• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Christian Eriksen

But when we play him there he's often ineffective.

I wanted to see him move centrally in the summer, but agree that he looks much less effective having played a few games there early on this season - could he play off the right, similarly to how he is off the left atm? Chadli left Eriksen right could be the way to go for the time being if so

Right now I would play Azza right, Eriksen left, Kane in the hole and Nobby...if Nobby's not doing a thing (easy out there!), off he goes and bring on Moussa to play either the 10 spot or left, kane goes up top and Eriksen moves appropriate to those shifts. n.b. Moussa only works when he's in that hole up top or playing on the left. He ghosted past his man on the left yesterday and popped in a decent ball. I think that's where he can survive in this squad. He slows it down too much when deeper.

Eriksen needs to receive the ball in positions where he can make things happen. In the #10 position he gets the ball too far forward, in too tight spaces, to be a playmaker.

I remember watching us get beat by West Brom. In the last 10/15 minutes or so we went 4-4-2, Lennon came on for Capoue, and Eriksen came into the centre kicking towards the end where I was sitting. We looked a different side. Suddenly the whole dynamic of the game changed and I thought we would equalise. He thrives by being on the ball, he makes play tick over, but most important of all he see quick passes forward -he passes with a purpose. (And he scores goals)

There is no reason why he can't play deeper in the middle. He can cover the ground as the stats from Swansea show. He can influence the game from there. And he will still score goals.
Aaron Ramsey got played in various positions until Arteta's injury forced Wenger to play him as deeper midfielder. Fabregas is an example of a player who was considered too lightweight to play CM and fill Viera's spot - but he hasn't done too badly as playmaker and goalscorer.

Eriksen could be as good in the centre, it would take a regular run out there, and there is bound to be the odd bad performance, but he is quality, and that is where I think he should play -and will end up playing eventually, even if not with us.

I've said this before, we don't have any world class outfield players, but Eriksen is the closest thing we have to one. He may have quiet spells in games, but we're a top 6/midtable side and most of our players go missing for large periods of the game. The difference is, Eriksen can still produce goals and moments of magic even when he is playing poor.

we need to accomodate him in a free role as he gets closed down too far easily.

with Poch's ethos we need him in defence and attack and he can't really do that like how harry kane does.

he may be our best option right now, but leaves us vulnerable as we look toothless in attack until he decides to show up.

I've said this before, we don't have any world class outfield players, but Eriksen is the closest thing we have to one. He may have quiet spells in games, but we're a top 6/midtable side and most of our players go missing for large periods of the game. The difference is, Eriksen can still produce goals and moments of magic even when he is playing poor.

That's why he is our most important outfield player and needs to be playing where he can best influence the game

Christian Eriksen: Tottenham’s late winners down to raised fitness | Football | The Guardian
Eriksen came up with an 89th-minute winner in the 2-1 victory at Swansea City on Sunday to maintain Spurs’ recent fine away form and take Mauricio Pochettino’s side up to seventh in the table.

The Danish midfielder scored an even later winner at Hull City last month in another 2-1 win and Tottenham also scored twice in the final six minutes to overturn a 1-0 deficit at Aston Villa at the start of November.

“You see the last few games and we’re still 100% ready to go at the end of the game,” Eriksen said. “Before we wouldn’t have been fit enough to go the whole game. There were periods when they had the ball and we had to play different but we had the confidence and the power to keep going for 90 minutes. I think everybody would rather win a little bit earlier but it does give us an extra feeling.”

Christian Eriksen and Harry Kane are Tottenham's marathon men | Daily Mail Online
Mauricio Pochettino wants his Tottenham team to defend from the front and both Harry Kane and Christian Eriksen are getting the message.

The two young forwards scored a goal each in the 2-1 win at Swansea but it was their work rate that helped make sure Spurs survived a furious second half onslaught.

Kane and Eriksen both ran 8.2 miles in the 90 minutes – putting them jointly into second place behind Hull's George Boyd for the furthest distance covered by any Premier League player this season.

Right now I would play Azza right, Eriksen left, Kane in the hole and Nobby...if Nobby's not doing a thing (easy out there!), off he goes and bring on Moussa to play either the 10 spot or left, kane goes up top and Eriksen moves appropriate to those shifts. n.b. Moussa only works when he's in that hole up top or playing on the left. He ghosted past his man on the left yesterday and popped in a decent ball. I think that's where he can survive in this squad. He slows it down too much when deeper.

I agree with that. Eriksen is our most creative player and towards the end of games should be more central to orchestrate matters when more space appears. I also think Dembele is best in a more forward position.

so more people are buying into the wonky now eh?

where is KD to revel in his insight. Boy was right there championing this from the start

I wanted to see him move centrally in the summer, but agree that he looks much less effective having played a few games there early on this season - could he play off the right, similarly to how he is off the left atm? Chadli left Eriksen right could be the way to go for the time being if so

You're right. He's looked more effective after Chadli has been out and Kane (primarily) has been playing centrally meaning that Eriksen has more or less taken up Chadli's old position (obviously still some interchanging going on).

Been his best period under Poch. Eriksen seems happy, at least he's working his socks off every game. I don't get why people are so eager to change this when it's obviously working well.

I'd have Chadli on the right, Kane centre, Eriksen left.

Chadli showed against Villa in the second half primarily he can play on the right...

Christian Eriksen is reportedly attracting attention from a several top clubs around Europe after a fine start to the season with Tottenham.

The Danish international joined Spurs in August 2013 and is already being linked with an exit from White Hart Lane, with six goals in 18 appearances from midfield this term.

According to Danish newspaper BT, the likes of Paris Saint-Germain, AC Milan and Borussia Dortmund are all lining up bids for the 22-year-old, while Liverpool are also said to be interested, despite turning down the chance to sign him from Ajax two years ago.

Ernesto Bronzetti, an agent who does not represent Eriksen, broke the story to the Danish media, although said he is not certain whether Spurs would be willing to sell, even for the reported fee of £32m.

‘It is very common that when a young player performs at that level, and [he] becomes such a critical factor in a highly volatile team in the Premier League, it will be the biggest clubs knocking on the door next time. As for Tottenham’s interest in selling [Eriksen], I hasten to say that I have no knowledge of that,’ he said.

‘Levy is a skilled negotiator and is known to get the maximum price of Tottenham’s best players. So it is quite certain that a player like Eriksen will not be cheap.’

http://metro.co.uk/2014/12/16/liverpool-among-numerous-elite-clubs-chasing-tottenhams-christian-eriksen-4988899/

Nothing more than speculation brought on by the fact he's not at a Champions League club already. Blanc said he admired him, but I don't see Eriksen going there, nor do I think he would go to Dortmund with the club in the position it's in at the moment and Klopp seemingly open to a move away.

Christian Eriksen is reportedly attracting attention from a several top clubs around Europe after a fine start to the season with Tottenham.

The Danish international joined Spurs in August 2013 and is already being linked with an exit from White Hart Lane, with six goals in 18 appearances from midfield this term.

According to Danish newspaper BT, the likes of Paris Saint-Germain, AC Milan and Borussia Dortmund are all lining up bids for the 22-year-old, while Liverpool are also said to be interested, despite turning down the chance to sign him from Ajax two years ago.

Ernesto Bronzetti, an agent who does not represent Eriksen, broke the story to the Danish media, although said he is not certain whether Spurs would be willing to sell, even for the reported fee of £32m.

‘It is very common that when a young player performs at that level, and [he] becomes such a critical factor in a highly volatile team in the Premier League, it will be the biggest clubs knocking on the door next time. As for Tottenham’s interest in selling [Eriksen], I hasten to say that I have no knowledge of that,’ he said.

‘Levy is a skilled negotiator and is known to get the maximum price of Tottenham’s best players. So it is quite certain that a player like Eriksen will not be cheap.’

http://metro.co.uk/2014/12/16/liverpool-among-numerous-elite-clubs-chasing-tottenhams-christian-eriksen-4988899/

How bad a story is this. A random agent who has admitted he knows nothing at all has some idle speculation about a player. Really? That's the best they could come up with.

And they included Liverpool as a top European club ;)

How bad a story is this. A random agent who has admitted he knows nothing at all has some idle speculation about a player. Really? That's the best they could come up with.

And they included Liverpool as a top European club ;)

Well the is no was AC Milan are a top European club, not any more. I say that as some one who follows them as their Italian team.

Wonky with two forwards please for vertical penetration.

Given that 'the wonky' has been revived as a concept, let's call it that for now.

For the record I have consistently said I don't think Eriksen is ready for the #10, and I still don't think it's his best position.

What I hope for long-term involves Eriksen playing deeper with Bentaleb (I hope for the day we do NOT need two defensive shield midfielders) a flourishing, confident and bountiful Lamela on the left, a gleeful, fizzy-Azza on the right, Kane in the hole and Nobby upfront. In this scenario I think Eriksen and Lamela could play together (I do not think they can play in the same 'tight' three up top) as Eriksen would receive the ball in lots of space/be able to prompt from deep. If pressed, he can release quickly to faster up top/out-wide and move appropriately.

...if Erik isn't working, then it is clear we need a left-sided wide man. I have often wondered whether (until such a time as we buy the quality) Rose could function in such a role ahead of Ben Davis? Ben is more defensive-minded, and Rose began his career as a winger. I wonder...

Back