• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Christian Benteke

Arriving at Benteke's fee will certainly be interesting.

Spurs and Villa both have good arguments to say why the fee should be less, or more, respectively. Because of this, I can see it dragging on for a bit into pre-season which really won't be ideal. It's all set up for a deadline day poker hand but I really hope it doesn't come to that.

I think Villa are in the slightly stronger position to be honest. Even if Benteke refuses to play or train he joins us unfit. But the value of getting him signed with an almost full pre-season ready to hit the ground running in the games before the transfer window closes should be totally worth it.

When you have a bottomless pit (sugar daddy) you can focus on deals individually, cough up the cash for the next hot shot and it don't really matter if you end up with 6 forwards on the books. Stockpile players and ruin a few careers along the way.

By and large we are an 'ins and outs' type club in the transfer market, and thinking about it there is probably an element of that at play here. I'm sure they are trying to get Ade out the door (or as near as) so to be comfortable with 'going large' on Benteke.
Levy probably didn't like Ade's financial demands and probably doesn't like him much as a player anymore, but we will get our money back on him (although i did read he got a £4m signing-on fee:eek:) and also his considerable wages off our wage bill. Combine that with Benteke 'only' on 60/70k a week, a decent age/potential profile...with massive sell-on potential or reasonable cash recovery if he's not so hot (hello sunderland,qpr,west ham), then i can see levy doing the deal (£25m does still feel too much).

If we're gonna pay the big money at least get him in for pre-season. BUT too look at it sensibly, if Benteke signed tomorrow and on 1st Sept Ade is still at Spurs, levy may have a seizure.

If wishes were horses, Alan Sugar would have ridden his to victory in his one-man war against the spiralling fees/player-power/wage-inflation. We've to put up, or shut up. What's good for the goose, eh, Danny?

As a player i have no real problems if this transfer goes through, but as a person, IF the reports are true about how he gets himself transfers, then i have a few reservations.
Maybe that has been touched upon in the thread, i must be honest and say i haven't read through it yet.

As a player i have no real problems if this transfer goes through, but as a person, IF the reports are true about how he gets himself transfers, then i have a few reservations.
Maybe that has been touched upon in the thread, i must be honest and say i haven't read through it yet.

Once he joins us im already preparing myself for him demanding another move in the next year or two. There will always be someone offering a more money, new challenges. He is the new Anelka

Once he joins us im already preparing myself for him demanding another move in the next year or two. There will always be someone offering a more money, new challenges. He is the new Anelka

If he turns out to be good enough to demand a move in the next year or so, I'll be delighted. I'll also be amazed.

The thing is its not as though he is like Berbatov and was a relatively unkown player (even though teams were aware of him). We signed Berbs first and then he was mustard and United wanted him. I think the fact that Benteke has already been found by another premiership team will benefit us, and he will stay longer than he would have if we had have signed him first.

Last edited:
Tottenham Hotspur and Aston Villa are in advanced talks regarding Belgium striker Christian Benteke

Tottenham are leading the chase for want-away striker Christian Benteke and are believed to be in advanced talks with Aston Villa for the forward.

A fee is yet to be agreed but is it is believed both clubs are confident of finalising a deal.

Villa slapped a £25m price tag on Benteke after the striker handed in a transfer request but Spurs are convinced they can get their man for closer to £20m.

A significant amount will be included in a sell-on clause that would see Villa receive a percentage of any sell-on fee as well as performance-related factors.

Benteke wants to seal his switch to White Hart Lane before Villa training starts on Thursday.

Enfield Independent

Catch22. If he's good he'll agitate for a move and if he's not then fudge.
On a positive note....
If he has a good season eg 20 plus goals, then I firmly believe we will have made the top 4... and therefore he will have CL qualification with Spurs, and the possible reason to agitate will be lessened... If we had had a 20+ goal a season player last term to back up Bale then I believe we would have got that extra point we needed :(

On a positive note....
If he has a good season eg 20 plus goals, then I firmly believe we will have made the top 4... and therefore he will have CL qualification with Spurs, and the possible reason to agitate will be lessened... If we had had a 20+ goal a season player last term to back up Bale then I believe we would have got that extra point we needed :(
You are right. I'd take that.

Thing is Villa want their cake and eat it. If Levy can negotiate to £21/22m, but villa want a sell-on clause (as the report above suggests) then lets say its at 25%, if we sell at £30m we are only breaking even.

So Villa get big bucks now, we take the potential risk, and then they cash in when we sell-on. That feels a bit unattractive.

Thing is Villa want their cake and eat it. If Levy can negotiate to £21/22m, but villa want a sell-on clause (as the report above suggests) then lets say its at 25%, if we sell at £30m we are only breaking even.

So Villa get big bucks now, we take the potential risk, and then they cash in when we sell-on. That feels a bit unattractive.

The way his career is going we will be selling to Chelsea / PSG / Real Madrid / Emirates Marketing Project next season for £43m anyway so all is good.

lolz.

Writing off the goals he would score for them is a risk for Villa as well, though, and the potential reward for Spurs, if his output lifts us 1 or 2 places in the table, will more than make up for their cut of the sell-on.

And if alot of it is performace based, say 5 mill after 50 apps, if we sell him before he reaches that, the acctual price we paid for him will be less.

Catch22. If he's good he'll agitate for a move and if he's not then fudge.

There's a number of levels he could perform at, not just good/not good. Even if he's not good enough to get a quick move to a bigger club he could still be good enough to do really well for us. Most of us were very happy with the contribution we got from Ade during his loan season, yet despite being available on a low fee no bigger clubs jumped in.

That doesn't sound like Levy to me. Levy is meticulous, he very rarely gets this kind of thing wrong.

If there's a sell on clause I imagine it will be a percentage of the profit we make, not the total fee. I think that's pretty standard when the original fee is as high as we're talking here.

Benteke is a mercenary, but it's a risk we need to take at the moment. That's why I'd love to sign Benteke, hope that he can propel us into the Champions League and in the meantime sign the next big thing and develop him into our star striker.

20m fee upfront 2.5m after 50 apps 2.5m after 50 goals 25% sell on fee activated when spurs sell on at a sale of over 30m.... sorry that probably has big holes in it....

im just very excited and hope we can get this done...the thought of him and Bale is beautiful....proper brick the opposition right up......

come on levy we know you are akin to a pregnant woman in labour struggling to push the deal over the line....really hope Mr Baldini is standing next to you Daniel dabbing your sweaty shiny head with a wet flannel pronouncing at the top of his lungs......'PUSH DANIEL......COME ON DANIEL PUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHH!!!'

Back