• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Classic Signings - Robbie Keane

One thing others might remember was that this was also the day our bigger (£10m) deal for Morientes collapsed (see: https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...m-close-in-on-morientes-and-keane-175215.html, but Hoddle has also spoken in interviews about it). Hoddle's plan had been to bring them both in as a new partnership.

So even though Keane went on to be brilliant for us, this day itself was actually one of quite significant disappointment.

Last edited:
I think that is bizarre, of the four, surely it's just a toss up between the two Keane's for who was the best player in the shirt.

More caps than anyone else, three times as many goals as anyone else, should have a statue outside Supermacs.
Paul McGrath and Brady were brilliant for Ireland. Could make a case for any of them being Ireland's best player.
If there was a vote amongst Ireland fans I'd say McGrath would win it comfortably.

Paul McGrath and Brady were brilliant for Ireland. Could make a case for any of them being Ireland's best player.
If there was a vote amongst Ireland fans I'd say McGrath would win it comfortably.
He was in a worse period (too old by Italia 90), but Kevin Sheedy was a fantastic player too

He was in a worse period (too old by Italia 90), but Kevin Sheedy was a fantastic player too

He's the reason why my childhood friend became an Everton fan.

We've been lucky enough to have Kane and Son more recently but Berbatov and Keane formed an absolutely brilliant partnership. So much so that, despite all their talent, they never were quite the same after they broke up!

Another game that sticks in the mind was beating Everton 5-2. Dean Marney got a couple and looked like a diamond. Keane only scored one but played so well and should have had a hat-trick. He and Kanoute were unstoppable that day, 9-2 would not have flattered us

Yeah he’s getting a lot of stick for it over here from a few politicians.

He’s not really very popular in Ireland considering what a great player he was and the mind boggling number of goals he scored for his country. Personally, and not just because of the Spurs connection, I always liked Robbie and thought he was a very very good player.

Bizarre he isn’t held in the same regard over here as the likes of Paul McGrath, Roy Keane, Liam Brady and others.
Spurs fans dislike him for scarpering to Liverpool and coming back with his tail tucked between his legs.
And for his constant moaning and pointing. Always someone else's fault. We called him pointy shouty. He was worse than Hojbjerg for this.

We had such a great list of strikers over the last 30 years - from Lineker to Sheringham, Klinsmann onto Sir Les, Mido into Pav, Crouch, Keane, Defoe, Berbatov, Kane and Son - considering whose graced the 9/10/11 positions we really have been unlucky not to win more.

We had such a great list of strikers over the last 30 years - from Lineker to Sheringham, Klinsmann onto Sir Les, Mido into Pav, Crouch, Keane, Defoe, Berbatov, Kane and Son - considering whose graced the 9/10/11 positions we really have been unlucky not to win more.
They were typically in mediocre teams, we've always needed a bit more to make out teams serious.

a good manager of the famous five team would have won stuff with that team and 1 more centre half!!!
Gerry Francis did pretty well to be fair when he came in that season. The likes of Popescu and Howells really added balance to the midfield whereas Mabbs, Calderwood and Campbell at left back were fairly solid. For me, the problem was in goal, the squad depth and, like you say, maybe a CB.

a good manager of the famous five team would have won stuff with that team and 1 more centre half!!!
The famous 5 was probably the best of it but iirc we were rather comically unbalanced and like you say the defence wasn't the best.

I have a little story of my own.

Before I start don't judge too harshly because this was in 2011. I would have been a young 18 at this point!

So I live in Newmarket in Suffolk. Nothing ever happens besides hose racing.

But one night me and y friends heard heard that West Ham were at the local nightclub because they had been doing some kind of team bonding assault course stuff a few miles away.

We went outside to look for autographs. My best mate was especially keen on getting Rob Green's autograph. I said 'I don't know why you'd want his autograph, he's a clam.' My mate was adamant he wanted to get an autograph from Rob Green.

It was like 2AM, me and my friends were drinking cans of Stella. Many players leaving like Wayne Bridge, Piquoneie etc... I couldn't give a toss about any of them.

Rob Green eventually came comes out and my mate asks him for an autograph. Rob Green says 'No' looking completely disinterested. My mate says 'why not'. Rob Green says 'because you've got those!' pointing to cans of beer. As if that's a reason to deny giving someone and autograph :oops::rolleyes:

Seeing how gutted my mate, being 18 years old and tinkled out my head, and having not forgotten about the World Cup a few months before and Green's goalkeeping against the US a few months before, I was clutching my hands together and screaming at Rob Green 'Next time just catch the fudging ball you daft clam. It's not fudging hard. Just catch the bloody thing. Don't slap it in. Jus catch it.'

At this point I was being warned by the door staff that I couldn't do anything like that again. I said fair enough but he's just been rude to us! Doorstaff agreed that he seemed like a nob but just said don't do anything like that again.

Not long after who comes out but Robbie Keane! My idol growing up as a kid!

I said 'Oh my fudging GHod its Keano!'

Robbie just says 'Got some beers there have you boys?'

I said 'Yeah do you want one?!'

He nods his head so I pass him one and he cracks it open.

After that he waited for his taxi having a beer with us both and we just chatted about Tottenham, him being out on loan and whether he might ome back.

This barely lasted any amount of time and was probably dull and boring, but till this day still cannot believe I had a beer with Robbie Keane

Back