• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Christian Benteke

If (if, and it's a pretty big if) Stambouli gets sold to Watford or whomever, I'd be very interested in hearing what you make of that: after all, there's a player that was apparently within our absurdly, pathetically-low 'pain threshold' for cost, and who was signed as a replacement for a player Poch most definitely did want. And yet, lo and behold, he gets packed off to Watford or whomever with nary a look-in after just a year at the club. Surely that doesn't fit your idea of how Poch should ideally behave (evil man, shipping out what he possibly sees as a stupidly cheap attempt at 'backing' him), so, again, I'd be very interested to see how you'd fit that into your expectations of the man.

Needless to say, I heartily disagree with the rest of your post. :p It seems almost sadistic to force a manager who already plays and develops youth-teamers more than his contemporaries at other PL clubs to also accept the cheapest, most low-cost signings possible in lieu of the few high-class players he desperately does want (so we can make a healthy profit in the window, as per usual these days), and then expect him to be gleeful about that arrangement just because we picked up a scout he liked and employed him.

IIRC I said something similar last summer, I'm almost certain I said to early last season at least.

I think it made a lot of sense to look for a top class target like Schneiderlin for central midfield last season. He looked perfect, PL experience, played under Poch, right age, right type of player, seemingly not heavily targeted by the biggest clubs. There might have been other on the list after him that would have been perfect or close to perfect, but I doubt there were many.

For whatever reason we didn't get Schneiderlin, or any "top class" CM target. You will paint that as Levy not going for Pochettino's target, or vetoing a move, not being willing to spend the cash etc. I think it's at least somewhat likely that there was some agreement within the transfer committee that a ceiling of X would be the most we would want to pay for Schneiderlin and it turned out he wasn't gettable for that. No way to know what happened behind closed doors.

Either way, we didn't get him, or any "top class target". At this point I think it made a lot of sense to look to Bentaleb as an outstanding talent and put a lot of trust and playing time in his hands. Bring in a capable backup/squad option that might surprise and make the step up, but will at least be able to do a job (as Stambouli did when Bentaleb was away for the ACN). The "much of a muchness" quote from Sherwood did ring true to me. The absolute last thing we needed was another £10-15m central midfielder not much better than what we had again needing time to adjust and adapt whilst keeping Bentaleb (a real talent) on the bench.

Plan A: Get Schneiderlin
Plan B: Trust in Bentaleb to continue his development. Bring in affordable cover that might (small chance) really step it up in a bigger league at a bigger team under Pochettino.

Solid plan all around.

What I like about Benteke is that despite all the talk about his inconstancies he still managed 44 league goals in 88 matches in a poor Aston Villa. I think he would be much more effective in our forward line.

I also think Kane would be equally effective as a 9 or a 10 so he Kane could play in place of him, along side him and behind him.

What I like about Benteke is that despite all the talk about his inconstancies he still managed 44 league goals in 88 matches in a poor Aston Villa. I think he would be much more effective in our forward line.

I also think Kane would be equally effective as a 9 or a 10 so he Kane could play in place of him, along side him and behind him.

Exactly - would like to see teams try to park the bus against those two heavy weights!

i dont see how. We wouldnt play to his strengths. Who is going cross the ball to him

The fact that we don't does not mean we can't.

Anyway have you forgotten our last goal of the season already, a Beckham like cross from the right flank headed in by Kane. Or have so you so soon forgotten Kane's awesome headed goal against the Goons from a Bentaleb cross. Maybe if we had him there would be even more crosses put in the box

And if you actually watch Benteke you will know he also has pace and power on the deck, and in the right team he could be a beast.

And I should stress that his 44 goals are in 88 league matches for Villa

Gentleman I think you are ignoring the simple fact that contrary to what many people think he is not a big lump who relies solely on crosses

you're right he's not

my worry with him is that we've seen him absolutely destroy defences on his day, then have other days where he might as well not be on the pitch, there is a touch of the Ade's about him imo, if the fee were reasonable then I'd be all for it but at 30m plus I've not seen enough from him

I understand and respect your view, I just see so much potential in him. Unfortunately as he is their most important asset and arguably the sole reason they were not relegated I do not see them selling him cheap

I agree with the logic that he has Ames where he is in and out but he would be in a team creating far more chances with us

I saw plenty of Costa last season to realise he is a very limited player but also a very effective one. I think it was the Swansea game where he scored 2 or 3 and hardly moved 5 yards for them combined. He used his power and awareness to be in the right place

I see benteke having similar attributes but arguably more pace and power

The reality is that proven players cost more especially strikers and a 1 in 2 ratio is top class in any league

i like Benteke but i would never pay 32 mill for him. Id pay 15-18 mill max. Still, for some reason i dont see him fitting in with how we play, just a feeling.

He is the one I would love to see in a Spurs shirt, and I think Kane would be a better player playing in behind him.

We are not going to pay 32m for a bench warmer. Much better players out there for That kind of money.

Back