally to attack the most severe drivers of climate change.
The rate of change is breaking all the predicition models unfortuantely. We've crossed a few tipping points is the consensus. I won't post any scary charts though.

One thing to keep an eye on is the court case taken by some kids in Montana against the government over the state of the climate. That might set a very interesting precedent.

The opinions from Peterson on the climate in the Rogan podcast was the biggest pile of brick I've heard.

edit: All his opinons are, except the one to tidy your room. I agree with that.

Not seen that but I do get that view, I do however agree on a global strategy on fewer points being more achievable and that the best way to achieve a real difference in climate change and to a key point being to raise people out of poverty, for me he is spot on there.

The tidy his room one is spot on, its something I heard recently that if everyone dropped a gift request at Christmas and swapped it out for a pledge of a moment of change in life that benefitted society we would be in a better place as a human race for little or no effort.

Not seen that but I do get that view, I do however agree on a global strategy on fewer points being more achievable and that the best way to achieve a real difference in climate change and to a key point being to raise people out of poverty, for me he is spot on there.

The tidy his room one is spot on, its something I heard recently that if everyone dropped a gift request at Christmas and swapped it out for a pledge of a moment of change in life that benefitted society we would be in a better place as a human race for little or no effort.
I've not heard it fully myself except for the bits where he was widely mocked by nearly every climate scientist on the planet. I'm not that interested in anything he says really.

Problem is no one has actually said in simple language what humans need to do by way of life changes. I think people understand recycling, electric cars etc but realistically to achieve the reductions needed people would need to stop flying, get off gas heating, cut 50% off meat from their diet etc but no government is going to come out and say that.

There's lots of simple changes that could help though - I mean why are new build houses being built with gas heating, why don't they all include solar panels etc. The whole thing about burning gas to generate electricity needs to stop - we're still dallying about building another nuclear plant, it's so obvious they're needed we should be aiming for 2 or 3 more not squabbling over 1.
That's because if it was explained to people what they really had to do, they would lose all support.

Same as with govt spending. Ask people if the NHS budget should be higher, you get an 80%+ agreement. Ask people if they would want their taxes increased by the amount required to pay for it, the number flips.

That's because if it was explained to people what they really had to do, they would lose all support.

Same as with govt spending. Ask people if the NHS budget should be higher, you get an 80%+ agreement. Ask people if they would want their taxes increased by the amount required to pay for it, the number flips.

What is it we have to really do though? Cut subsidies for fossil fuels? Move those to more environmentally friendly forms of energy?

Use more nuclear energy?

Increase public transportation?

Lets face it there are only a few countries in the world that really need to change their behaviour. There is enough clean energy to fulfill our needs. Just needs to become a tad more profitable then everyone shifts. We put a man on the moon by using hydrogen.

What is it we have to really do though? Cut subsidies for fossil fuels? Move those to more environmentally friendly forms of energy?

Use more nuclear energy?

Lets face it there are only a few countries in the world that really need to change their behaviour. There is enough clean energy to fulfill our needs. Just needs to become a tad more profitable then everyone shifts. We put a man on the moon by using hydrogen.
Whatever the answer is, it has to be at least as good and as cheap as the alternatives.

EVs fall well short of cars still and cost significantly more for all but a few people. Public transport is a fudging horror show. AFAIK air transport is quite a way from being anything resembling carbon neutral and there's certainly no way of cramming more people in.

Tackling climate change requires the general masses to buy in and people won't if they're expected to wear hair shirts.

Use more nuclear energy?

Absolutely did not happen.

Whatever the answer is, it has to be at least as good and as cheap as the alternatives.

EVs fall well short of cars still and cost significantly more for all but a few people. Public transport is a fudging horror show. AFAIK air transport is quite a way from being anything resembling carbon neutral and there's certainly no way of cramming more people in.

Tackling climate change requires the general masses to buy in and people won't if they're expected to wear hair shirts.

I agree it shouldn't be down to the consumer. Governments and businesses need to come up with viable alternatives.

The whole carbon footprint bs was thought up by bp to try and confuse that.

Getting a bit hot out in Italy. We are off there in a months time,hope it cools down.

My son and his girlfriend are in Paris at the moment. Asked him if he was enjoying it. I said it was dirty, he's left wing like all stupid youngsters. But he said the were gangs of people running up and down the roads pestering tourists. Hmm, coming our way I guess.

Getting a bit hot out in Italy. We are off there in a months time,hope it cools down.

My son and his girlfriend are in Paris at the moment. Asked him if he was enjoying it. I said it was dirty, he's left wing like all stupid youngsters. But he said the were gangs of people running up and down the roads pestering tourists. Hmm, coming our way I guess.
Amazed they are not all on strike or rioting over something, seems to be a national pastime of the French

The world is half a degree warmer, but it feels more doesn’t it? Could be El Niño pushing temperatures higher still this year.

Two things are concerning: the speed of global heating and the inability of humans to coordinate globally to try and address it. If warming continues at the same rate the challenges our kids and grand kids could face might put any challenges we’ve seen or encountered into the shade.

I wouldn’t be concerned if nations were coordinating and things were changing. Humans have the ability to measure and affect the atmosphere now. But you get the impression emissions are probably worse than ever with more humans in the world, and developing global middle classes.

The world is half a degree warmer, but it feels more doesn’t it? Could be El Niño pushing temperatures higher still this year.
El Nino’s are a pretty regular occurrence though, it’s not like it’s a one off. Sorry if I’ve misunderstood your point?

Back