• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Christian Eriksen

Massively agree with this from ESPN, if one of someone from our camp has given this quote, I don't particularly blame them. As I've said, I think our rate of progress have confused players who were a part of Spurs when we were 6th, and don't really get that there aren't many better options. But I don't think Eriksen has played this particularly well.

https://www.espn.co.uk/football/tot...ave-tottenhambut-is-he-better-off-staying-put

Eriksen is still a Tottenham player, but his head and heart are set on playing for somebody else. Yet just like Paul Pogba at Manchester United, who is also keen to make the move to Real, Eriksen has discovered that there is not quite the appetite, or financial capability, at the other end to get a deal done.

Tottenham manager Mauricio Pochettino has been unable to state categorically in recent weeks that Eriksen will not be sold before Europe's transfer deadline on Sept. 2. But sources have told ESPN FC that there is a sense of bemusement at Spurs over the midfielder's mindset, because there has been little sign of genuine interest from Real, Barca or Juventus.

Eriksen, it seems, is holding out for a deal that shows little sign of happening. Spurs are prepared to hand him a new contract worth £200,000 a week, which would tie him to the club until his early 30s, but he has shown no interest in even discussing the terms on offer.

Its time to move on without him. That much is clear.

There isnt a benefit to keeping him as a key player. His head and heart arent in it, and every time we play him we arent playing someone else who we will no doubt be looking to rely on once Eriksen does actually leave.

Time to start playing as if he isnt here, building new partnerships and dynamics with the committed players we have.

Saudi Sportswashing Machine this week is as good a time as any to try and blood something new.

I also don't think the implications of leaving on a free are particularly well thought-through by him or his camp either. It only means mega money if the club he is going to views him as a key player. Otherwise they aren't going to do harm to their own wage structure just because he came in without a transfer fee.

Maybe Real need a Modric replacement but they are probably better players who can play the deep lying role than Eriksen - and they probably want someone with more consistent output to play one of the attacking slots.

I also don't think the implications of leaving on a free are particularly well thought-through by him or his camp either. It only means mega money if the club he is going to views him as a key player. Otherwise they aren't going to do harm to their own wage structure just because he came in without a transfer fee.

Maybe Real need a Modric replacement but they are probably better players who can play the deep lying role than Eriksen - and they probably want someone with more consistent output to play one of the attacking slots.

agreed, every poor game this season drops the salary he can expect

agreed, every poor game this season drops the salary he can expect
On the plus side that's a motivation to play absolutely to his best for the duration.
Whatever, I just don't hold with this notion that because he has said he wants to try something else he's no longer any use to us. Like all footballers he has good games and bad. His first two games of the season have been a graphic illustration of that,

Damn it all he could still be the difference between winning some silverware and not.

I think Ramsey’s reported deal may have turned his head on the free transfer front. Also it may be that salary isn’t his motivation but being able to pick he club he goes to as they won’t have to get past Levy? Ditto Toby.

Personally I’d love him to stay and have genuine competition for his place. Either way I think the stadium build constraints meant Levy didn’t cash in when he had 2 years left as his value as an established member of the team was deemed more than the difficulty of us trying to replace him at the time. I don’t think we’d end up in this position with a player of his age and quality again.

Any player on a free is going to get a better wage than if they are being transferred for a fee.

Its possible that financial benefit comes as a signing on payment or something, but regardless if Eriksen sits out his contract this season he will get bigger money wherever he goes next.

I think Ramsey’s reported deal may have turned his head on the free transfer front. Also it may be that salary isn’t his motivation but being able to pick he club he goes to as they won’t have to get past Levy? Ditto Toby.

Personally I’d love him to stay and have genuine competition for his place. Either way I think the stadium build constraints meant Levy didn’t cash in when he had 2 years left as his value as an established member of the team was deemed more than the difficulty of us trying to replace him at the time. I don’t think we’d end up in this position with a player of his age and quality again.

I think if we were really over a barrel with it he wouldn't have demanded the silly money he did last summer. We clearly wanted to price him out of a move knowing we'd be in this position this summer...I can totally buy there is bemusement from the Spurs side though given that there are no offers forthcoming.

Any player on a free is going to get a better wage than if they are being transferred for a fee.

Its possible that financial benefit comes as a signing on payment or something, but regardless if Eriksen sits out his contract this season he will get bigger money wherever he goes next.

It depends though how important the club views him in their squad. If we are for example offering him £200k we can either him something of a sign on too. Other clubs will have a higher wage structure than ours, but they'd still have to put him high enough in it to really help him make up the money. This is a player they aren't really fussed about moving on now, and seemingly may want to 'take a punt' next summer - maybe he gets Ramsey wages if he is super important to wherever he is going but maybe he's actually not that important and no club comes up with the goods that far beyond what he can get with us. I'm pretty confident Arsenal's reported £300k wage to Ozil is going to be made up in part of a big sign on bonus.

It's a werid one. On the one hand, if you look at the NBA. the Raptors won the title knowing Leonard was only with them for a year. This whole idea of having to count a player out because they have 1 year remaining I don't think needs to happen in this era where clubs have more money and are probably more happy than they were to let contracts run, and players are looking to take back power. On the other hand, Eriksen's motivations are just strange....if he did sign back up with us I'd have to trust that Poch thinks he is as comitted as he could be.

Basically what I'm saying is if he goes somewhere as a squad player, I don't know that he's going to make the mega-money he expects.

Of course he will. The sort of club he will go to will be a big boy. Will pay big wages. And by default, being on a free, he will get a premium rate.

And if he doesn't work out great any club that takes him can sell him on for £50m EASILY, it's a no lose thing...

Starting to look desperate and silly now.
Only wants barca, then barca or RM, then Spain, now only Spain or juve.
No one is exactly beating our door down for him either.

I think if we were really over a barrel with it he wouldn't have demanded the silly money he did last summer. We clearly wanted to price him out of a move knowing we'd be in this position this summer...I can totally buy there is bemusement from the Spurs side though given that there are no offers forthcoming.
Especially when you look at the Hazard deal. I still can’t fathom how he commanded such a big fee with only a year left

Its time to move on without him. That much is clear.

There isnt a benefit to keeping him as a key player. His head and heart arent in it, and every time we play him we arent playing someone else who we will no doubt be looking to rely on once Eriksen does actually leave.

Time to start playing as if he isnt here, building new partnerships and dynamics with the committed players we have.

I see you have changed your tune from our discussions from a few weeks ago

Starting to look desperate and silly now.
Only wants barca, then barca or RM, then Spain, now only Spain or juve.
No one is exactly beating our door down for him either.

Which suits him very well. He signs for Juventus or Madrid on a free next summer, now that is what I would do. He is not a Spurs fan like us so why would should he care if we lost out on a transfer fee. We all know Levy only does what is best for us, so Eriksen wilt do what is best for him.

Which suits him very well. He signs for Juventus or Madrid on a free next summer, now that is what I would do. He is not a Spurs fan like us so why would should he care if we lost out on a transfer fee. We all know Levy only does what is best for us, so Eriksen wilt do what is best for him.

Don't blame him for doing or his treatment of us as a club, but he shouldn't have been so specific in his preferences publicly.
Especially after turning down utd, now unless he is picked up by barca, unlikely imho, or Madrid it will look like wherever else he ends will be at best second choice.

The thing is, if “bigger clubs” wanted him, surely they would have had a punt anyway, why waste a year without him for what would be an insignificant fee?

Back