• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Circus ManUnitus - Erik's At The Wheel

Yeah, they're a very direct team. Watching the game yesterday, I couldn't help but think it went against them. There were too many aimless balls that actually cut out some of their best players like Di Maria and Mata and meant they struggled to get in the game. Saints used the ball better as a result and Utd struggled to break them down all game.

To be honest, i know they're still above us in the table and we lost to Palace on Saturday, but I actually think that Poch is ahead of LVG in terms of developing the teams they inherited. United look so disjointed and just seem to have got by on the individual brilliance of a lot of their players. I actually think we look a better team with Bentaleb, Mason, Kane, Chadli and all than they do with Rooney, RVP, Falcao, Blind, Di Maria, Mata etc.

Is it me or does LVG talk a load of old crap???

The decision on Falcao was strange and his explanation was worse. As for saying Southampton were lucky, no they did a proper job on you

Falcao, whats everyones view on him so far? Im yet to be convinced...

Reminds me of Soldado actually. I honestly believe he'd struggle if he played for us. Then again I feel like alot of our players would look like stars at City or a Chelsea.

In regards to Manchester Utd, I loved the way they played under Fergie.

Efficenct would be the word I'd use. They could be roughness when they wanted to turn it on. They could play long ball with the best, they could battle with the best, they could play one touch football with the best, whenever it suited Fergie and his team. He had players of skill and silk mixed with hardworking footballers who could do a consistent job. Giggs' with the Irwins. Ronaldos with the Parks.

In all honesty I haven't seen any team like it and probably won't again. But LVGs team despite how many STARS they have, aren't even a patch on Man Utd of old that had the likes of wes brown, John o Shea or a Darren Fletcher in there.

I agree mumorn, under Fergie at times they were perfect, pragmatic to the maximum but from players of the highest quality

I only watched tha last 30 minutes and if I didn't know better, I'd have thought it was a re-run of a 4 year old Stoke game. All they did was bashing long balls and crosses from every possible and impossible angle, hoping for the best.
Looked like a typical bottom/championship approach. Pathetic really.

In regards to Manchester Utd, I loved the way they played under Fergie.

Efficenct would be the word I'd use. They could be roughness when they wanted to turn it on. They could play long ball with the best, they could battle with the best, they could play one touch football with the best, whenever it suited Fergie and his team. He had players of skill and silk mixed with hardworking footballers who could do a consistent job. Giggs' with the Irwins. Ronaldos with the Parks.

In all honesty I haven't seen any team like it and probably won't again. But LVGs team despite how many STARS they have, aren't even a patch on Man Utd of old that had the likes of wes brown, John o Shea or a Darren Fletcher in there.

I agree with most of what you say, but they were put to the test by Barca (granted in the later stages of Fergie's career) not once, but twice. It is impossible to argue with what Feruson's teams acheived, and your right about the efficient aspect of their game. They were completely adaptable to do what was necessary.

That said however, I don't think they had a style of play that you could say defined his management, nor defined the club. It was the dogged attitude instilled in the team instead. That is why the club are struggling to replace him. If Ajax lost Frank De Boer tomorrow, the replacement would inherit a team that knew what style to play. The club has an identity that was formed in the late 60's, and there is an expectation to attempt to replicate that. Manchester United don't have that. Not many people in football know how Fergie achieved what he did with a squad full of squad players, as there wasn't a distinctive style to replicate.

His trophy cabinet proves that a style of play isn't necessary, however the struggling 18 months since his departure highlight that one could be beneificial for continuity purposes.

they were tested by barca quite a few times under Fergie, one of them was a third European final, which he won

Is it me or does LVG talk a load of old crap???

The decision on Falcao was strange and his explanation was worse. As for saying Southampton were lucky, no they did a proper job on you

his english is surprisingly poor for a dutchman

Reminds me of Soldado actually. I honestly believe he'd struggle if he played for us. Then again I feel like alot of our players would look like stars at City or a Chelsea.

Yep, Falcao actually gets to the right place quite a bit (like Bobby), but fails to put it away

Van Gaal was subjected to prolonged chants of “4-4-2” by United’s travelling fans during last Saturday's Premier League encounter with Queens Park Rangers, which resulted in a 2-0 victory after the former Ajax, Barcelona and Bayern Munich coach abandoned 3-5-2 at half-time.

Van Gaal has switched between the two formations this season with mixed results, but while the Dutchman concedes his players remain “uncomfortable” playing 3-5-2, he insists that 4-4-2 leads to anxiety on the bench due to the team’s inability to defend properly in that formation.

“I know that with 4-4-2, the stats are showing positive results,” Van Gaal said. “We have won more games playing 4-4-2 with a diamond, but when you analyse the game, we have twitched our ass on the bench.

“I said to my players I was squeezing my ass, but it was the wrong expression – I have twitched my ass on the bench because we were out of balance.

“When you go back to the press conferences at the time, I have said that we are not in balance [with 4-4-2]. We lost the game against Leicester City 5-3 and that was undeserved, and all the matches when we played 4-4-2, like against West Ham United, it was always twitching your ass and I don’t like it.

“But maybe then you see, after I switch the system, we have won nine or 10 in a row. Then we lose one match [against Southampton] and the discussion about the system is coming, so it is ridiculous.”

Van Gaal’s search for a reliable system which enables United to attack with vigour and defend with conviction has led the manager to deploy players out of position in an effort to make the formation work.

Ashley Young, who is sidelined with a hamstring injury, has impressed after being converted to a wing-back, but £59.7 million British-record signing Ángel di María has appeared lost while playing in a central striker role as opposed to his usual attacking midfield position.

“He [Di María] played in the 4-4-2 in the left midfield position,” Van Gaal said. “In the 3-5-2, he does not play so much because he has been injured. But he came back and I tried him as a striker because we need also pace in our striker’s position.

“We have to stretch the pitch – that is also an important aspect of a striker that he can stretch the pitch – and then you make the pitch bigger and your midfielders can play in a bigger space and play a better positional game. I tried that because I didn’t have the preparation time at the beginning of the season.

“Nevertheless, in the last 15 games, we only lost one and that was undeserved. We were the better team. But the players are still not comfortable [with 3-5-2) and it is very important that they are comfortable.

“I would like them to feel more comfortable, but we have to do our preparation in the season, so we are doing a lot of things during the matches.”

Despite the scrutiny and criticism he has been forced to bear from the club’s supporters and former players including Gary Neville, who claimed 3-5-2 was too slow and risk averse, Van Gaal insists he will not change his approach.

“I have to take into account 600 million opinions?” Van Gaal said. “I have to communicate with my players, observe and analyse my players and my opponent and then I have to make a decision with my staff.

“But I cannot hear or listen to what the media are writing or what other people are saying or writing because they are never at the training ground and not attending the meetings.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-united/11364211/Louis-van-Gaal-says-playing-a-4-4-2-with-Manchester-United-twitches-my-ass-because-side-is-out-of-balance.html

:-k

At first, I was disappointed that we missed out on LVG. I thought that he would be excellent for us & really steer us towards success. Now though, it seems like we steered clear of a bullet! Considering the attacking strengths that Manchester United possess, their attacking play is awful and the decision not to improve defensively, whilst signing so many midfielders, is questionable. I'd go as far as to say that, whilst he's a good player, Manchester United's purchase of Di Maria was a strange one. He's a very good player but, he's not what they needed. So, to buy him, seemingly at the expense of improving elsewhere was akin to bringing in another striker when they already had a good supply of then..what's that? They did that too! Jokes.

Back