• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Changing Broadband provider

fast.co.uk......no traffic management, ever......great download limits, one easy number to call for customer services, rings 3 times and a human being picks up.

Do it

I have not brought a new broadband line for about 4 years - that was a 20mb line at about £23 a month with Virgin.
( currently on a 6 MB line though :eek:)

I'm moving to sunny Watford in a few weeks and need to get a new line.

The market has clearly become a lot more saturated since 4 years ago.

Anyone to avoid using? PlusNet and TalkTalk seem pretty poor. I'm guessing this is the case for most ISPs that just piggy back?

Anyone gone the BT route? Is it worth it to get BT sport?

I have not brought a new broadband line for about 4 years - that was a 20mb line at about £23 a month with Virgin.
( currently on a 6 MB line though :eek:)

I'm moving to sunny Watford in a few weeks and need to get a new line.

The market has clearly become a lot more saturated since 4 years ago.

Anyone to avoid using? PlusNet and TalkTalk seem pretty poor. I'm guessing this is the case for most ISPs that just piggy back?

Anyone gone the BT route? Is it worth it to get BT sport?
Don't go with BT Broadband, they're the same shower of brick they've always been. It seems that BT Infinity is run by a different team though as they've been excellent for me. Still have to pay extra for a bricky BT Sport with bricky commentators though, so I'd rather pay that money to a streaming service I can rely on.

Steer clear of Sky, obviously too.

Last edited:
I've been with Plusnet for a year and a half, only because Virgin screwed me, ended up only being able to get ADSL so went with Plusnet as they were the cheapest, in all honesty its been fine, its £18 a month for a consistent 20mb connection, its only been down for about 3 hours total, you could do worse.

I've been with Plusnet for a year and a half, only because Virgin screwed me, ended up only being able to get ADSL so went with Plusnet as they were the cheapest, in all honesty its been fine, its £18 a month for a consistent 20mb connection, its only been down for about 3 hours total, you could do worse.
£18 plus line rental? Or £18 all in?

My results below.
I pay £27 ish p.m. +Line rental (prepaid for year £120) for Broadband + Telephone - include all landline calls

223261823.jpg

im with virgin and have been great up until a couple of months ago. connection keeps dropping, brickty gaming experience etc

Ring and tell them - Virgin should have a a log off your connection history. Have good moan you could get a refund also, I did:cool:

Jealous we dont have Virgin (or Virgins for that matter hehe) in my town. But gonna go BT Infinity as they advertise 79MB but predict 55MB in my zone.
I used that same speed test app you used on my phone today (ok to be fair they are running a 10day test on my line) and yesterday I had 8MBps... Today.... 0.62MBps!! Yes thats right, 620KBps!!! Thankyou Sky

Go for BT infinity 1with no download limit as you cant get Virgin.
Infinity 2 is faster but much more expensive. BT infinity 1 will do a good job without the hit on your pocket.

My experience with plusnet is good too. Cheap, it never went wrong, and great customer service

Always been with Virgin and am generally quite happy (well over 100mb download). Perhaps consider spreading your budget over a broadband provider and a phone company that offers tethering over 4g (3 mobile do that on an all you can eat package). That way you're covered if your broadband goes down.

Had Cable for over a decade and currently on the up to 152Mb/s package, which is thorough overkill for my household' needs but worked out cheaper due to the triple play bundle deal.

Far more reliable service than it used to be and I can only recall one broadband outage this year.

1419026070.png

Virgin media is the best in my opinion. Have recently moved to Sky and it was a joke how long it took them to sort our internet out properly. I live in a flat and it took them ages to figure out how to install it for reasons I don't know. Three months later I was still waiting to get the internet they'd promised me.

They didn't charge me for it of course but it meant I had to carry on paying Virgin in the meantime.

Since then though I haven't really had to many problems with Sky... It's not as good as Virgin but it's not all that bad either. Will probably switch back to virgin once the contract runs out though.

Had Cable for over a decade and currently on the up to 152Mb/s package, which is thorough overkill for my household' needs but worked out cheaper due to the triple play bundle deal.

Far more reliable service than it used to be and I can only recall one broadband outage this year.

1419026070.png
I hope you feel happy with yourself. Whilst I get 2.5 mb/s! Damn rural broadband piece of brick!

Back