• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

"Champions of 3rd place, we know what we are"

I genuinely dont think Liverpool are that great. I think they are a highly flawed team. They are doing well, I dont deny, but that doesnt change the fact I think they have rather significant weaknesses that the other top teams dont really share.

Ive been a fan for 25 years. In that time we have basically been rubbish. I think there is a natural (and deserved) pessimism in Spurs fans, and I think it still comes out today.

Out of the top 6, I think City are clearly well away and wont be caught.

Right now Id fancy Chelsea to be weaker than Utd when all is said and done. I think its a straight fight between us and Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal for 3rd and 4th at this point.
Out of curiosity what are all of these massive flaws Liverpool have? They are brilliant attacking, for all their apparent defensive frailties they've only conceded seven more goals than us in the league and have made a very good CB signing to solidify things there. They have 'significant weaknesses the other top teams dont share' yet are a side that actually tend to do well against the top teams (yes Im aware we spanked them for once)....

Out of curiosity what are all of these massive flaws Liverpool have? They are brilliant attacking, for all their apparent defensive frailties they've only conceded seven more goals than us in the league and have made a very good CB signing to solidify things there. They have 'significant weaknesses the other top teams dont share' yet are a side that actually tend to do well against the top teams (yes Im aware we spanked them for once)....

It was in here yesterday:
http://www.glory-glory.co.uk/commun...l-2017-18-premier-league-thread.9021/page-127

Essentially I think they cant defend for brick and have poor balance to the team.

This all come about because I picked up on you saying we are the second best team in the league - we arent, and there is noone outside of here who would say that. Can give all the excuses about Wembley you want, even though statistically it hasnt hindered us that much. It all sounds like very 'sexy' comments like 'We came top of the league over two seasons' 'look at wage league table compared to where we are in the league'. Just accept we arent as good as many on here think we are - theres always an excuse as to why we dont achieve something.Yes we've made progress, but the way we try and big up what we have achieved and put down those bigger teams who have actually won more and currently sitting prettier than us in the league demonstrate the rose tinted glasses many on here like to wear....

Well no i wont accept anything if i dont believe it to be true :confused:

I think it's a fairly simple point im making and so far you haven't really come across as though you grasp what im actually saying - if you accept the ground situation is a disadvantage (which you have done and is blatantly obvious) then it follows there will be a number of league points dropped that can be attributed to it - take that disadvantage away and we are likely in a much better position and the idea we are the second best side in the league doesn't get pulled up.

You're focusing on the table as it is rather than what it should be - there's a difference between being better and doing better, currently 3 sides are doing better than us, that doesn't neccesarily make them better sides especially when you factor in the handicap we are playing with.

Last edited:
Going to be tough, personally don't think there is much between Spurs, Liverpool, Chelsea and United. I think we will probably need 35 out of the next 45 points. The sort of form we finished with last season would see us finish comfortably in the top 4, but every point matters at this stage. It's still very much achievable, and like billy I believe we are amongst the very best in this league when we are on song, and everyone is fit. We have one hell of a month coming up, but one game at a time.

Liverpool are close to being the real deal. As are all of the four teams below City. A bit of serious investment could be what tips some over others. Firmino, Mane, Salah are as good as anything in this league going forward and they've only lost 2.

Liverpool are close to being the real deal. As are all of the four teams below City. A bit of serious investment could be what tips some over others. Firmino, Mane, Salah are as good as anything in this league going forward and they've only lost 2.

Like Arsenal they have shown a steadfast refusal to address their weaknesses. Which is why, broadly, Im not too fearful of them in the short to medium term.

They are a club of great potential, of course, but all the while Klopp (and Wenger) is in the job they will flatter to decieve. Real progress will elude them.

Well no i wont accept anything if i dont believe it to be true :confused:

I think it's a fairly simple point im making and so far you haven't really come across as though you grasp what im actually saying - if you accept the ground situation is a disadvantage (which you have done and is blatantly obvious) then it follows there will be a number of league points dropped that can be attributed to it - take that disadvantage away and we are likely in a much better position and the idea we are the second best side in the league doesn't get pulled up.

You're focusing on the table as it is rather than what it should be - there's a difference between being better and doing better, currently 3 sides are doing better than us, that doesn't neccesarily make them better sides especially when you factor in the handicap we are playing with.
Nope, I get exactly what youre saying - simply dont think its as big a hinderance as youre making it out to be....

Like Arsenal they have shown a steadfast refusal to address their weaknesses. Which is why, broadly, Im not too fearful of them in the short to medium term.

They are a club of great potential, of course, but all the while Klopp (and Wenger) is in the job they will flatter to decieve. Real progress will elude them.
They've just bought Van Dijk who is a very good CB. If they invest in a top GK in the summer which I believe they will with that burning hole in their pocket, their team really will look the real deal....

Nope, I get exactly what youre saying - simply dont think its as big a hinderance as youre making it out to be....

That's fine i would say you are massively underestimating the effect of moving stadiums for a year then - the entire build up to our season was dominated by the question marks over how we would cope with the ground switch - both from Spurs supporters and outside of Spurs too - if you think everyone was worrying over nothing and that there has been no negative effect on our performance or points total then good luck to you...

They've just bought Van Dijk who is a very good CB. If they invest in a top GK in the summer which I believe they will with that burning hole in their pocket, their team really will look the real deal....

Defending is about far more than who is at CB. Something Klopp is yet to work out.

He is about to lose Can as well. So Jordan Henderson (*stiffles laughter*) will be their only midfield anchor. And even thats only part of the equation.

As Milo pointed out the other day, Keegans Saudi Sportswashing Machine are a nice proxy if you wanted an example.

That's fine i would say you are massively underestimating the effect of moving stadiums for a year then - the entire build up to our season was dominated by the question marks over how we would cope with the ground switch - both from Spurs supporters and outside of Spurs too - if you think everyone was worrying over nothing and that there has been no negative effect on our performance or points total then good luck to you...
Yeah everyone was going on about Wembley before the season started - I myself was concerned about it. No one talks about it now, wonder why that is....

Defending is about far more than who is at CB. Something Klopp is yet to work out.

He is about to lose Can as well. So Jordan Henderson (*stiffles laughter*) will be their only midfield anchor. And even thats only part of the equation.

As Milo pointed out the other day, Keegans Saudi Sportswashing Machine are a nice proxy if you wanted an example.
Thats a very good point Nayim, but defending is about defending from the front - and they are arguably a better pressing team than us, see the CIty game as a prime example.

Can wont go until the summer, they will have replacements lined up Im sure with all that cash.....

And they bought, lovren, matip, Gomez, klaven and karius before that but they’re no further along in sorting their defense out, it’s about being well drilled, organized and having protection from the team as a whole. All these players were good before they came to Liverpool but have looked poor in this team.

Klopp needs to show he can balance the team between attack and defence.

Yeah everyone was going on about Wembley before the season started - I myself was concerned about it. No one talks about it now, wonder why that is....

Because the season is well underway and it's old news :confused: i know you enjoy going against the grain on here but im finding this a bit boring now, we dropped 4 points at home last season and we're currently 1 point shy of dropping 3 times that amount having just gone past the halway stage this time around - but yeah there has been no effect :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Thats a very good point Nayim, but defending is about defending from the front - and they are arguably a better pressing team than us, see the CIty game as a prime example.

Can wont go until the summer, they will have replacements lined up Im sure with all that cash.....

See Gazzas response.

Money isnt the point, and if it was they have already spent the Coutinho cash on Keita and VVD, which givent heir other business likely wont amount to much anyway.

The do press frenetically, and tire themselves out. And, all the while, leave gaps you could park a 747 in. I dont think they press anywhere near as well as we do, which is much more controlled, compact, and sustainable.

Its no surprise we win games later on. The way we play, teams run themselves into the ground thanks to our pressing and pressure. We always have energy in the tank to finish strong.

And they bought, lovren, matip, Gomez, klaven and karius before that but they’re no further along in sorting their defense out, it’s about being well drilled, organized and having protection from the team as a whole. All these players were good before they came to Liverpool but have looked poor in this team.

Klopp needs to show he can balance the team between attack and defence.
I agree they havent spent well previously, but you'd find it hard to create an argument against Van Dijk being a good signing? Lovren was never that convincing, the rest Id no idea about but VD is a very good CB. They have a better goal difference than us, so unless you're saying we're unbalanced, their balance cant be that bad -its getting them results....

Because the season is well underway and it's old news :confused: i know you enjoy going against the grain on here but im finding this a bit boring now, we dropped 4 points at home last season and we're currently 1 point shy of dropping 3 times that amount having just gone past the halway stage this time around - but yeah there has been no effect :rolleyes:
I dont enjoy going against the grain but I will say something when posters overestimate their own team and are dismissive of rivals - its embarrassing.

Yeah compare it to last season, that was a freak season that was our last in our current home - it all tied in perfectly. You honestly think we would have replicated that form again at WHL this season when all the big boys have come back stronger? Er, no. We have lost one game at home this season - to Chelsea. Thrashed a few teams there now,and dropped points against lower teams who defend deep and couldnt break down - sounds like our standard home form to me. As another poster said its our away form that has been our downfall, but if you want to blame it on poor old Wembley then go ahead - Im sure we'd be flying high comfortably in second with another unbeaten home record this season if it wasn't for playing there.....

I agree they havent spent well previously, but you'd find it hard to create an argument against Van Dijk being a good signing? Lovren was never that convincing, the rest Id no idea about but VD is a very good CB. They have a better goal difference than us, so unless you're saying we're unbalanced, their balance cant be that bad -its getting them results....
We have been worse at the back this season compared to other seasons, yes, which is why we’ve thrown points away and is an area we’ve needed to address. Yet we’re only 3 points behind this lorded Liverpool side!

They’ve scored more and conceded more than the rest of the top 2-5 that we are comparing/fighting with. I find it difficult to understand if you think they don’t need work on their balance? Klopp has even been quoted saying the same!

Lovren came with the same plaudits at Southampton, it’s just 3 seasons of poor performances at Pool seemingly has some people re writing history.

Back